Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How did your "Connected Home" installation go?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
193 replies to this topic

Poll: How did your "Connected Home" install go? (160 member(s) have cast votes)

How did your "Connected Home" install go?

1. Everything was installed ontime without any problem (68 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

2. Installation was cancelled/delayed due to parts being unavailable (26 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

3. Installation was attempted but was stopped due to problem (5 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Something not listed and I've provided details in a post. (24 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Installation was completed but there were many problems/issues that installer ran into (37 votes [23.12%])

Percentage of vote: 23.12%

Vote

#81 OFFLINE   sbuckler

sbuckler

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:54 AM

you know what that nice lady did?? nothing... she whatever u wanted to hear just to get you off the phone
she's gonna ship something overnight to the sub? lol thats a new one

I prefer to think that she did her job. In fact the sub checked his hand held and confirmed everything was in fact ordered....within minutes of the call to D*. Glass is half full ;).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

wonder if supply chain would be better if they had enough deca modules and BSF's to cover all the 20-100 units. seems they are swapping out a lot with hr24's to cover the missing adapters.
that must cost...
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#83 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

wonder if supply chain would be better if they had enough deca modules and BSF's to cover all the 20-100 units. seems they are swapping out a lot with hr24's to cover the missing adapters.
that must cost...

Instead of a DECA adapter would you like a brand new shiny HR-24? Duh

#84 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

that must cost...

Instead of a DECA adapter would you like a brand new shiny HR-24? Duh

It will also cost them if the rigged HR20-100 configuration really doesn't work and they keep sending techs to troubleshoot. Doug posted that there have problems reported even with the recommended HR20-100 set-up. http://www.dbstalk.c...619#post2459619
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#85 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

Install was scheduled for Saturday morning between 8-12. Installer called me and told me he was running behind and would be here around 2 PM.

Installer arrived around 2 PM and had everything up and running in no time. When it came time to connect everything to my network we hit a snag. He was under the impression that you could just plug an ethernet cable into the second port of the receiver.

After telling him he'd need another DECA to connect everything to my home network he went outside and talked with someone from DirecTV on the phone. After a few minutes he came back in and installed the third DECA and everything was good to go.

#86 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

It will also cost them if the rigged HR20-100 configuration really doesn't work and they keep sending techs to troubleshoot. Doug posted that there have problems reported even with the recommended HR20-100 set-up. http://www.dbstalk.c...619#post2459619

I've been working with one of these HR20-100 customers, and his troubles look more like they're simply network settings.

MOST OF THESE issues may go away if the installer installs a DECA to router bridge and then all the receivers use DHCP.
A.K.A VOS

#87 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,355 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

After a few minutes he came back in and installed the third DECA and everything was good to go.

I really want everyone to know how much the DECA to router bridge makes the networking setup after the install WORK.
DHCP makes this "plug & play".
A.K.A VOS

#88 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

I really want everyone to know how much the DECA to router bridge makes the networking setup after the install WORK.
DHCP makes this "plug & play".

Yep. Worked like a charm. VOD is working like a champ without me having to do a thing.

I wonder how many installers are confused by the home network connection. I've read a good number of posts where the installer skipped the extra DECA and just plugged the home network cable to the second ethernet port.

#89 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

None of that is my problem. Again, I know mistakes happen, but when a representative of a company makes an offer, the company needs to stand behind it if it is reasonable to do so (which in this case it mose certainly is).

All should be well on Wednesday.

Man, I had the same experience as you (with them telling me I needed one of my receivers swapped for an HR24 and then it not being on the work order). I wish I would have fought harder to get the replacement receiver. Instead I asked them to waive all of the installation charges, so I ended up with a free DECA upgrade and no new commitment. Still not a bad result, I guess.

#90 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:34 AM

I've been working with one of these HR20-100 customers, and his troubles look more like they're simply network settings.

MOST OF THESE issues may go away if the installer installs a DECA to router bridge and then all the receivers use DHCP.

You are 100%. The HR20-100s need a connection to a router in order to work with DECA. It's a known issue. See here: http://www.dbstalk.c...63&postcount=30
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#91 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Seems to be running just about 1/3 of all installs are successful.

#92 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

Man, I had the same experience as you (with them telling me I needed one of my receivers swapped for an HR24 and then it not being on the work order). I wish I would have fought harder to get the replacement receiver. Instead I asked them to waive all of the installation charges, so I ended up with a free DECA upgrade and no new commitment. Still not a bad result, I guess.

I generally cut DIRECTV a lot of slack. I have been a customer for a lot of years (I go back to the days of USSB on my original account with them) and don't plan to go anywhere. I'll defend them more often than not. But in this case I needed to hold their feet to the fire. In my view it was unacceptable to offer a free receiver upgrade and then not deliver on that offer.

Like I said, thoguh, all should be well tomorrow.

#93 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

You are 100%. The HR20-100s need a connection to a router in order to work with DECA. It's a known issue. See here: http://www.dbstalk.c...63&postcount=30

I have a HR20-100 working with mrv and there is no connection back to the router. I have two HR24-500's and one h24-100 and one HR20-100 and they all work with MRV and DECA.

I do want the network connection for VOD and apps and they are supposed to be here this morning to install a DECA and PI and hook it up to my newwork.

#94 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

Seems to be running just about 1/3 of all installs are successful.

Yup, and it seems like a bunch of the failed installs are due to the lack of knowledge by the techs regarding bridging the DECA cloud to the internet. This seems to be a training issue.

#95 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Tech came here at noon today to install ethernet bridge for DECA/MRV to internet. I told him how to hook it up and he was done in about 10 mins. :):)

#96 OFFLINE   davido

davido

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Install completed in 3 hrs.
Replaced dish (was a 5LNB) & removed 6x8 Zinwell multiswitch.
SD Tivo upgraded to HR24.
Installer's first time hooking up DECA cloud to router, but a quick question to this board and installation completed smoothly.

Also, MRV enabled on a legacy (total choice) package. I was hoping I wouldn't need to switch to a current package, as I really watch Speed HD, and that would've been ~$7 package increase.

Thank you DBSTalk!

#97 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

Install went without a hitch. Driver showed up on time, and got out of his truck with (to my surprise) a SWM16. I showed him my setup, and he then asked for phone to call his supervisor up. I got a two-truck install with all sorts of red carpet laid out for me. "Whole home" DVR service is activated and working well across 12 tuners.

Super happy with DirecTV.

I chose not to blur the plates out in hopes that DirecTV will chase down these installers and let them know what a fantastic, courteous and professional job they did for me.

http://www.dbstalk.c...06&d=1274206198

I am happy I went ahead and bit the bullet to get my entire house on DECA's instead of the mix-match setup I had in place.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#98 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

As I posted Saturday, first the tech tried convincing me that my both my HR20-700 and HR-100 units weren't compatible with MRV. The 'market manager' on the phone eventually talked me into letting them replace my HR20-100 with a HR24 to simplify the install. Ok, if you must.;)

However, they didn't have a power inserter to power the DECA at the router so they did nothing because they would lose money if they left the job incomplete.

They're supposed to come back Wednesday.

Circus continues: My rescheduled installer called this morning at 8:15 AM and denied that he was responsible for switching me to SWM. He said it wasn't on the order. In the same breath he was warning me about my incompatible R15. I explained that I was removing that and I ordered a HR24 to replace it. He only expected to install that HR24 and DECAs. He didn't have SWM parts. Supposedly the warehouse has only 1 and it's supposed to be for someone else. He also only has 1 HR24 for me, which is on my order even though the Saturday plan which they talked me into was to replace my HR20-100 with a HR24 as well. I wanted to talk to his supervisor which he denied me because he said he's a private contractor. He told me to call DirecTV which I did. They confirmed at least that I'm supposed to get SWM of course. However they can't request the local office to call me because it's not my "install window" (12-3) yet.:mad: Plus can't call the installer because they can't call anyone.

So I called the installer again. I told him how DirecTV confirmed my SWM. upgrade. This time he said he would contact someone to have them "change the order". He also said he will have to call supervisor in the field as well to figure all this out.

He's already warning me that he's done at 5 PM and I may need to reschedule if he can't get what's needed because he has 2 other jobs before me. I wanted to confirm with him all the other items but he was driving and said we'll talk later.

It's not looking good.

The necessary parts as well as the events of what took place Saturday or I should say didn't take place Saturday were obviously not communicated to this installer and/or the HSP who sent him the job.

#99 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Wow. I was able to get in touch with the local office who talked with the installer. Supposedly he will be coming with a tech supervisor between 2-4 with everything I need.

I'll report later.

#100 OFFLINE   Lyor

Lyor

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Had new system installed with two hd dvrs and two hd receivers. Tech mounted slimeline on corner of roof with outstanding view of the south west sky. He ran new cables and used a short (20 ft) run, newly installed by Knology, of existing cable. The two receivers are H-24s and the only down side, not sure it really a negative, is he only had one HR-24 so he put that in and an HR-22. He then installed the DECA bridge to my home network. He was able to activate all 4 of the boxs online the first time. He then brought on line the 2 DVRs and configured them for MRV. Last he brought up the H-24s and configured them. Absolutly everything came up on line, on network and seeing the DECA cloud components and my networked computers with NO issues at all. I am still learning all the in's and out's but am pleased with the install, system performance and capabilities.
:D

spam firewall