Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" install go? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" install go?

1. Everything was installed ontime without any problem (68 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

2. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts being unavailable (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to problem (5 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post. (24 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Installation was completed but there were many problems/issues that installer ran into (37 votes [23.12%])

Percentage of vote: 23.12%

Vote

#181 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

At least your installer had extra DECA's on the truck. Mine came with only one per STB and no splitters for the (3) HR20-100's. Of course, he didn't know how to set up an HR20-100 properly before he came here. They noted on my work order that they would bring a BB DECA when they get one. To get everything working, I plugged the DECA near my router into a Dlink switch and then to the STB. It is working flawless so far.

In about a month, I will order an HR24 and replace one of my HR20-100's so all I need is a power supply to convert one of my existing DECA's for the router hook up.

Now my wife understands why I keep all these parts stored in boxes in the closets around the house.

Except that didn't help me. The first tech installed the receiver DECAs but wouldn't reconnect the Internet. The second tech would hook it up, but DirecTV wouldn't let him. So I have to wait until Wednesday and see if they'll do it then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Steve thanks for the info on MRV concerning use of apps after install on other bxs. Also, my wife came home today after 2PM and is getting caught up on her Young & Restless episodes she missed .Thanks again for your wishes and info.I,ll post back after Sat. 5/29 install.

#183 OFFLINE   bigmac94

bigmac94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSneads Ferry NC

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

Well This Needs to be said...
I needed a SWIM install & along with it I figured,Might as well go with DECA.
My biggest fear was the 3 HR20-100s & I had a H20-100 that was going to be swaped out for a H24-100 & thats Cool!
As most of you have posted,the Installs are, with some exceptions not going well.(to the Installers Credit The Training left them unable to do a lot of the Installations.-New Stuff!!
Well my guy arrived & proceded to tell my all my homework was for nought,Did not need a Bandstop Filter for my HR20-100s just had to be sure all the Parts had a Green Label. K` he sounded positive...
Well 3 hrs later,(moved Dish,changed out the LNB,Checked the wires he was using,replaced the Caps or whatever ya call them things.
He was going nuts... He`d get a picture on one HR20-100 & another would lose its Picture. This went on for a couple days,Finally my guy had enough,called DirectV and asked permission to replace all the HR20-100s.
Well we got 3 HR21-700s & H24-100 and theys talking up a storm.
I Did all the Media stuff & the Reciever Stuff and we are good to go..
Turned out very well for me and I must say,I was very Fortunate to have an installer who was as Responsable as he was. Also gotta thank DirectV for Doing what Needed to be done so we could have Quality Picture & Service.
WELL done ALL!!
If Its Worth Doing,Its Worth Doing Best You Can.

#184 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

bigmac - you were down for a couple of days?

#185 OFFLINE   rleffler

rleffler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

I had the installer from hell this afternoon. Actually, he was a nice guy, just very clueless to DECAs. After six hours, I was told that he couldn't troubleshoot it any longer and had other customers to service and left.

Needless to say, I called Directv to complain. The CSR I spoke to was appalled at the fact the tech just left. I had the manager of the installation company call a few minutes later. He was just going to have the tech return to finish the job. I had to remind him that the tech was unable to complete the job and left.

When the installer called I asked about a SWiM 16 and was told he was bringing one. He brought two SWiM8s with a Dual SWM Expander. He kept claiming it was a SWiM16.

The DECAs aren't seeing each other, so I suspect it's a switch. I also have one DECA on a HR20-100 that won't light up. You can move it to another unit and all three lights come on.

The question I do have is how are the DVRs addressed when using the typical DECA cloud? I thought that they would just use DHCP to request an address. Mine are getting a 169 private subnet, but also can't see the broadband DECA. I suspect that is because they can't see the DHCP server and the Internet. I even went so far as enter static addresses that I used previously to no avail.

#186 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

When the installer called I asked about a SWiM 16 and was told he was bringing one. He brought two SWiM8s with a Dual SWM Expander. He kept claiming it was a SWiM16.

He'w wrong, two SWiM8's and an expander is NOT the same as SWiM16's. They don't have the bridging between the two of them that the SWiM16's have which allow DECA's to communicate between the two seperate SWiM8 networks.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#187 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

I had the installer from hell this afternoon. Actually, he was a nice guy, just very clueless to DECAs. After six hours, I was told that he couldn't troubleshoot it any longer and had other customers to service and left.

Needless to say, I called Directv to complain. The CSR I spoke to was appalled at the fact the tech just left. I had the manager of the installation company call a few minutes later. He was just going to have the tech return to finish the job. I had to remind him that the tech was unable to complete the job and left.

The DECAs aren't seeing each other, so I suspect it's a switch. I also have one DECA on a HR20-100 that won't light up. You can move it to another unit and all three lights come on.

The question I do have is how are the DVRs addressed when using the typical DECA cloud? I thought that they would just use DHCP to request an address. Mine are getting a 169 private subnet, but also can't see the broadband DECA. I suspect that is because they can't see the DHCP server and the Internet. I even went so far as enter static addresses that I used previously to no avail.

You're right. Because they can't see the DHCP server, your H/HR's are self-generating addresses as if they were on an isolated DECA cloud.

I'd just sit tight until you get a SWiM-16, because that's the only way you're going to get all your boxes to see each other inside the cloud.

Then you'll need to get that cloud properly connected to your LAN.

BTW, HR20-100 DECA connection is unique. I'm not looking at a diagram, but if I remember it correctly, the co-ax out from that DECA needs to be split and connected to both SAT1 and SAT2 on the HR20-100.

Edited by Steve, 24 May 2010 - 08:04 AM.

/steve

#188 OFFLINE   wcr

wcr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

My installation was finally completed today after two missed appointments. For my troubles, my remaining SD DVR was upgraded to HD gratis.

The tech knew exactly what he needed to do for the SWM and DECA. The new DVR is the HR24-500, which was new to him.

In the end, DTV made things right and I'm glad I hung in there for one more attempt.

#189 OFFLINE   jmjaym

jmjaym

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

I had my installation on 5/19. It was the installers first DECA. He said that they had classroom training but no hands-on. He did seem to know what he was doing though. He changed the LNB to SWiM, hooked up the DECAs and replaced an HR20 that had a bad tuner with an HR-24. He tried to call and get the workorder amended to add the new receiver but the CSR said he couldnt do that so he had his office call in a new w/o to get the receiver. A coworker brought it over. I requested an HR-24 and he got me one. So I ended up with an HR22, 24, 20 and an R16 that was part of the upgrade to replace an R10

After the install, only 2 of the 3 HRs could see the network. The HR20 could not. He said that it would eventually. Wrong. On Demand is not working either except on the HR20 because he left the cat-5 connected to the router from it.

I thought that was the reason that the HR20 wasn't seeing the network so I disconnected the cat-5 connection from the HR20 to the router. After resetting and refreshing-nothing.

I see from reading other posts that it is because he did not install a DECA and PI on the router, is this correct? Also, If I have a SWiM LNB and 4 DVRs is there a line left to install the DECA on the router?

The installer (not sure if its same one) is coming back on Monday (5/24). We'll see how it goes. They usually call early in the morning to let you know what time they are coming. I plan on telling him that he should have another DECA and PI with him.

#190 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

I see from reading other posts that it is because he did not install a DECA and PI on the router, is this correct? Also, If I have a SWiM LNB and 4 DVRs is there a line left to install the DECA on the router?

The installer (not sure if its same one) is coming back on Monday (5/24). We'll see how it goes. They usually call early in the morning to let you know what time they are coming. I plan on telling him that he should have another DECA and PI with him.

The dish has only one coax, which is split as needed.
Yes you need one more DECA + PI and this can be split off the coax without affecting the 4 DVRs.
A.K.A VOS

#191 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

He'w wrong, two SWiM8's and an expander is NOT the same as SWiM16's. They don't have the bridging between the two of them that the SWiM16's have which allow DECA's to communicate between the two seperate SWiM8 networks.

Hey guys;

My MRV install is scheduled for tomorrow, and I have six DVRs (12 tuners) of which granted only two at present are HR2Xs to be MRV'ed with the rest SD-DVRs.

I was wondering though should the installer show up like this with two SWM-8s in an E2 expander assembly this way if I would still be within my rights or be proper to still demand a SWM-16 for future-proofing in case I choose to add more MRV capable receivers later even though two SWM-8s will work for the time being as long as the DECA cloud and internet router DECA dongle are connected to the same SWM-8?

#192 OFFLINE   MikeG0628

MikeG0628

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

Installer came on Saturday toward the end of the scheduled window (11 for an 8-12 window). He spent 15 minutes looking around but didn't have any of the equipment he needed. He went to the warehouse to get what he needed. About 2 hours later he came back. He spent two hours workiing but it wasn't working right. He wanted to get another part, go on another install, and then come backw ith his supervisor to finish up.
He finally came back at about 6:30. It turns out that he tried to use 2 SWM-8s to satisfy my 13 tuners since he siad there weren't any SWM-16s in San Antonio. So, he re-hooked everything back up the way it was and will call me back when a SWM 16 gets delivered.

#193 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

I've started a new poll at http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177895, please use that thread going forward.

Thanks

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#194 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Closed @ OP Request
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...