Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" install go? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" install go?

1. Everything was installed ontime without any problem (68 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

2. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts being unavailable (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to problem (5 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post. (24 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Installation was completed but there were many problems/issues that installer ran into (37 votes [23.12%])

Percentage of vote: 23.12%

Vote

#41 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

That's what I had too. I believe they need to activate it over the phone.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

That bottom photo shows no default gateway or DNS IP - that would make finding any Internet pretty much impossible. The correct network setup is required.

Yes, Steve reminded me that this is probably the 160.254.8.x address that's self assigned (no DHCP server) - thus no Internet connection.

While I tested that months (a year?) ago, I didn't remember it being a Class B address.

And also no reason to blank it out for the photo!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#43 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

I called on Friday to schedule the MRV install. They said they could do Monday. Sweet! I arrange time off from work and get my receivers ready for the install.

Monday morning came and I got a call from the installer. They don't have the parts in stock! This was expected from what I've been reading in the internet forums but still disappointing. DIRECTV launches MRV apparently without being prepared in the least!. Instead of shipping the equipment and letting me install it, I now have to take ANOTHER day off and hope that they bring everything I need!

I'm very disappointed that I was charged over a hundred bucks plus three dollars a month so I can lose two days of vacation. I was hoping to spend my vacation somewhere else but it looks like that somewhere else will be my house.

"I'm sorry" won't get my days back nor will it replace the money I've given DIRECTV. "We regret the inconvenience" won't even scratch the surface. I'd love to see how they'd react if they had to lose vacation days over something you spent money on and didn't get anything to show for it on the day it was expected.

I talked to a very nice CSR who helped me out and also have been talking to the install company as they try to get the parts in today still but none of that should have had to happen if everyone was prepared on day one.

Consistency is good. I had the exact same experience.
I even spoke to the installation company this morning and made sure they knew that I needed an SWM-16. Sent the installer anyway without one.

Out of work today.
And another day to come.

Disgraceful to treat long standing customers this way. Of course when the 20th rolls around I am sure they will turn off MRV.

#44 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Everything self-installed, no issues:lol:

Activation took two phone calls but wasn't effective until a few hours after the second call:confused:

#45 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Just got the automated message call saying tech will be here in an hour will post an update to see if I'm in with the no swm 16 in stock club. Tech just called he used the last SWM 16 they had on his last job due to a customer changing their order once he got there. I had to reschedule but at least he didn't say 2 SWM 8's would work.

Edited by Shades228, 17 May 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   dem

dem

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

Posted Image

Is the above splitter even approved for use with D* DECA application?

Isn't the SWM control channel at 2.3 MHz? That splitter looks like a bad idea.
Dave

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Isn't the SWM control channel at 2.3 MHz? That splitter looks like a bad idea.

While it isn't "a good idea", it also isn't the problem either.
The receiver has good SAT signals, good DECA LEDs and is having problems with its network configuration. This pretty much is in the receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:47 PM

Something Else: I had set up the install for Sunday 12-4. The install was to include replacing one of my HR20's with a HR24. The installer arrived at the end of the 12-4 window. I asked him if this was his first install and he said yes. He had just completed the class a couple of weeks ago, then went on vacation, and came back to this install. He took a look around to see what I had (3xHR20-700's, 1xWB68, and 1xAU9 Slimline, I believe (has 4 cables coming from the switch on the back of the dish)). He didn't say much except that he had to call his supervisor. After about 40 mins, I went out and asked him where we were on this install and he said we were on track. He was prepping the DECA modules when I met up with him. I asked him if I could help, like setting up the HR24 replacement. He said that he didn't have an HR24 on his work order. I said, "Then there's gonna be a problem." He said that all of my HR20's were compatible with DECA and I responded that was not the issue. I said that the DirecTV CSR promised an HR24, I agreed to a 2-yr commitment for the HR24 and there should be an HR24 in the mix. I called DirecTV and verified that there was no HR24 in the order. The tech called some order support line and I spoke with someone who repeated that the HR20's were compatible so there shouldn't be an issue. He also said that he could include a HR2x in the order for an additional $99. He couldn't get a HR24 and the HR23 would be the best he could do. I said that I could get that deal any day of the week and I had only agreed to this upgrade at this price since it included a HR24. So I canceled the install. I will be calling DirecTV today to discuss another install.

He also wanted to replace the switch on my dish to a SWM switch. Is this really necessary?

Wow, this reads like I typed it. I had the exact same experience. I, however, let the install proceed, and called DIRECTV back to discuss the lack of the HR24. The agreed it should have been included, and set up another appointment for this morning to install that and to correct an incomplete WHDVR install. Tech arrives today sans HR24. Another call to DIRECTV and they are willing to send me one for $99, and they can't guarantee it will be a 24. I say no thanks. I called back a while later and spoke with sevral people, and now have another appointment for Wednesday for the installation of an HR24. Fingers crossed....

#49 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Wow, this reads like I typed it. I had the exact same experience. I, however, let the install proceed, and called DIRECTV back to discuss the lack of the HR24. The agreed it should have been included, and set up another appointment for this morning to install that and to correct an incomplete WHDVR install. Tech arrives today sans HR24. Another call to DIRECTV and they are willing to send me one for $99, and they can't guarantee it will be a 24. I say no thanks. I called back a while later and spoke with sevral people, and now have another appointment for Wednesday for the installation of an HR24. Fingers crossed....

Bottom line, a CSR should not be promising Hx24s.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#50 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

+1

Also people should not feel entitled to one either.

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Didn't you see the memo?
"I'm special" :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#52 OFFLINE   judson_west

judson_west

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

+1

I don't feel entitled. I just what we agreed on. If that doesn't happen, then I want to renegotiate the work order.
Video/Audio 1: DirecTV HR24-500 (HDMI)-> Sony STR-DA5200ES -> Sony KDL-52XBR9
Video/Audio 2: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-32EX500
Video/Audio 3: DirecTV HR20-700 (HDMI) -> Sony KDL-40EX500

#53 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

I don't feel entitled. I just what we agreed on. If that doesn't happen, then I want to renegotiate the work order.

They cannot agree on a model number.

#54 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

I said that the DirecTV CSR promised an HR24, I agreed to a 2-yr commitment for the HR24 and there should be an HR24 in the mix.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, per se, but to help with a common misunderstanding, which affected you.

Ordering MRV/DECA does NOT mean you'll get upgraded to H24/HR24s!

CSRs can promise you anything they want, but have NO power to deliver specific receiver models, EVER!

Notes in the system are irrelevant and meaningless. They often don't reach the tech, but even if they do, he can freely ignore them. Only work order line items carry any weight, and work orders do NOT specify model numbers, just receiver categories like "Basic Receiver" or "HD-DVR".

DECA-compatible receivers will NOT be upgraded under the DECA upgrade policy unless you pay for that upgrade, and even then, a specific model number can not be guaranteed by anyone.

I'm sorry that your CSR promised you something they were in no position to deliver, but DirecTV policy is clear and well-known here (and has been discussed ad nausium).

This isn't a new policy; the DECA upgrade policy is just an extension of long-standing receiver policy, which is: you can only order receivers by category, and you get whatever the tech has on his truck in that category.

#55 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

You didn't mention your pre-existing network, but your DVR shouldn't be getting a 16.8.25.x ip (unless you work / live with HP!)

Can you give us more details on your internet connection and router?

I'm not connected to a router. I was under the impression that's not required. I know it is if I want to be able to take advantage of VoD, Media Sharing, Directv2pc, but we don't use these features anymore.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#56 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

+1

They cannot agree on a model number.

I'll ammend my post slightly. I was not promised an HR24. I was, however, promised an HD DVR, which was not delivered. I said HR24 because the installer said that's all they have now. They don't install anything else. I knew there was no guarantee of an HR24 when the HD DVR was offered.

That said, if a CSR says that an upgraded receiver is included in my WHDVR upgrade, DIRECTV needs to stand behind that. I realize mistakes are made, but that doesn't get them off the hook. My installation appointment is Wednesday, and if they show up with something other than an HR24, they won't hear a peep out of me. If they don't show up with an HD DVR, however, I will get back on the phone with DIRECTV.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

I'll ammend my post slightly. I was not promised an HR24. I was, however, promised an HD DVR, which was not delivered. I said HR24 because the installer said that's all they have now. They don't install anything else. I knew there was no guarantee of an HR24 when the HD DVR was offered.

That said, if a CSR says that an upgraded receiver is included in my WHDVR upgrade, DIRECTV needs to stand behind that. I realize mistakes are made, but that doesn't get them off the hook. My installation appointment is Wednesday, and if they show up with something other than an HR24, they won't hear a peep out of me. If they don't show up with an HD DVR, however, I will get back on the phone with DIRECTV.

I only know what you have from your sig, but what HD DVR was coming and why and how much extra was it?
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

I only know what you have from your sig, but what HD DVR was coming and why and how much extra was it?

The CSR offered to upgrade my R16 to a "whole home DVR capable" DVR for no charge. Seemed too good of a deal to pass up. There was no mention of model, but I hoped that since it was coinciding with a DECA install that it would be an HR24. When the installer arrived, he said that's all they have now (but it wasn;t on his work order, so he couldn't install it).

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

The CSR offered to upgrade my R16 to a "whole home DVR capable" DVR for no charge. Seemed too good of a deal to pass up. There was no mention of model, but I hoped that since it was coinciding with a DECA install that it would be an HR24. When the installer arrived, he said that's all they have now (but it wasn;t on his work order, so he couldn't install it).

"OK" this turned out to be "bad data", because had it been a R15, it would have needed to be swapped to be compatible with SWiM. This only means a R16 and doesn't cost anything as it's part of the DECA upgrade. She "may have meant well", but the computer knew better and kicked it.
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

Installer came out, did part of the install, told me he just needed to put in the band stop filter for the 20-100, then heard him leaving. He came back a bit later with the second DECA and we got it working opted into the beta, but I had to call DirecTV to get the service activated. At first they told me my receivers weren't compatibe with DECA (HR20-100 and HR22-100), then told me it was $3 per receiver.

My signal strengths are great now though.

spam firewall