Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers unprepared for MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

Installer just left and DECA working great. H24 added to replace R15 at no charge. I've ordered an HR24 from Solid Signal and I'll use it to replace the H24 when it arrives. Installer initially didn’t believe that the regular DECA unit could be used to connect to my network, but after a phone call to DIRECTV he was convinced. Thanks to this site my system is up and running and the installer now knows how to connect to the network for his next customer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

No cost? :confused:

There is considerable cost to designing, developing, testing, supporting and enhancing the firmware that enabled MRV. Yes, it's 'only' software. So? Then there's the engineering cost of developing DECA, which allows MRV for non-rocket scientist customers (and installers). And then there's the costs of documentation, training and support.

$3/month is dirt cheap, IMHO (just don't tell D* :D)

While that is true, I tend to believe that is the kind of stuff the $7/month DVR fees should have been used to pay for. This is just an extension of the DVR function, which otherwise hasn't changed in years, so what is that $7/month paying for?

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

This ship has sailed.
the cost is going to stay.
I don't like it either, but the "net gains" are staggering for DirecTV and they've already "done the math" to justify they can charge for it.
18 million customers
60% have HD service.
$3/month from how many before they're adding 1 million a month to their bottom line?
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

I think the cost is dirt cheap....
$3 is about right...

#65 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

You can schedule a recording on any HD DVR from any HD receiver. Many of us are hoping this function will be added to the DVRs as well after the MRV smoke clears (are you listening, D*? :))

Somehow, I think the number of multi-DVR households comes as a surprise to D* (which makes no sense, since they know every box at every account). :confused: Otherwise, they would have understood the demand for SWiM-16s.

no, when they get done will have three dvr's and nothing else.

#66 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

DirecTV has always understocked high-dollar, relatively low-demand items.

Since the beginning, SWM8 switches and SWM expanders have been in very short supply and never enough to meet the demand. SWM16s will actually be in greater demand, since there are no work-arounds for 9-16 tuners and DECA, but given their price, they'll be even harder to get ahold of.

And given their cost, HSPs wait until the last minute to order them, only to have them on allocation (i.e., you only get a fraction of what you ordered), and so you'll be a week or two into the rollout and still have techs that have never seen the item in person, much less know how to install it or troubleshoot it.

Training is expensive, and big companies hate to pay for it, because they either eat the cost or have to pass it on to their customers. Training also means taking techs out of the field, which is always hard to do.

But it's the old Catch-22. Customers "in the know" demand the product NOW, even if it's not ready, and the Marketing department is right there with them. Yet engineering, training, and admin wants more time to test and prepare. Somebody has to make a decision, and no matter which decision is made, someone isn't going to be happy.

#67 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,787 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:44 PM

But it's the old Catch-22. Customers "in the know" demand the product NOW, even if it's not ready, and the Marketing department is right there with them.

In this specific case, I would be most happy to wait awhile. Unfortunately, DirecTV has placed an arbitrary deadline of May 20th on me. I don't have a choice (and I don't want to lose MRV capability that I currently have).

What's really crappy in my case is that (1) I have Total Choice +HDDVR, so I can't even get it setup without having to change to the unbundled package for an extra $1 a month and (B) I already have DECA on all of my DVRs (but lack it on my H21). I have 9 tuners (with the H21 being on a WB68 and the others on SWM). So to get MRV activated I need an SWM16, my programming package changed (at a recurring monthly cost to me), an installation, and all this has to happen in just a couple of days. Yeah, right.

#68 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

those unhappy with $3 per account (and I am one) should feel lucky it did not go the original price route of per receiver.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#69 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

those unhappy with $3 per account (and I am one) should feel lucky it did not go the original price route of per receiver.

Is that what they first announced then changed it? If it were per receiver they would have virtually zero takers.

#70 OFFLINE   CuriousG

CuriousG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:50 AM

What's really crappy in my case is that (1) I have Total Choice +HDDVR, so I can't even get it setup without having to change to the unbundled package for an extra $1 a month....

FYI, I was able to keep my legacy package when I activated MRV this past weekend. The CSR did have to switch me over to the newer package in order to get the MRV authorized on the account, but then had a supervisor switch it back to the legacy package.

#71 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

Actually this is what I was quoted yesterday when I activated the service after the tech installed the equipment. The CSR told me it was per receiver.

#72 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

reading your previous post are you saying that the installer connected one of your DVRs to your home network? The reason I ask is that a Tech at D* told me yesterday when I was trying to order MRV that they would not connect to my home net but that it was a requirement that at least one of the DVRs must be connected.

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

reading your previous post are you saying that the installer connected one of your DVRs to your home network? The reason I ask is that a Tech at D* told me yesterday when I was trying to order MRV that they would not connect to my home net but that it was a requirement that at least one of the DVRs must be connected.

this is a bit :confused:

What needs/should happen:
Each receiver gets connected to the DECA network and they install one more DECA to bridge to your home network.
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Veryoldschool, Thanks for the reply, this is what I was thinking but yet he told me that was my responsibility and they could not process the order unless I was connected to my home network, he also could not tell me whether that connection should be deca or cat 5, I guess I will do the keep calling until I get somebody who knows routine, I also sent an e-mail to solid signal to see if they can help but have nt heard back from them yet.

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

Veryoldschool, Thanks for the reply, this is what I was thinking but yet he told me that was my responsibility and they could not process the order unless I was connected to my home network, he also could not tell me whether that connection should be deca or cat 5, I guess I will do the keep calling until I get somebody who knows routine, I also sent an e-mail to solid signal to see if they can help but have nt heard back from them yet.

"The deal is" the installer isn't going to "mess with" your network.
The installer should/must setup a DECA at/near the router and find an open port on your router.
He should ask you to check your internet access [go to google :lol:].
He should next plug in the cable to the router and ask you to check your internet again.
If it works, he's done.
If it doesn't work, he unplugs your DECA to router cable, and then tells you to fix it. He's now done.
See how this might sound like what you were told?
A.K.A VOS

#76 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:10 AM

Yeryoldschool, your paitence is most appreciated but I still don't understand, my home net router is on the next floor up from my DVR, I do not have any cable of any sort run to it from the DVRs:

A) should the D* installer run this on his MRV install

B) if not and I have to run should it be a cat 5 or coax cable

D* told me that it was my responsibility to have some sort of cable from at least 1 DVR to the router yet he could not tell me what tuype of cable it should be. I understand that they won't fool with network set up but will the run a cable?

sorry for being stupid but I am Technically challenged!

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Yeryoldschool, your paitence is most appreciated but I still don't understand, my home net router is on the next floor up from my DVR, I do not have any cable of any sort run to it from the DVRs:

D* told me that it was my responsibility to have some sort of cable from at least 1 DVR to the router yet he could not tell me what tuype of cable it should be. I understand that they won't fool with network set up but will the run a cable?

"Stupid" no
"Uninformed" maybe, but "smart enough" to be here and ask.

The installer "should run" a coax to where your router is, connect the DECA with a PI, then plug in the CAT5 jumper to your router. If this crashes your home network, he'll unplug it and tell you to fix it and then plug it back in.
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

This is where the process is really failing. It's not supposed to be traumatic for non-rocket scientists. :mad:

My understanding (from reading materials on the Installer Forum) is that Techs are required to install a SWM-connected coax to wherever your Router is located, install the DECA and power supply, and hand you the Ethernet cable to plug in.

You need to have a spare port on your Router or have installed an Ethernet Switch with a spare port, an available electrical outlet, and would have to provide your own Ethernet cable if you want one longer than the short one provided with the DECA.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#79 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

This is where the process is really failing. It's not supposed to be traumatic for non-rocket scientists. :mad:

My understanding (from reading materials on the Installer Forum) is that Techs are required to install a SWM-connected coax to wherever your Router is located, install the DECA and power supply, and hand you the Ethernet cable to plug in.

You need to have a spare port on your Router or have installed an Ethernet Switch with a spare port, an available electrical outlet, and would have to provide your own Ethernet cable if you want one longer than the short one provided with the DECA.

IF it's on the work order. If not, then no.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#80 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

IF it's on the work order. If not, then no.

And whose responsibility is it to get the Work Order correct? :confused: It's not like customers fill it out, or even see it. The default for 'Whole Home DVR' should clearly be assume a home network.

On the Installer Forum, Techs understood the new cable run requirement well enough to ask if they were going to get paid for it. ;)

spam firewall