Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers unprepared for MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:16 PM

Going to a viewing now but with the help of the people on here I bet you will be watching something on MRV within the hour.

Thanks for the info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Sounds like he just needs MRV enabled to use it.

Then, to use DOD he'll need 1 more coax ran from the splitter to a DECA adapter with a PI and ethernet from his router to the DECA and he'll be set.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#23 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

So, I have an HR24 in the living room and in the bedroom plus a H24 in the office. The guys did know how to access MRV in the setup but I don't know if it's "activated". I think I remember a message saying I had it. I recorded a ESPN poker show on the living room box. Both other boxes can see this recording and note that it's recording on the living room box but when you try to play that recording it has the following message: "Playback failed. No audio/viedo data packets recieved from server."

#24 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

2 Hr24s
1 H24

The HX24's Have the Deca module built in- If your Swim LNB and Swim spliter have a Green lable then that's all you need for MRV, Connecting to the internet they should have installed a Deca Module /with a power supply and the cat 5 cable would connect to your ROUTER-Which you would need to connect and configure-NOT the installlers, They Should have provided the DECA unit, But Like my Shop the Whearhouse is CLOSED on Sunday's So you have to call around to other tech's or sup's to find equipment.

ThE installers Did not get your service order untill this AM and if they didn't have a part-then they should re-roll on monday.

Go to Setup,Mulitiroom and "opt in" then reboot your receivers and try again, you can only stream one show to another unit at a time.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#25 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like he just needs MRV enabled to use it.

Then, to use DOD he'll need 1 more coax ran from the splitter to a DECA adapter with a PI and ethernet from his router to the DECA and he'll be set.

Can they just split the line at the end of one the lines with a two-way splitter then run one to the reciever and put the deca adapter and power supply to connect the internet or does it have to be a separate line coming from the 4 way splitter?

#26 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

[quote name='WestDC']The HX24's Have the Deca module built in- If your Swim LNB and Swim spliter have a Green lable then that's all you need for MRV QUOTE]

I think this is what I have. The splitter label is green and the input says swm in.

#27 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

I'm in College Station and these guys were Masstec subs. I fully acknowledge that I only have a limited understanding but they had even less. They said they'd never done MRV, the had a 2 hour MRV class, and thought when they came they didn't have all they need. Again the guys were nice and easy to work with and I was more than understanding. Just coming here to vent and get some help.

At least your Mastec folks took a 2 hour class;)

The install tech supervisor that I talked to said they hadn't had the class yet.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#28 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Can they just split the line at the end of one the lines with a two-way splitter then run one to the reciever and put the deca adapter and power supply to connect the internet or does it have to be a separate line coming from the 4 way splitter?

That should work fine.

#29 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

. As far as the MRV part go online and login to your account. Select MRV programming. .

My account on Directv.com says Whole-home DVR service currently activated.

#30 OFFLINE   amorse2183

amorse2183

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

What equipment do you have in your home? It almost sounds like they got you setup. Not to come off as a jerk but I can see people on this board using limited understanding of what they read on here to complicate the installation. Add the fact that the installers are also going through the learning process this can create a bad situation.

With the H24 and HR 24's installed they can do MRV between each other. The problem is if you have other equipment and they didn't install BS filters or DECA's they will now be susceptible to issues.

but isn't the whole point of this that he shouldn't have to deal with that? Now, the OP's situation seems to be fixed quite quickly once the installer comes back with the proper equipment. That's all well and good. In the end it really doesn't matter who is at fault. The only important fact is that the OP doesn't have what he paid for. MRV is still new, and there will likely be hiccups for some time to come. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Even I can understand that we as customers must be patient, and this is coming from a person that feels even 1 second of service that is not 100% perfect is unacceptable.

It's just unfortunate we have to be patient at all. I'd rather not have to pay until it's all hooked up 100% properly and working 100% properly, but we live in the real world and that isn't going to happen. But I certainly don't have to like it.

#31 OFFLINE   kyledr04

kyledr04

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

I works now. I double checked that MRV was selected on my account and all 3 of my recievers then I rebooted all 3 boxes and the swm power supply.

I still could not play the original ESPN poker show we were trying to view. But I recorded part the Boston/Orlando game and can watch it on all the boxes. Must have been something corrupt with that first recording.

So MRV works now. I'm not sure the installers knew it was supposed to work but they did it right (except the DECA adapter for internet) we just had trouble.

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great.

#32 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

IMHO, this is all DirecTV's fault. If I'm a customer, I don't care if a job is subcontracted out - it's still the contractor's (D*) responsibility to make sure their subs are doing the job correctly.

#33 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

Glad you got it working.

#34 OFFLINE   CuriousG

CuriousG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

Ultimately, it is a poor communication between DirecTV and the companies in the field. My DECA install was yesterday and the techs showed up with the DECA parts, but no information on the workorder indicating I needed a SWM installation to make the DECA work. They had most of the SWM parts on the truck, but had used their last power inserter earlier that morning. Had to get another truck from more than ten miles away who was also on a schedule to bring them a power inserter.

#35 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

All of this hasn't been "right", but this is only four days old and everyone is on a steep learning curve.
This doesn't make it "right", but somewhat understandable, and what is more important [to me] would be how well each installer is trying to accommodate the customer.
As they say "crap" happens, it's how well everyone deals with it that counts.
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Very true, my friend- very true.

It's just that sometimes I wonder if D* knows how much it costs us customers to be home for the install - either zero wages or a valuable vacation day. If the install is successful, no sweat, but to require me to lose another day's wages or blow another vacation day is just not cool.

#37 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Glad to hear you got it working and the techs used the correct equipment (with the exception of the broadband DECA.)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#38 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

It's just that sometimes I wonder if D* knows how much it costs us customers to be home for the install - either zero wages or a valuable vacation day. If the install is successful, no sweat, but to require me to lose another day's wages or blow another vacation day is just not cool.

I completely understand.
"Next time" don't be the first one, [please move to the back of the bus. :lol: ]
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Not to be crass but if you choose to prioritize an installation over work then they can't control that. I get that you still have to set aside time, I have 4 hours set aside tomorrow, so it's still an inconvenience if it doesn't go well or go at all. So I get the premise of wasting time but I don't think they should care about lost wages. I've taken time off of work when I order expensive items that are being shipped to me and I don't want to miss the shipment. I can't get pissed at the company for me losing money/vacation if the delivery was not there when it said it was because I chose to miss work. I can get upset that they didn't do what they said they were going to though.

#40 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

All of this hasn't been "right", but this is only four days old and everyone is on a steep learning curve.
This doesn't make it "right", but somewhat understandable, and what is more important [to me] would be how well each installer is trying to accommodate the customer.
As they say "crap" happens, it's how well everyone deals with it that counts.

No, this is only four days old in the national rollout. It's been in pilot for over a couple months in four metropolitan areas. That's what pilots are for, to find out all the issues/bugs that will happen when you start a deployment. These issues should not be happening now, IMHO.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall