Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" install go? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" install go?

1. Everything was installed ontime without any problem (68 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

2. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts being unavailable (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to problem (5 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post. (24 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Installation was completed but there were many problems/issues that installer ran into (37 votes [23.12%])

Percentage of vote: 23.12%

Vote

#61 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

I voted for the last one, I guess it is the closest to what happened here. The installer got here on-time, but saw I needed a SWM 16 and it was not on the work order. After telling him DTV knew this was needed and I have already been on the phone with them for hours trying to get the install set, he called and was able to located the equipment needed to do the install. The installer did a great job, however I think I knew more about what MRV was ( and he even said he could use some training from me on this LOL ) I now have 4 DVR's and one HD receiver hooked up on DECA and it is working great. I now have the SWM system set up with just one dish and can get rid of multiple wires running around the house. I can also get rid of 4 additional Cat 6 cables. Overall I rate the install A+ with the installer and F to Directv for: 1. Keeping me on the phone for about 3 hours and 3 call backs after being disconnected just to get the install set and 2. Not putting what I needed on the work order. 3. Having the rep from India try and tell the installer after he finished, the SWM was not needed and he should not have installed it (I have 9 tuners) and 4. Even contracting this type stuff to India and not giving the jobs to the people in USA.

I tipped the installer and am now a member of the DECA force. Oh and when I asked him not to do the 02468 to download the latest SW he had no problems with that either. I explained that all my recordings would be erased if he did and he was fine with not doing it.
Directv with 4 HDDVR's 3 HR24's and one HR21
Dish with Hopper/sling, Hopper/sling adapter and 4 joeys

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

"OK" this turned out to be "bad data", because had it been a R15, it would have needed to be swapped to be compatible with SWiM. This only means a R16 and doesn't cost anything as it's part of the DECA upgrade. She "may have meant well", but the computer knew better and kicked it.

None of that is my problem. Again, I know mistakes happen, but when a representative of a company makes an offer, the company needs to stand behind it if it is reasonable to do so (which in this case it mose certainly is).

All should be well on Wednesday.

#63 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

My install was pretty smooth. I had 2 supervisors and 1 installer since I was the first DECA install for this group. My only glitch was having to refresh services to get out of MRV Beta after installation was complete. Doug Brott solved that.

This is definitely a great system. My wireless setup worked OK most of the time between DVRs but watching an HD show on my H21 box was painful. Now everything is smooth and jitter free.

I don't like D* computerized billing much. My due date is the 21st and I paid it several days ago. After the changes and prorates D* decided that I owe an additional 1.78 and it was due on May 21.

Edited by oldengineer, 17 May 2010 - 05:31 PM.
Add content

2H/1J

#64 OFFLINE   sbuckler

sbuckler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Had an install set for between 12-4 today. Tech called at 2:30 and I asked if he had a SWM16.....he said no and we both agreed to not waste our time. He was as discouraged as I was and gave me his number to call in to D*. Talked to a nice lady and I listed the equipment I need. She wrote a new work order and said they will ship the sub the parts overnight to them. Have a new install date for Wednesday............we'll see.

#65 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Installation was completed, but installer ran into problem child HR20-100 and first attempt was unsuccessful. When DirecTV had the HSP send a tech again this time he had the diagram of how to install the HR20-100 but didn't have a splitter. The problem was resolved by replacing the HR20-100 with a HR24-500.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#66 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,481 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

I called on Friday to schedule the MRV install. They said they could do Monday. Sweet! I arrange time off from work and get my receivers ready for the install.

Monday morning came and I got a call from the installer. They don't have the parts in stock! This was expected from what I've been reading in the internet forums but still disappointing. DIRECTV launches MRV apparently without being prepared in the least!. Instead of shipping the equipment and letting me install it, I now have to take ANOTHER day off and hope that they bring everything I need!

I'm very disappointed that I was charged over a hundred bucks plus three dollars a month so I can lose two days of vacation. I was hoping to spend my vacation somewhere else but it looks like that somewhere else will be my house.

"I'm sorry" won't get my days back nor will it replace the money I've given DIRECTV. "We regret the inconvenience" won't even scratch the surface. I'd love to see how they'd react if they had to lose vacation days over something you spent money on and didn't get anything to show for it on the day it was expected.

I talked to a very nice CSR who helped me out and also have been talking to the install company as they try to get the parts in today still but none of that should have had to happen if everyone was prepared on day one.

I had a feeling when I never heard from you today that it wasn't good news.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#67 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

I voted for #2, although my install was completed today. The installer told me he didn't have the DECA network module. When I explained to him that a receiver DECA unit could be used for the same thing he didn't believe me. When I convinced him he told me he couldn't use a SWIM power supply for the DECA. A call to DIRECTV convinced him he was wrong. When he couldn't get the new H24 to view the DVRs I suggested he download the latest software. That did the trick.

he was a nice guy, but I don't think he was given enough training for the DECA setup. The software problem was probably just a case of him being a bit frazzled by the DECA experience.

On the plus side, his next customer won't have the same problem.

#68 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

When I convinced him he told me he couldn't use a SWIM power supply for the DECA. A call to DIRECTV convinced him he was wrong.

I wish I knew that Saturday when my installer was here and why they rescheduled for Wednesday. That 'power inserter' was the only thing he said he didn't have. He probably did have a SWIM power supply.

Is there in fact a specific DECA power supply at all?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#69 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

[...] Is there in fact a specific DECA power supply at all?

My installer brought the 18v power inserter pictured here.
/steve

#70 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

I wish I knew that Saturday when my installer was here and why they rescheduled for Wednesday. That 'power inserter' was the only thing he said he didn't have. He probably did have a SWIM power supply.

Is there in fact a specific DECA power supply at all?

^ that is the current one for this, but the PI-21 for the SWMLine works also. Both were used in the testing of DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#71 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

^ that is the current one for this, but the PI-21 for the SWMLine works also. Both were used in the testing of DECA.

Incredible.:rolleyes:
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#72 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Incredible.:rolleyes:

If you use the 29v instead of the 18v, do you get faster trickplay response? :scratchin
/steve

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

If you use the 29v instead of the 18v, do you get faster trickplay response? :scratchin

For some odd reason I lost my network connection.

Hey Smoke, you still out there?
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Actually, my Whole Home DVR Service install went surprisingly well, considering I had goofed and not made sure that a DECA for broadband was included. I had a nagging thought about that but didn't follow up on it. The only snag I had was that the tech did not have a two way splitter for my HR20-100. His supervisor brought it out to him and we chatted for about 15 minutes or so until he got a call and hand to go help another tech. He did tell me that the broadband DECAs won't be available until July.

I'm going to do one of two things. I'll either get a DECA power supply and move the DECA on the HR20 to the line for broadband (the tech did connect the second line into the HR20 location to allow me to connect the broadband DECA when I get it) and take the HR20 out of the MRV network for now or I'll find a way to hook up the HR20's DECA to the network and feed the DVR. I've tried it once and it didn't see the network. If someone could PM me with some tips or tricks I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and one great side benefit-the lowest signal strength I have on any of the satellites is a 92 (as seen on my living room HR22.) Even TX19 on 103ca is 95!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#75 OFFLINE   jokertrm

jokertrm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Man I wish there was a way to screen the installer they send out to do these things.

As the installer walked 8 am on a Sunday morning, he admitted that I was his first Whole Home install... ever. I shouldn't have to tell you that's not the kind of cherry you want to pop. I'm not a novice when it comes to satellite installs, and I don't expect every installer to be an expert, but at a very minimum I want them to understand how the product works, and how to set it up properly.

He held his phone tight to his ear as he talked to another installer and frantically referred to a wrinkled wire diagram on his clip-board like the clouds surrounding his ignorance would open up and an epiphany would spew forth from this cryptic page. No chance. He mentioned that he had taken a class a couple of months ago, but there was no hands on training. Confidence was low.

Fumbling around with DECAs I heard him say to his lifeline on the phone, "Will that work". I asked questions, but only got half-answers, and let me check on thats. I know it's his first install but this guy was not prepared.

Eventually he got my Living room DVR to see recordings on my Bedroom DVR. I thought "Success!". Only to discover later that he failed to connect my router to the setup. So OnDemand, TVApps only work from one receiver. I am not a happy customer.

I call DTV, and spend an hour+ on the phone with multiple CSRs after explaining the issue several times I get different answers from every CSR with obvious levels of technical knowledge and understanding. When I get to my second supervisor our discussion reveals that I was missing a DECA, the installer took the DECA that was supposed to be connected to my router.

They will be sending another DECA in a couple of days.

Get it together DTV. Seriously.

Edited by jokertrm, 17 May 2010 - 10:11 PM.
grammar

HR21-100 & HR22-100

My Setup

#76 OFFLINE   techovercharge

techovercharge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Had an install set for between 12-4 today. Tech called at 2:30 and I asked if he had a SWM16.....he said no and we both agreed to not waste our time. He was as discouraged as I was and gave me his number to call in to D*. Talked to a nice lady and I listed the equipment I need. She wrote a new work order and said they will ship the sub the parts overnight to them. Have a new install date for Wednesday............we'll see.

you know what that nice lady did?? nothing... she whatever u wanted to hear just to get you off the phone
she's gonna ship something overnight to the sub? lol thats a new one

#77 OFFLINE   techovercharge

techovercharge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

oops forgot to type said

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

you know what that nice lady did?? nothing... she whatever u wanted to hear just to get you off the phone
she's gonna ship something overnight to the sub? lol thats a new one

oops forgot to type said

Having a bad day?
A.K.A VOS

#79 OFFLINE   techovercharge

techovercharge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

just a very long day:)

#80 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:00 PM

just a very long day:)

"I hear you" this whole "deal" has made for some very long days for most of us. ;)
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...