Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers unprepared for MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

No, this is only four days old in the national rollout. It's been in pilot for over a couple months in four metropolitan areas. That's what pilots are for, to find out all the issues/bugs that will happen when you start a deployment. These issues should not be happening now, IMHO.

I absolutely agree. A botched rollout. Time to end the excuse making. They dropped the ball big time.:nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

No, this is only four days old in the national rollout. It's been in pilot for over a couple months in four metropolitan areas. That's what pilots are for, to find out all the issues/bugs that will happen when you start a deployment. These issues should not be happening now, IMHO.

I'm not going to disagree "but" isn't your issue this weekend that YOUR installer didn't have the correct stock?
This still falls in their laps and no matter how long or many test markets there were, if your guy didn't order the parts, then who's fault is it?
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

I absolutely agree. A botched rollout. Time to end the excuse making. They dropped the ball big time.:nono2:

I'm not trying to make any excuses.
What I'm trying to do is point to who's to blame.
The install companies had the parts lists to order from some time back.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

I'm not going to disagree "but" isn't your issue this weekend that YOUR installer didn't have the correct stock?
This still falls in their laps and no matter how long or many test markets there were, if your guy didn't order the parts, then who's fault is it?

That was only one of the problems. The install companies supervisor said that they hadn't been trained on "Connected Home", they didn't have any SWiM16's (never saw one), then wanted to put two SWiM8's in to handle 12 tuners. Looking at other posts it looks like training didn't go well (installers didn't know what they were doing) like not knowing how to connect HR20-100's or handle the broadband/internet connection. There's also a bunch of posts about arriving at customers homes without the necessary hardware to perform the install. I also saw a post that DirecTV technical support telling someone that DirecTV won't install a SWiM16 at a customer location.

Sorry, but as I said, IMHO, there are too many of these type of issues being reported. Before DirecTV decided to do a national rollout they should of at least made sure that their installation companies/contractors had a supply of parts to allows for installations. When a contractor that covers a metro area the size of Austin says they don't have any SWiM16's and have never even seen one that's a problem that should have never occured.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#45 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

It is an entire systemic failure of Directv and their contracted installation partners to meet their customers expectations. From the CSR's who are clueless, to the order system that is missing key components, to the installer's supervisors who are not knowledgeable of how it works, to the installers who try there hardest but ultimately did not receive adequate if any training. Just feel like venting some tonight.:)

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

I'm not trying to make any excuses.
What I'm trying to do is point to who's to blame.
The install companies had the parts lists to order from some time back.

And from some posts I've seen it looks like the companies tried to order parts by DirecTV wasn't putting them in the supply chain in large enough quanties so they have them in the field.

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

It is an entire systemic failure of Directv and their contracted installation partners to meet their customers expectations. From the CSR's who are clueless, to the order system that is missing key components, to the installer's supervisors who are not knowledgeable of how it works, to the installers who try there hardest but ultimately did not receive adequate if any training. Just feel like venting some tonight.:)

And from some posts I've seen it looks like the companies tried to order parts by DirecTV wasn't putting them in the supply chain in large enough quanties so they have them in the field.

Both of you are right, there really isn't anything to question.
RAD you know the memos as well as I do about this.
Stock is in short supply.
Marketing should have waited another month or two and kept the Beta going till then.
Anybody calling DirecTV on Sunday most likely isn't getting the first string CSRs [IMO].
I haven't counted up which have good installs and those that don't, so guessing at the ratio is pointless.
Those that got it working, even though the installer was doing this for the first time, are happier than those that haven't gotten what they wanted [DUH, even I can see this :lol:].
The $300 SWiM-16 seems to be everyone's biggest bitch and what a deal to get 300-400 dollars worth of hardware for $99.
Bet nobody knew how many of us on the forum have been lying in wait for these puppies.
Demand has FAR exceeded supply.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

Both of you are right, there really isn't anything to question.
RAD you know the memos as well as I do about this.
Stock is in short supply.
Marketing should have waited another month or two and kept the Beta going till then.
Anybody calling DirecTV on Sunday most likely isn't getting the first string CSRs [IMO].
I haven't counted up which have good installs and those that don't, so guessing at the ratio is pointless.
Those that got it working, even though the installer was doing this for the first time, are happier than those that haven't gotten what they wanted [DUH, even I can see this :lol:].
The $300 SWiM-16 seems to be everyone's biggest bitch and what a deal to get 300-400 dollars worth of hardware for $99.
Bet nobody knew how many of us on the forum have been lying in wait for these puppies.
Demand has FAR exceeded supply.

BINGO (for what I bolded)! Except for someone at DirecTV licking their chops at bringing in a bunch of new revenue there was no reason to rush this out if the supply chain wasn't stocked to handle the installations.

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

BINGO (for what I bolded)! Except for someone at DirecTV licking their chops at bringing in a bunch of new revenue there was no reason to rush this out if the supply chain wasn't stocked to handle the installations.

And we both know his name.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Aah - Marketing.... ;)

#51 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

And we both know his name.

His name is Mud in my book.

#52 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

His name is Mud in my book.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/953PkxFNiko&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/953PkxFNiko&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

#53 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

While I agree there are certainly some issues with the MRV roll out I think for the average customer it will be ok.

So far the major issues have been unsupported flags for people without DECA, and people who need SWM 16's. Both of these situations are in the minority. Unfortunately I'm in one of these camps as well and I'm predicting the tech to show up tomorrow without a SWM 16. However I would say that more people will be happy with their MRV situation than unhappy.

#54 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Think about it, guys... D* hasn't started advertising 'Whole Home DVR' yet, hasn't even sent an email to customers talking about it. Their only public statement is on the website, and that's pretty low key. The only reason there was a feeding frenzy starting the 13th was that people here knew about it and created demands far above what D* could reasonably expect.

Yes, the CSRs and Techs need better training and documentation, and the supply chain isn't what it should be. But as others have said, it's only four days in. And MRV works, well (even for those of us with our own networks), and at a fair price.
:goodjob:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#55 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:34 AM

dwcolvin,
They are most certainly advertising it - It was the biggest item on the D* homepage 30 seconds ago.

#56 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:20 AM

dwcolvin,
They are most certainly advertising it - It was the biggest item on the D* homepage 30 seconds ago.

But (without arguing over the size of the ad on the website), you have to go to the DirecTV website to see it. It's not in TV ads and hasn't been communicated to current subscribers (even the MRV Beta ones, AFAIK).

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#57 OFFLINE   CuriousG

CuriousG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

And MRV works, well (even for those of us with our own networks), and at a fair price.
:goodjob:

That last part is subjective. You could say "and at a low price". Personally, I don't consider charging an already paying customer additional money for a no-cost item "fair".

#58 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

That last part is subjective. You could say "and at a low price". Personally, I don't consider charging an already paying customer additional money for a no-cost item "fair".

No cost? :confused:

There is considerable cost to designing, developing, testing, supporting and enhancing the firmware that enabled MRV. Yes, it's 'only' software. So? Then there's the engineering cost of developing DECA, which allows MRV for non-rocket scientist customers (and installers). And then there's the costs of documentation, training and support.

$3/month is dirt cheap, IMHO (just don't tell D* :D)

#59 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

well, I have two dvr's in one room and two other tvs connected to non dvr's. I can drop a non dvr and save $2 per month. Also from what I read I can also probably get a HR24 to replace one of my non dvr's and the whole thing done for ±$150. I won't be able to make one machine record from another, but if I manage my series links correctly that is a non issue and on the odd chance it isn't I can program from my computer in about two minutes or walk upstairs. No biggie. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Also, from reading everything, I figure, no need to do this for about four or five weeks.

Edited by dhkinil, 17 May 2010 - 09:02 AM.
bunch o' typos

#60 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

well, I have two dvr's in one room and two other tvs connected to non dvr's. I can drop a non dvr and save $2 per month. Also from what I read I can also probably get a HR24 to replace one of my non dvr's and the whole thing done for ±$150. I won't be able to make one machine record from another, but if I manage my series links correctly that is a non issue and on the odd chance it isn't I can program from my computer in about two minutes or walk upstairs. No biggie. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Also, from reading everything, I figure, no need to do this for about four or five weeks.

You can schedule a recording on any HD DVR from any HD receiver. Many of us are hoping this function will be added to the DVRs as well after the MRV smoke clears (are you listening, D*? :))

Somehow, I think the number of multi-DVR households comes as a surprise to D* (which makes no sense, since they know every box at every account). :confused: Otherwise, they would have understood the demand for SWiM-16s.

spam firewall