Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ordering DVR After MRV Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Now that I have MRV, if I were to order a new DVR from the D* site (since I know that they won't guarantee me an HR24) would they automatically include a DECA module if they were to send say an HR22? I want an HR24 & I know I can order one online but I can get a DVR from D* for $99 instead of $199 & I'd like to save that money. But, I don't know what my chances would be of getting one by ordering from D*. Just wondering if the chances go up some since I now have MRV & they would have to include a DECA unit if they send any other DVR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

I wondered something similar. Not to hijack, but I think we are headed a similar direction: Now that I have MRV enabled on my own network, I wonder if I could call and go "Hey, I need another DECA module, how much are they?" and be able to buy one cheaper than online?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

I would hope that anybody who has gotten the MRV upgrade would get DECAs included in the cost of the receiver going forward if they didn't get an H®24. It would be ridiculous to say, oh, pay us X dollars for a receiver that may or may not have DECA built in, and if you happen to get one that doesn't have DECA built in, you can pay us Y dollars to get it added!

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

I wondered something similar. Not to hijack, but I think we are headed a similar direction: Now that I have MRV enabled on my own network, I wonder if I could call and go "Hey, I need another DECA module, how much are they?" and be able to buy one cheaper than online?

Probably not because your account will NOT be flagged for DECA and WILL be flagged UNsupported.

What I am wondering is what will happen if we call in at a later date and want the DECA install done. Talk about confusing the CSR's.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

It shouldn't be confusing because if you haven't ordered a MRV order they'll just place one.

As far as what they will ship one might assume that an HR24 would be sent to MRV supported accounts. If they didn't I'm guessing a DECA would need to be ordered manually. The main issue is no one will know if you need a DECA until you get the receiver. So I'm guessing that the MRV supported flag will prioritize a HR24.

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Probably not because your account will NOT be flagged for DECA and WILL be flagged UNsupported.

What I am wondering is what will happen if we call in at a later date and want the DECA install done. Talk about confusing the CSR's.

Somebody on here had their account marked with a Y instead of a U. I wonder if that would make a difference in this case, and if so, I wonder what mine is. :)

In November when they don't want to charge me an extra $50, I will think about ordering agan, but we will see where I am at that point.

EDIT: Also, in their system, they still think I have the Phase III dish. I can still order BBCs though, even though their system shows my system doesn't need them since I don't have an HD dish.

Edited by matt, 16 May 2010 - 07:51 PM.

Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

I would (and have) ordered a HR24 third party so you know your guaranteed a HR24, of course youll have to pay the full 199.00 but thats what I did.

#8 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

Now that I have had the DECA upgrade, if I were to order a new HD DVR I would nicely and directly tell the CSR "if I don't receive an HR24, I will tell the tech to come back with one or cancel the order". Since any cancelled order gets refunded, it's just as good as a guarantee.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Now that I have had the DECA upgrade, if I were to order a new HD DVR I would nicely and directly tell the CSR "if I don't receive an HR24, I will tell the tech to come back with one or cancel the order". Since any cancelled order gets refunded, it's just as good as a guarantee.

You will either get a guarantee which will be only to get you off the call or you will be told "do what you want" in a nice and pleasant way. Do you really think the person who places your order would care if you chose to cancel it? :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

You will either get a guarantee which will be only to get you off the call or you will be told "do what you want" in a nice and pleasant way. Do you really think the person who places your order would care if you chose to cancel it? :nono2:

No, I don't think they would care, nor would I care if they care. The point of saying it upfront like that is so that if I actually DO have to cancel the order, I can point to that conversation as justification.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

No, I don't think they would care, nor would I care if they care. The point of saying it upfront like that is so that if I actually DO have to cancel the order, I can point to that conversation as justification.

Unless you need to justify it to yourself it doesn't need to be said. If you called to cancel the order even if you told the person "I said to send X or I would cancel" it wouldn't change the outcome. It would be the same thing as telling that to your web browser prior to hitting submit. Either way you have the same chance.

#12 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

You can cancel a receiver & send it back for a refund if you decide you don't want it (or if they send something you don't want)?

#13 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

Unless you need to justify it to yourself it doesn't need to be said. If you called to cancel the order even if you told the person "I said to send X or I would cancel" it wouldn't change the outcome. It would be the same thing as telling that to your web browser prior to hitting submit. Either way you have the same chance.

It's not about justifying it to myself, it's about making sure I'm in a strong negotiating position if things don't go smoothly. For as great of a product as DIRECTV provides, they are still a "cable company" and are more than capable of being shady.

You can cancel a receiver & send it back for a refund if you decide you don't want it (or if they send something you don't want)?

As long as it hasn't been activated, you should be able to (at least that's my understanding).

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

It's not about justifying it to myself, it's about making sure I'm in a strong negotiating position if things don't go smoothly. For as great of a product as DIRECTV provides, they are still a "cable company" and are more than capable of being shady..

Perhaps I should clarify. A CSR* can never order a specific receiver nor can they suggest, guarantee, promise, preordain, scry, or fate a model number. They can order a type of receiver only. There is no negotiation in this. There has been much speculation, myself included, that the system would prioritize an HR24 to an account that has placed a DECA upgrade and has the supported network tag. However that by no means guarantee you will get one.

So if you want a specific model ordering through DirecTV at this time is not your best option. If you choose to wait awhile and see if it's confirmed if what we speculate is true or not then that's your choice. Otherwise you're better off going to http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=112 and looking at the deals that are being posted for a specific model receiver.

*CSR for this type of scenario is a CSR that people call to order equipment, cancel service, or ask about a bill. This does not include off line specialty groups that are not accessible by a normal call.

Edited by Shades228, 16 May 2010 - 11:02 PM.
gramatical correction

#15 OFFLINE   DaaQ

DaaQ

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

I have been directed to only use 24 s on actual mrv accounts IF available.
New installs. Now both the 24 s and the deca are not as plentiful as I would like but that's just me.

#16 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

Perhaps I should clarify. A CSR* can never order a specific receiver nor can they suggest, guarantee, promise, preordain, scry, or fate a model number. They can order a type of receiver only. There is no negotiation in this. There has been much speculation, myself included, that the system would prioritize an HR24 to an account that has placed a DECA upgrade and has the supported network tag. However that by no means guarantee you will get one.

So if you want a specific model ordering through DirecTV at this time is not your best option. If you choose to wait awhile and see if it's confirmed if what we speculate is true or not then that's your choice. Otherwise you're better off going to http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=112 and looking at the deals that are being posted for a specific model receiver.

*CSR for this type of scenario is a CSR that people call to order equipment, cancel service, or ask about a bill. This does not include off line specialty groups that are not accessible by a normal call.

We're going in circles here. I am aware that the system is set up as you describe. That is what necessitates the need for the actions I described.

#17 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

I decided to call D* today just to see what they might say. I waited on hold for 10 minutes to speak to a CSR. The lady I spoke with was Sherri & she was very patient, very helpful, & wanted to do everything she could to help me. The situation is as expected -- they can't promise any specific equipment but she thought there was a good chance I would get an HR24 if I ordered online. She did research, she asked her supervisor, she asked other CSR's but no one knows what an MRV customer will get. We talked about me placing the order & then sending it back if it weren't an HR24. I asked about getting credited for the $100 if I were to place an order with Solidsignal. She never would agree to that so we decided that I would order online (because if she ordered it, it would trigger an install because technically I would be at 9 tuners even though I'm going to disconnect the H24 but keep it) & if I don't get an HR24, she has noted my account that I will send it back & we'll look at other options. I placed my order about 10 minutes ago. It already shows as shipped & completed but does not say what it is. I guess I'll see in a few days.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

I decided to call D* today just to see what they might say. I waited on hold for 10 minutes to speak to a CSR. The lady I spoke with was Sherri & she was very patient, very helpful, & wanted to do everything she could to help me. The situation is as expected -- they can't promise any specific equipment but she thought there was a good chance I would get an HR24 if I ordered online. She did research, she asked her supervisor, she asked other CSR's but no one knows what an MRV customer will get. We talked about me placing the order & then sending it back if it weren't an HR24. I asked about getting credited for the $100 if I were to place an order with Solidsignal. She never would agree to that so we decided that I would order online (because if she ordered it, it would trigger an install because technically I would be at 9 tuners even though I'm going to disconnect the H24 but keep it) & if I don't get an HR24, she has noted my account that I will send it back & we'll look at other options. I placed my order about 10 minutes ago. It already shows as shipped & completed but does not say what it is. I guess I'll see in a few days.

If that H24 is leased you'll be required to send it back or you'll get hit with a non return fee.

#19 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

If that H24 is leased you'll be required to send it back or you'll get hit with a non return fee.

I'm not going to deactivate it -- I'm going to pay the $5 a month to keep it active in case we decide to add a TV to our bedroom. I got it for free with the MRV install so I don't want to send it back just yet.

#20 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

I would (and have) ordered a HR24 third party so you know your guaranteed a HR24, of course youll have to pay the full 199.00 but thats what I did.

Here's another place: $179.99 and $1 shipping
http://www.overstock...archType=Header

spam firewall