Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers unprepared for MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Installers just left. They were completely unprepared for MRV. They didn't have a SWM8, DECA dongle for internet, DECA filter, DECA power supply. The only thing that was even close to DECA ready was a couple HR-24's and a H-24, which are awesome by the way.

They spent a lot of time on the phone with supervisors and came to conclusion that their local shop doesn't have any of the parts they need.

The guys were extremely nice and I kept my cool but the installers and I got screwed by Directv because they weren't prepared. They're supposed to be finding a solution and calling back tomorrow. I'll try to work with these guys because it's not their fault Directv allowed me to schedule installation of service that obviously isn't ready from primetime. If it doesn't get fixed I'll raise hell but for now I'll try to exercise patience. Not a good way to start off for Directv. :nono:

So, unless you know someone else in your area has MRV already, you should wait or do it yourself. I could do now that dish and boxes are up and running if I had parts. If they do come to install make sure they everything single item needed to complete the work or you'll end with a non-MRV setup.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

What was supposed to be installed? Like how many DVRs and DECAs were you supposed to get?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

They shouldn't install a SWM 8 on a MRV install unless you have an international or 18" dish for locals. They should either change the LNB or install a SWM 16 based on how many tuners you have.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

only comment:
Do you know it was DirecTV that was at fault or was it the installation company that said "they could" but didn't have their act together.
Could be the installer did his best & DirecTV did theirs, but "the boss" didn't have a clue.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

The installers weren't prepared so it's ultimately their fault (or their company) but it's irritating that Directv said I could have this done but the intall contractors aren't all ready. I got 2 HR-24's and one H-24. The way I understand MRV from all the drawings is that I need a SWM-8 after the dish but maybe I don't since I got a new dish that only have 1 wire coming off it and I;m getting all my channels (HD, SD, local) through that. I got 24's I need one DECA unit to connect the DECA cloud to the internet. Shouldn't there be some kind of DECA power supply and filters too? Obviously I'm no expert but the installers should be. I understand learning and having issues with the first time but they got little or no support/training from their superiors.

#6 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to the club!! Nice uh. Wonder how much money Directv loses for all this incompetence.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

The installers weren't prepared so it's ultimately their fault (or their company) but it's irritating that Directv said I could have this done but the intall contractors aren't all ready. I got 2 HR-24's and one H-24. The way I understand MRV from all the drawings is that I need a SWM-8after the dish and since I got 24's I need one DECA unit to connect the DECA cloud to the internet.

You don't need a SWM 8 if they used a SWM LNB. Did you at least get SWM?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   bkmkdtx1

bkmkdtx1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

is this in North Texas? i am scheduled for Mon. morning and was hoping the installers had a chance to do a couple of these this weekend before my appointment.

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

The installers weren't prepared so it's ultimately their fault (or their company) but it's irritating that Directv said I could have this done but the intall contractors aren't all ready. I got 2 HR-24's and one H-24. The way I understand MRV from all the drawings is that I need a SWM-8after the dish and since I got 24's I need one DECA unit to connect the DECA cloud to the internet.

The only way to "know" the real fault would be to look at the workorder. If the workorder specified SWM, DECA, etc then the fault lies with the installers. Conversely, if the workorder was not correct then it would be D*'s fault...

A SWM8 is not the only route for MRV, and the likely setup is a SWMLnb. Do you know for sure that a SWMLnb wasn't installed? How many coax lines go to your receivers? If a SWM was installed (which it should have been) and since you have HX24's, MRV should work for you right now. The only addition necessary would be a DECA dongle/PI for internet access. Filters are not necessary with HX24's or for the SWMLnb if it has a green sticker.

Edited by dsw2112, 16 May 2010 - 02:56 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

My installer was a sub of a sub. Directv>Mastec>li'l sub. This guy had never done an install. He came by yesterday an hour and a 1/2 late and didn't complete the order until today, but he didn't even check to see if it was working or not. Now I'm trying, with the help of some kind dbs folks to get this thing going. I'm trying to 'Wow' the wife, so far all I'm getting is 'wifey aggro' !
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

The installers weren't prepared so it's ultimately their fault (or their company) but it's irritating that Directv said I could have this done but the intall contractors aren't all ready. I got 2 HR-24's and one H-24. The way I understand MRV from all the drawings is that I need a SWM-8 after the dish but maybe I don't since I got a new dish that only have 1 wire coming off it and I;m getting all my channels (HD, SD, local) through that. I got 24's I need one DECA unit to connect the DECA cloud to the internet. Shouldn't there be some kind of DECA power supply and filters too? Obviously I'm no expert but the installers should be. I understand learning and having issues with the first time but they got little or no support/training from their superiors.

What equipment do you have in your home? It almost sounds like they got you setup. Not to come off as a jerk but I can see people on this board using limited understanding of what they read on here to complicate the installation. Add the fact that the installers are also going through the learning process this can create a bad situation.

With the H24 and HR 24's installed they can do MRV between each other. The problem is if you have other equipment and they didn't install BS filters or DECA's they will now be susceptible to issues.

#12 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

I'm in College Station and these guys were Masstec subs. I fully acknowledge that I only have a limited understanding but they had even less. They said they'd never done MRV, the had a 2 hour MRV class, and thought when they came they didn't have all they need. Again the guys were nice and easy to work with and I was more than understanding. Just coming here to vent and get some help.

I think I got a SWBlnb. The dish is oval shaped and has 1 wire coming down to a 4-way splitter. They the lines split out to the TVs. In the living room he added a SWM power supply.

The boxes can see each other and have a shared list but won't play the recording on a different box. And the internet isn't connected. I didn't know it could work without a SWM8 because every drawing I've seen has one but I'm guessing you only need the SWM8 if you have a dish with multiple wires. But all those drawing also have a deca power supply and a bandstop filter. I don't have the power supply or filter. The absence of one or both of those is causing the recording to play in different rooms.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

I'm in College Station and I know I only have a limited understanding but they had even less. They said they'd never done MRV, the had a 2hour MRV class, and thought when they came they didn't have all they need. Again the guys were nice and was more than understanding. Just coming here to vent and get some help.

I think I got a SWBlnb. The dish is oval shaped and has 1 wire coming down to a 4-way splitter. They the lines split out to the TVs. In the living room he added a SWM power supply.

The boxes can see each other and have a shared list but won't play the recording on a different box. And the internet isn't connected. I didn't know it could work without a SWM8 because every drawing I've seen has one but all those drawing also have a deca power supply and a bandstop filter. I don't have the power supply or filter. The absence of one or both of those is causing the recording to play in different rooms.

Please list the receivers you have in your home right now. It's possible we can get this working for you shortly.

They didn't close the work order so MRV programming was not added to your account automatically. Let's get the equipment sorted out quick and we can go from there.

#14 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

I didn't see the work order but it was a new install with whole home DVR. I don't know if that's all it said and the installers were supposed to know what it would take to setup the system or if Directv should have told them piece by piece what to bring. And, I was never asked by Directv about connecting DECA to the internet I thought that was part of the plan.

#15 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

2 Hr24s
1 H24

#16 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

But all those drawing also have a deca power supply and a bandstop filter. I don't have the power supply or filter. The absence of one or both of those is causing the recording to play in different rooms.

The bandstop filters are not necessary if you only have HX24 receivers. The 2nd P/S you're speaking of is for the DECA dongle (to router) for internet and also doesn't affect MRV. Neither of these is a factor in your situation. As Shades mentioned what receivers do you have? We should be able to help you from here on out.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

I didn't see the work order but it was a new install with whole home DVR. I don't know if that's all it said and the installers were supposed to know what it would take to setup the system or if Directv should have told them piece by piece what to bring. And, I was never asked by Directv about connecting DECA to the internet I thought that was part of the plan.

Ok so you're set for MRV. You do not need anything else. They installed the SWM and all the receivers you have include the internal DECA's. So all they need right now is the broad band deca (which at this time is a normal DECA with a PI). If you have their number you can call them and tell them that if they can bring a normal DECA and a PI they can install that and close their job out. As far as the MRV part go online and login to your account. Select MRV programming. Right now there is no reason that you should not be able to play something from a list as your equipment is correct. The only thing you cannot do is use On Demand or widgets until they install the broad band deca.

#18 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

I know everyone is anxious to get MRV/DECA installed, but the fact is that on rollouts like this, equipment is often delivered late and/or in much smaller quantities than needed, making it impossible to get everyone trained and familiarized with the new equipment (that the vast majority of installers are JUST hearing about for the first time).

Folks here have heard about DECA and MRV for a year, but the average installer is JUST finding out this stuff even exists, and many have never even seen the gear yet. Just because DirecTV sets a roll-out date doesn't mean that everyone's had the stuff for a month to play around with.

Like every other rollout, if you wait a couple of weeks, things will smooth out.

#19 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

2 Hr24s
1 H24

Is that what you're asking. I have 2 HR24's and 1 H24. I can watch TV on all 3.

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

Going to a viewing now but with the help of the people on here I bet you will be watching something on MRV within the hour.

spam firewall