Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home set-up. Does this make any sense?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Something is very wrong here. You could always sue them for false advertising. Seriously I would escalate to the office of the President.

I would love to escalate to someone, but I don't know how or who.
Paul

- HR34 in the family room hooked via HDMI to a Sharp 70" LCD via Onkyo AVR
- HR24 in the den hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 47" LCD
- HR21 in master bedroom hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 32" LCD
- H21 hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the craft room
- HR-24 via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the bonus room
- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

We have been installing SWM 16's... for people who need them.

Nine MRV compatable tuners equal SWM 16.

Eight MRV compatable tuners and several NON-MRV compatable tuners equal two SWM 8's.

It is what it is.

#23 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

I concur. However the local installer says they won't have SWM16's for "a couple of months" and Direct TV says that's not their problem. They don't provide switches.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#24 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I concur. However the local installer says they won't have SWM16's for "a couple of months" and Direct TV says that's not their problem. They don't provide switches.

Work order modification line possibly.. that would put a SWM16 on the work order, and the HSP would be FORCED to fulfill it, no ifs and or buts. (trust me, even if they're out of stock, they can get them from another local HSP, or request a shipment from their distribution centers...)

This would also put the responsibility back on D* to fulfill their offer to you, as it should be IMHO.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#25 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I'd let them install the SWM8s and when it doesn't work, complain until they promise to bring in the SWM16. My install included the SWM16 and I did not have to ask, it was just a part of the order.

#26 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Yea...it sounds like you havn't spoken to the "right" people in the know yet. SWM16 should be provided.

With respect...and you have been :) ...be a little more patient and maybe try to call back again and give it another shot.

Keep us posted.

Edited by HDTVsportsfan, 16 May 2010 - 06:10 PM.

DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#27 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

Be firm. Insist on a SWiM-16. Get D* to put it on the work order.

You can not have MRV with over 8 tuners without a SWiM-16... it's part of what you're paying for with the 'Whole Home DVR' installation. :soapbox:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#28 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Yea...it sounds like you havn't spoken to the "right" people in the know yet. SWM16 should be provided.

With respect...and you have been :) ...be a little more patient and maybe try to call back again and give it another shot.

Keep us posted.

Yeah... I hear you.

After 45 minutes with yet another supervisor, they've rescheduled a service call for Tuesday afternoon. It took me almost half of that time to convince/educate the supervisor on why a SWM16 was required. She swears they'll be bringing one out, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I have to say, it seems Direct TV has done an exceptionally poor job at prepping their CSR's and their installers. Being an IT guy, I really do understand that glitches happen when new systems roll out. But this is training of their own people and there really isn't anyone else to blame.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#29 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Be firm. Insist on a SWiM-16. Get D* to put it on the work order.

You can not have MRV with over 8 tuners without a SWiM-16... it's part of what you're paying for with the 'Whole Home DVR' installation. :soapbox:

Thank you, I just did that. Now... if they actually show up with one will be the next interesting report.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#30 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

I think we all agree that many of the front line folks do not have the correct answers to many questions/situations. This is not surprising, and as many have said is probably to be expected. What is surprising (and obviously quite frustrating) is their inability to get the correct information from "up the chain."

A correct approach would involve a group of thoroughly trained employees dedicated to only assisting CSR's and techs with the "tough" questions....an internal hotline if you will. This may be the case, but since I'm not on the inside I don't really know. It certainly doesn't appear that employees have a central source for the correct info though...

A "central knowledge authority" is a technique I have personally seen utilized with great success across several companies (especially during rollouts.) A properly trained internal D* group would do wonders for the DECA upgrade process, and for customer service.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#31 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

I think we all agree that many of the front line folks do not have the correct answers to many questions/situations. This is not surprising, and as many have said is probably to be expected. What is surprising (and obviously quite frustrating) is their inability to get the correct information from "up the chain."

A correct approach would involve a group of thoroughly trained employees dedicated to only assisting CSR's and techs with the "tough" questions....an internal hotline if you will. This may be the case, but since I'm not on the inside I don't really know. It certainly doesn't appear that employees have a central source for the correct info though...

A "central knowledge authority" is a technique I have personally seen utilized with great success across several companies (especially during rollouts.) A properly trained internal D* group would do wonders for the DECA upgrade process, and for customer service.

There is such a number to a very well versed people at DirecTv. Any installer who has been paying attention should have this number and access code.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#32 OFFLINE   hitokage

hitokage

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

I would love to escalate to someone, but I don't know how or who.

You can try calling the 800 number again, and at the prompts say "cancel service" (even though that's not what you want). Once you finally get connected to someone, explain the situation, and hopefully they'll be able to resolve it.

#33 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

There is such a number to a very well versed people at DirecTv. Any installer who has been paying attention should have this number and access code.

While I believe you, that wasn't in evidence during the aborted installation attempt. The installer spoke to his supervisor and to the Direct TV Order Modification line. The Order Modification line folks were who told him to use two 8 port switches with a SWiM extender. As you and many others pointed out to me, not such a good idea. :)

To keep the fun going, I spent 45 minutes last night on the phone with them yet again. This time, I was simply trying to get MRV enabled using my home network. The first tech knew what I want to do, but couldn't get his system to do it. He sent me to technical support who insisted I needed DECA and set up another appointment. I realize I don't need DECA, but (supposedly) the work order now specifies a SWM16, so we'll see what happens Tuesday afternoon.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#34 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

Well, new installer out here right now. Still brought 2 8 ports that he wanted to daisychain with an extender. After that discussion, now the plan is to upgrade my dish to an SWim dish, then run the cable from the dish to some kind of 8 port splitter. These guys swear you only need one line per DVR from the splitter. We'll see.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

Well, new installer out here right now. Still brought 2 8 ports that he wanted to daisychain with an extender. After that discussion, now the plan is to upgrade my dish to an SWim dish, then run the cable from the dish to some kind of 8 port splitter. These guys swear you only need one line per DVR from the splitter. We'll see.

They're right!
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

However, even though there is only 1 cable to each DVR, it still counts as 2 tuners. If you have more than 8 tuners, a SWiM dish (LNB) will not work.
DogLover

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

SWiM dish = SWMLnb.
SWMLnb = 8 tuners MAX
5 DVR's and 1 receiver = 11 tuners.
2 SWM8's will handle 11 tuners, but will NOT MRV from one SWM8 to another (so some receivers will not "see" each other)
Legacy LNB to SWM16 is the ONLY choice. There is no substitute.

The tech is going backwards by installing a SWMLnb. I mentioned earlier in the thread that it would be wise to cancel install and wait several weeks for these kinks to work themselves out, I'll reiterate that advice now... Until they understand that you REQUIRE a SWM16 your install will not be correct.

Edited by dsw2112, 18 May 2010 - 02:00 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

Probably too late, but don't let him do it.

You will be limited to 8 TUNERS, not receivers, but tuners. 4 Dvrs or 8 non-DVRs, or some mix inbetween.

Some guys have been misinformed that they can run 8 DVRS by using a 8 way splitter. Completely and utterly false.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#39 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just showed all your posts to the installer and he's completely confused now. It's his first MRV/DECA install and his boss is telling him to make the 8 port work. ::sigh::

I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm also getting ready to explode over this.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#40 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

I just showed all your posts to the installer and he's completely confused now. It's his first MRV/DECA install and his boss is telling him to make the 8 port work. ::sigh::

I feel sorry for the guy, but I'm also getting ready to explode over this.

I wish you luck, but the fact is your situation isn't a lack of knowledge, it's a lack of appropriate hardware. Someone on this forum could guide you (or the installer) through almost any setup imaginable (IF you have the correct hardware.) Since the tech does not have a SWM16 there's no going forward. Yes, there are "band-aids" that can be utilized to make two SWM8's "talk" to each other, BUT that wouldn't be a supported configuration...

In the end the tech's boss wants the job completed, so everyone can move on. Unfortunetely, the tech will be right back tomorrow to "fix" the setup if he installs dual SWM8's or a SWMLnb --with a chargeback I might add. This is the time to lick your wounds and send the tech on his way. You'll have to wait until SWM16's are in better supply to complete your install...

Edited by dsw2112, 18 May 2010 - 04:00 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...