Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" install go? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" install go?

1. Everything was installed ontime without any problem (68 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

2. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts being unavailable (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to problem (5 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post. (24 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Installation was completed but there were many problems/issues that installer ran into (37 votes [23.12%])

Percentage of vote: 23.12%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Just curious, for folks that ordered the "Connected Home" upgrade and had your installation how did it go? As typical probably the majority of folks coming here had or are having problems which would skew the results but still wondering how it's going.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I was the first in Tucson to get an HR24 and SWM16. The only hiccup was the lack of knowledge on how to get the home network into the mix. The install took nearly 4 hours. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the job, the price and the end result. Makes me quite unafraid of the two year commitment I just started.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Something not posted: I'm going to wait because it looks like D* doesn't have the "stuff" in place to provide for a sufficient percentage of successful installations yet.

I think six sigma is usually pretty goofy, but it could've helped here.

#4 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

Mine went fine overall -- the installer did not know that I didn't have a SWM compatible dish so he had to do a dish replacement but once that was done, everything else was easy. I also did not connect to my home network. We're not going to have the boxes connect since we are on satellite internet.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

I think you need a choice that reads:

"Lots of issues, but everything got installed... finally."

That was the case for me. I voted for #4, tho. :)

Besides installation difficulties, my installer had no clue what to bring with him. It's a good thing he called before coming, so I could give him a list of what he was going to need.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

"Something else"

I did it myself. :D
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

I voted something else. I cant even get an install scheduled.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#8 OFFLINE   rgraetz

rgraetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Everything got installed finally after a few call to customer service. Was promised HR24's when I ordered but they were not going to give them to today. Tech didnt have PI for the network DECA so it's not connected yet.

#9 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Tech just left here after a lot of trouble. My H20-100 was replaced with a h24-100. I said I needed and am21 for ota channels that DirecTv does not provide. I called tech support and they agreed that I needed a am21. But after trying for 20 mins she stated that they could not have two workorders open at the same time.

Tech went to my HR20-700 and it could not find the sat. It was unable to find the sat. He then went up stairs and tried my HR20-100 and it found the sat but did not find any dvr's that were networked. He then tried my HR21-100 and it found the sat but not other dvr's were networked.

We the took the HR20-100 downstairs and put it in place of the HR20-700 to see if it was cabling or dvr. The HR20-100 found the sat with no problem but still no dvr's were networked. The tech then replaced the HR20-700 with a HR24-500. After dowloading code to make MVR active the H24-100 found the HR24-500 that is in the living room.

Went back upstairs and found that the lights on the DECA unit were not on, because it was hooked up wrong. reversed the connections between the two sat port and the light came on and this dvr found the new HR24-500. Was not sure if that was ok because there was nothing recorded on it yet. I went to the H24-100 and it saw the HR20-100 in the bedroom and I could play back recordings from the bedroom HR20-100.

This just left the HR21-100 that still did not work. After buch playing around and tech calling tech support that said to replace the HR21-100. He replaced it with a HR24-500. And now I had mrv working on all the units.

I still have to call DirecTv and get two AM21 for the recievers that were changed. I also need to get a deca unit for access to the internet. I will have to wait until he closes his work order before I call DirecTv back for the rest of my equipment.

I now have three new receivers and one old one.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

Something else: Self Install

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

I know if they replace an owned receiver for not being SWM compatable, it is now leased (per ACDT).

I wonder if they replace it because it isn't working properly if the replacement is also owned, since they are all the same in their system (:) and :(), it wouldn't be an upgrade.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

Something else: For less than the $206 they want I did it myself, excluding the DECA adapters so far.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Something Else: Installers had no idea how to hook up the internet connection using a normal DECA Adapter and wanted to cancel the install. After talking them into completing the install it initially didn't work due to how the PI to the SWiM LMB was installed, but this was a pre-existing condition.

#14 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:41 PM

Something Else: Install window had been set for Saturday between 12-4, the sub of a sub(D*>MASTEC>yet another sub) arrived an hour & 1/2 behind schedule. He came without the 2-way splitter, so he ended coming back today with it. Now everything is hooked up, but he wasn't able to stick around to see it through as he had other obligations. My DVRs aren't seeing one another. DECA module connected to the top Ethernet jack(all lights are GREEN) on my HR20-100 with the BSF. Here are some screen caps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is the above splitter even approved for use with D* DECA application?

Posted Image

Additionally, under Network Services, when it defaults to "ConfigurationType" with Automatic selected & i hit "Connect Now" it says> starting network services>then it goes to "Unable to Start Network Services" error code <301>

<Multi-Room
a) Share Playlist=YES
B) Status:
1. Multi-Room=Authorized
2. No networked DVRs Found

Edited by texasmoose, 16 May 2010 - 11:05 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#15 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

That splitter is not even approved for swm let alone with deca. I do believe the configuration of the wiring is wrong from looking at the picture. But am pretty sure a bsf is not to be used on the hr20 100 but am not going outside to confirm right now.
Splitter is definatly not compatible

Edited by DaaQ, 16 May 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the swm sat line is on its own and the deca goes on port 2 of the dvr

#17 OFFLINE   hitokage

hitokage

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:31 AM

I think six sigma is usually pretty goofy, but it could've helped here.

It probably would have made things worse.

#18 OFFLINE   DFWHD

DFWHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

Tech just left here after a lot of trouble. My H20-100 was replaced with a h24-100. I said I needed and am21 for ota channels that DirecTv does not provide. I called tech support and they agreed that I needed a am21. But after trying for 20 mins she stated that they could not have two workorders open at the same time.

Tech went to my HR20-700 and it could not find the sat. It was unable to find the sat. He then went up stairs and tried my HR20-100 and it found the sat but did not find any dvr's that were networked. He then tried my HR21-100 and it found the sat but not other dvr's were networked.

We the took the HR20-100 downstairs and put it in place of the HR20-700 to see if it was cabling or dvr. The HR20-100 found the sat with no problem but still no dvr's were networked. The tech then replaced the HR20-700 with a HR24-500. After dowloading code to make MVR active the H24-100 found the HR24-500 that is in the living room.

Went back upstairs and found that the lights on the DECA unit were not on, because it was hooked up wrong. reversed the connections between the two sat port and the light came on and this dvr found the new HR24-500. Was not sure if that was ok because there was nothing recorded on it yet. I went to the H24-100 and it saw the HR20-100 in the bedroom and I could play back recordings from the bedroom HR20-100.

This just left the HR21-100 that still did not work. After buch playing around and tech calling tech support that said to replace the HR21-100. He replaced it with a HR24-500. And now I had mrv working on all the units.

I still have to call DirecTv and get two AM21 for the recievers that were changed. I also need to get a deca unit for access to the internet. I will have to wait until he closes his work order before I call DirecTv back for the rest of my equipment.

I now have three new receivers and one old one.

D* ended up canceling my install because they say you can't use OTA with MRV due to the Hx24 units not being compatible with AM21s. Folks on this forum have confirmed they will, but 3 different calls to back to D* and they won't install me due to needing OTA. They really don't understand the technology yet, so maybe I'll wait until the fall to get this done. That way they've got time to learn it...
An HD Addict Since 2006 - Must Have More HD Nationals...

#19 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

D* ended up canceling my install because they say you can't use OTA with MRV due to the Hx24 units not being compatible with AM21s. Folks on this forum have confirmed they will, but 3 different calls to back to D* and they won't install me due to needing OTA. They really don't understand the technology yet, so maybe I'll wait until the fall to get this done. That way they've got time to learn it...

TYhey said that to me also, but what they are refering to is you can't diplex the ant for the ota into the deca/mrv setup. Once you explain that the ant connection will go to the am21 they may understand. The am21 will work with MRV via DECA. My am21's have shipped from DirecTv.

#20 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:49 AM

Installer arrived on Saturday without a clue of the equipment needs. Called his supervisor who was also clueless on how to install a system with 11 tuners. No SWM16s available, was going to use 2 SWM8s which I stopped dead in their tracks. Sent installer home, they were going to check with D* about what equipment I need, but still insisted that 2 SWM8's would work just like a SWM16.:nono2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...