Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installers unprepared for MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

And who's responsibility is it to get the Work Order correct? :confused: It's not like customers fill it out, or even see it. The default for 'Whole Home DVR' should clearly be assume a home network.

On the Installer Forum, Techs understood the new cable run requirement well enough to ask if they were going to get paid for it. ;)

The CSR is supposed to ask the customer if they have broadband internet and want it connected. I have a feeling that many are not doing so, nor are customers asking for it. Add in that some techs think they can plug in the existing ethernet cable to the 2nd port on some dvrs and are good to go. Stir and let simmer, recipe for a mess.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Veryoldschool, that is exactly what I was trying to clear up in my mind, you have been a big help and I appreciate it greatly!

#83 OFFLINE   jokertrm

jokertrm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

My original post on this topic

I think the most frustrating part of this is the lack of knowledge starting with the installer and continuing through 3 tiers of Customer Support. I didn't get a straight answer on how the system is supposed to function until I spoke to my 2nd supervisor.

I know it's early, but wow DTV has some glaring training issues.
HR21-100 & HR22-100

My Setup

#84 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:18 AM

My original post on this topic

I think the most frustrating part of this is the lack of knowledge starting with the installer and continuing through 3 tiers of Customer Support. I didn't get a straight answer on how the system is supposed to function until I spoke to my 2nd supervisor.

I know it's early, but wow DTV has some glaring training issues.

So .. If folks here make this assumption going in, you can help mitigate problems. Better to say "no, you don't have the right gear" than to let them get halfway through the install and then realize that you either have to go back to how it was set up or you're stuck in an interim solution.

Again, I'd suggestion patience, persistence and politeness. I know many folks here are simply taking patience to the extreme and waiting a month or two to even think about ordering DECA.

Hopefully things will get worked out soon and yeah, it's clear that some of these folks are learning on the job (regardless of any training). In extreme cases, folks that have never been trained are tackling the projects, and I can with certainty that this should not happen .. But, the fact remains that it is happening.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#85 OFFLINE   jokertrm

jokertrm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

So .. If folks here make this assumption going in, you can help mitigate problems. Better to say "no, you don't have the right gear" than to let them get halfway through the install and then realize that you either have to go back to how it was set up or you're stuck in an interim solution.

Again, I'd suggestion patience, persistence and politeness. I know many folks here are simply taking patience to the extreme and waiting a month or two to even think about ordering DECA.

Hopefully things will get worked out soon and yeah, it's clear that some of these folks are learning on the job (regardless of any training). In extreme cases, folks that have never been trained are tackling the projects, and I can with certainty that this should not happen .. But, the fact remains that it is happening.

As of this morning I'm able to use the service as I understood it to work. I referred to this post to get networking to the rest of my DVRs using a Single DECA.

I agree patience and persistence is key, I only got agro after being on the phone for hours then speaking to an uneducated supervisor. Since it's working the way I want I'm all good now. :D

The most important thing for anyone considering this install is to be familiar with your equipment and research the forums and don't be afraid to let the installer know if something isn't working right.
HR21-100 & HR22-100

My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Due to these growing pains, is there any chance that the 5/20 shut off date can be postponed? I'd hate to think of the confusion that could result if we go in, have MRV enabled (again, thanks for the instructions) and then try to order Whole House MRV...

#87 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

Due to these growing pains, is there any chance that the 5/20 shut off date can be postponed? I'd hate to think of the confusion that could result if we go in, have MRV enabled (again, thanks for the instructions) and then try to order Whole House MRV...

I've asked/recommended an extension, but :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#88 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks; would stink if the people who tested this and have it working over Ethernet were to be cut off because of a learning curve and lack of hardware...

#89 ONLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Installer came to my house yesterday to do the install. I have HR24, HR20, and he was going to install a new receiver in the guest bedroom. All would be connected via MRV and I wanted to continue to receive DoD.

This was all told to the directtv appointment scheduler when I made the appointment.

We received a confirmation call that stated the install would take 1.5 hours.

Installer arrived at 11:30am and left at 4:30pm. He arrived with 2 DECAs and the receiver. He had a guess on how to hook up the HR24 and new receiver but had no clue on how to get the HR20 to work. He also stated that the Southeast (I am in Florida) did not currently have the DECA-to_Broadband equipment so I could not get DoD.

With the help of this forum, I printed out the diagrams of how to hook up the HR20 (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177061) and a diagram on how to hook up the DoD using another DECA (http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177308). He went back to the office and picked up two more DECAs and proceeded to follow the diagrams as posted on this website. It worked great!

I now have MRV throughout my house and can also access DoD. The only question I have is that:

How do I access my pictures and music on my PC like I use to when I did not have the DECA network? Is it not possible to play pictures and music across the network once you have your MRV connected via a DECA network?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP FROM THIS FORUM!

#90 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

How do I access my pictures and music on my PC like I use to when I did not have the DECA network? Is it not possible to play pictures and music across the network once you have your MRV connected via a DECA network?

Should be the same old way, though it might take some time and you may need to look on your PC to "unblock" the receivers again as they may look like
"new ones" to it.
A.K.A VOS

#91 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

This seems to be the thread to ask this question (correct me if I am wrong). I have a fully working MRV system on the beta using my home network (2 HR21-700's, 1 H21-100 and 1 H21-200). My network connections are all hardwired (no wireless or powerline to the DVR/receivers). I have no SWiM or DECA installed but everything works. I have been reviewing these threads to determine whether there is any advantage to upgrading to SWiM/DECA as a part of this roll-out. At this point, it does not appear to me there is.

1. Am I missing some 'future proof' advantage to the DirecTV overall solution (while avoiding the 'training'/'equip. availability' issues)? I sure haven't seen it so far. The only possibility I seen is some potential network traffic management improvements.

2. If I go the non DECA/SWiM solution and just authorize the 'Whole Home' solution (w/ the $3 monthly charge), can I take advantage of the hardware side of this offer at a later point (with the $99 + $49 charges) if I find some reason in the future?

Thanks for any advise. If this is already answered somewhere, I missed it in the deluge.

#92 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

This seems to be the thread to ask this question (correct me if I am wrong). I have a fully working MRV system on the beta using my home network (2 HR21-700's, 1 H21-100 and 1 H21-200). My network connections are all hardwired (no wireless or powerline to the DVR/receivers). I have no SWiM or DECA installed but everything works. I have been reviewing these threads to determine whether there is any advantage to upgrading to SWiM/DECA as a part of this roll-out. At this point, it does not appear to me there is.

1. Am I missing some 'future proof' advantage to the DirecTV overall solution (while avoiding the 'training'/'equip. availability' issues)? I sure haven't seen it so far. The only possibility I seen is some potential network traffic management improvements.

2. If I go the non DECA/SWiM solution and just authorize the 'Whole Home' solution (w/ the $3 monthly charge), can I take advantage of the hardware side of this offer at a later point (with the $99 + $49 charges) if I find some reason in the future?

Thanks for any advise. If this is already answered somewhere, I missed it in the deluge.

I would say the biggest reason for making the switch now is that you know the pricing structure .. Pricing is always subject to change, so the old saying applies "a bird in the hand or two in the bush?" You just don't know if you'll get the two in the bush or even one of those two in the bush.

If you do go unsupported, down the line you'll probably have to get them to switch you back to 'n' or (none) before you can even order the upgrade. There are a lot of opportunities for it to be problematic in the future (though not impossible). I'd almost say that if you're thinking about it anyway, just go ahead and go for it now .. but that's just me.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#93 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

I would say the biggest reason for making the switch now is that you know the pricing structure .. Pricing is always subject to change, so the old saying applies "a bird in the hand or two in the bush?" You just don't know if you'll get the two in the bush or even one of those two in the bush.

If you do go unsupported, down the line you'll probably have to get them to switch you back to 'n' or (none) before you can even order the upgrade. There are a lot of opportunities for it to be problematic in the future (though not impossible). I'd almost say that if you're thinking about it anyway, just go ahead and go for it now .. but that's just me.

Doug, Thanks for the response. Your thinking is what was driving me but the combination of "If it ain't broke, . . ." and the fact that the last two times I have had to have a service person at the house (hardware probs), I have gotten 2 great ones. I'm due for "my other brother Daryl" I'm afraid. Such a short window makes the decision a bit harder.

P.S. Does the SWiM/DECA installaton change the router configuration in my home network for IP addresses and port passthrough??

Edited by kymikes, 18 May 2010 - 11:03 AM.
Another question

#94 OFFLINE   DaveC

DaveC

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:14 AM

I now have MRV throughout my house and can also access DoD. The only question I have is that:

Confirming what VOS said….
I was running MRV (Beta) and MediaShare over my network. Yesterday I had the DECA/SWiM install done. Everything worked the same as it had before the install. The MediaShare capability worked immediately and nothing was required on the PC side.

Dave

#95 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

P.S. Does the SWiM/DECA installaton change the router configuration in my home network for IP addresses and port passthrough??

Your network configuration does not need to change at all, only the method of connecting (DECA vs. Ethernet).

#96 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

Your network configuration does not need to change at all, only the method of connecting (DECA vs. Ethernet).

Many thanks for your help.

#97 ONLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Should be the same old way, though it might take some time and you may need to look on your PC to "unblock" the receivers again as they may look like
"new ones" to it.

Thanks for the ideas. The installer said that the PC connection could not work with the DECA setup, so I never tried it. After these suggestions, I went home and rebooted the DVRs and unblocked the DVRs in the PC. Just as you said, I was able to clearly see my network again.

THANK YOU so much!

P.S. One should not believe every word an installer says who has to use diagrams I printed from this site so that he can complete the job. :lol:

#98 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:38 AM

The only problem encountered (installation wise) yesterday was that the installer had trouble activating an HR23-700... it turned out he had previously activated it at another customer's home, but that customer thought it looked too "fat" in his entertainment center. :lol: That's like people who buy TVs to fit entertainment centers instead of the other way around.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...