Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 16 New Markets in HD

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sbelmont

sbelmont

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm a little surprised by the lack of higher-ranked DMAs in this announcement. It's good news for the cities listed (including Montgomery-Selma, Arkansas:rolleyes: ). But I would have expected to see at least a few out of Lansing, Eugene, Fargo, Lafayette, Salinas, Bakersfield, and Yakima.

Being in Bakersfield I've been watching this closley and I have a theory. We were expecting HD LIL two years ago when Bakersfield actually showed in the list of coming markets. Then unexpectedly the name was dropped from the list. What happened at the same time? The issues with D10. This is probably affecting Bakersfied, Monterey-Salinas and Chico-Redding as a group.

Just a theory...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rpinnt

rpinnt

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Wow. 4th quarter for Sioux City locals. Satelliteracer had said that this was the year. Still won’t stop me trying for the waivers until then. I would so much rather have the Omaha DMA since I live in Nebraska and not Iowa. Does anyone ever get the neighboring local channels? And how would one ask for them?

#23 OFFLINE   Eddie L.

Eddie L.

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 172 Markets Including 16 New Markets in HD

More Than 97 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will Have Access to Local Channels from DIRECTV; Roll Out of New Local Markets to Begin in June

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=470358

MRV/DECA, D12 and now HD locals in Montgomery (from no Montgomery locals at all), all within one week? That is almost too much great news to handle for one market! :lol:

BTW, I still sympathize with you guys in the "tweens" 3%. I was beginning to think that we'd never get locals in Montgomery, because there were markets 50 or 60 places below us that had service long before we did. Hang in there! Hopefully D10's fix is going to expand their LIL list even more!

#24 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,710 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

This is really good news to many folks that I know have been waiting a long time to get this activated for them.

Congrats.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

MRV/DECA, D12 and now HD locals in Montgomery (from no Montgomery locals at all), all within one week? That is almost too much great news to handle for one market! :lol:

Eddie:

Montgomery, AL is expected to go "live" in late September/early October. Columbus, GA will go "live" at the same time. I'm not aware of any timeline for Gainesville, FL or Albany, GA yet. :(

I'm hoping Albany will be sooner, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

~Alan

#26 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

How about old markets? Specifically #71 Honolulu, which according to DirecTV's HD list, filtered by locals for zip 96795, has 10 local HD channels. Ten would be a lot, but unfortunately, it's just not true. We do get 4 HD locals, but we're missing the NBC affiliate, KHNL, which has been broadcasting in HD for at least 3 years. (We're also missing MYTV and the CW in HD.)
Greg

#27 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

Meh. Where are the nationals?

In another thread, of course. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#28 OFFLINE   scottcooper

scottcooper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va. THANK YOU DAVE!!!!!! :)

#29 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'm a little surprised by the lack of higher-ranked DMAs in this announcement. It's good news for the cities listed (including Montgomery-Selma, Arkansas:rolleyes: ). But I would have expected to see at least a few out of Lansing, Eugene, Fargo, Lafayette, Salinas, Bakersfield, and Yakima.

Go figure. Bakersfield has 600,000 plus residents in the area. I don't even know how Nielson determines the DMA ranking because I know for a fact there are numerous markets with a lot fewer people than Bakersfield with a higher DMA. In addition there has to be more than DMA ranking that are factors when DTV decides who gets the HD locals service.

#30 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Why in the world is Salinas-Monterey-Santa Cruz not coming this year? It is perhaps the largest DMA to not have HD locals available. Very disappointing.
David

#31 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

Why in the world is Salinas-Monterey-Santa Cruz not coming this year? It is perhaps the largest DMA to not have HD locals available. Very disappointing.
David

Lansing MI is the largest, but Salinas/Monterey/Santa Cruz is still up there. The 6th largest to be exact.

#32 OFFLINE   Eddie L.

Eddie L.

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

Eddie:

Montgomery, AL is expected to go "live" in late September/early October. Columbus, GA will go "live" at the same time. I'm not aware of any timeline for Gainesville, FL or Albany, GA yet. :(

I'm hoping Albany will be sooner, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

~Alan

Thanks Alan! Great news! Just the fact that we are on the list now is enough for me, but I'm real excited about the short time frame too! It's been a LONG wait for Montgomery AL.

#33 OFFLINE   sarhaynes

sarhaynes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

DIRECTV will roll-out the following new HD local markets, beginning in June with Biloxi-Gulfport, Miss.; Idaho Falls-Pocatello, Idaho; and Joplin-Pittsburg, Mo. In the third quarter, DIRECTV will launch Albany, Ga.; Columbus, Ga.; Gainesville, Fla.; and Montgomery-Selma, Ark. In the fourth quarter, DIRECTV will launch Abilene-Sweetwater, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Binghamton, N.Y.; Clarksburg-Weston, W.Va.; Lubbock, Texas; Sioux City, Iowa; Terre Haute, Ind.; Wheeling-Steubenville, W.Va.; and Wichita Falls-Lawton, Texas. For more HD local launch details, customers can visit www.directv.com/hdlocals.

Still no Charlottesville, VA either. Should I feel special being in the 3% of the country without LiL from D*? E* has had them for years... :confused:

Good thing I had D* mount that roof-top antenna to my dish for free a year or so back! Now I just gotta upgrade my H20-100 to something that will support MRV from my HR20 (I guess I need to break down and get an AM-21!).

HR34-700 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR605 to Philips 42" Plasma (1080i)
HR24-500 (w/AM-21) HDMI to Magnavox 32" LCD (1080i)

C31-700 to 32" Samsung Smart TV (1080p)
H21-200 HDMI to Vizio 32" LED LCD (1080p)
H23-600 HDMI to LG 26" LED LCD (1080p)
Whole-Home DVR Enabled (Wireless Networked via Bridge)
D12-300 to Ancient Magnavox CRT
Sat-Go
Charlottesville, VA - Still waiting for Locals via Sat

#34 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Some of these are awhile out yet (Q4), but still great news for those in these communities.

Congrats guys ;)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#35 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

Still no Erie, PA.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#36 OFFLINE   mhe4

mhe4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

what satellite are these locals going to be on? ( the ones from Binghamton NY) I have slimline 3.

#37 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Nice to see for these folks, but what the national HD channels like, ESPNU, HBO, Lifetime, Travel etc............

#38 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

And again, no Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN

I would venture a guess that a good portion of the seemingly random nature of LiL deployments (vs. their DMA) has to do with reaching carriage agreements with the locals.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#39 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

How about old markets? Specifically #71 Honolulu, which according to DirecTV's HD list, filtered by locals for zip 96795, has 10 local HD channels. Ten would be a lot, but unfortunately, it's just not true. We do get 4 HD locals, but we're missing the NBC affiliate, KHNL, which has been broadcasting in HD for at least 3 years. (We're also missing MYTV and the CW in HD.)

That is a case of the owners of KHNL and DirecTV not coming to an agreement that will let DirecTV carry the channel in HD. When there is one holdout in a market that otherwise has all the major networks, one has to wonder if the owners of the missing channel are just asking too much for carriage.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#40 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

That is a case of the owners of KHNL and DirecTV not coming to an agreement that will let DirecTV carry the channel in HD.

Is this a fact? Or just your best guess. It is not the story coming from either KHNL or DirecTV. KHNL says it doesn't understand why DirecTV won't carry their HD feed, and a DirecTV spokesman told a reporter that DirecTV didn't have the necessary capacity. Alaska, I gather, has a similar problem getting NBC in HD.

Edit: A local user notes that the same company, Raycom Media, owns the local CBS affiliate which is carried by D* in HD and the local NBC affiliate, which is not carried in HD, making your theory a little less likely. See this post for D*'s "capacity" claim.

Edited by GregLee, 17 May 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Greg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...