Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 16 New Markets in HD

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dtbx

dtbx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Can't wait to see what their screwed up distribution of nets is going to be in Biloxi-Gulfport...seeing as how it only has ABC and FOX within it...and depending on which portion you're in your CBS and NBC could come from Mobile (me), Hattiesburg, or even New Orleans. NONE of which are currently, nor ever have been, available to anyone in Biloxi-Gulfport DMA even though they've been on the system for years.

You would think we would get whats on Cable One,I know that's not always the case. If that is the case I would CBS(WKRG) from Mobile and NBC (WDSU) from New Orleans. Being those two grant or deny DNS.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,045 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Can't wait to see what their screwed up distribution of nets is going to be in Biloxi-Gulfport...seeing as how it only has ABC and FOX within it...and depending on which portion you're in your CBS and NBC could come from Mobile (me), Hattiesburg, or even New Orleans. NONE of which are currently, nor ever have been, available to anyone in Biloxi-Gulfport DMA even though they've been on the system for years.

Albany, GA is a similar situation.

We have a NBC and FOX affiliate, along with a statewide PBS station, and an independent station.

There is a CBS station whose tower and station resides within the Albany, GA DMA, but it's licensed to Valdosta, GA, which is in the Tallahassee, FL DMA, and their broadcast signal doesn't even cover the City of Albany, but Dish provides them (in SD... not sure why Dish hasn't offered this station in HD yet) to the Albany, GA DMA, so DirecTV will probably offer them as well.

However, ABC is a very different situation as no station exists in the DMA, and depending upon which county (among the 17) you live, your ABC affiliate might be either WTXL-DT (from the Tallahassee, FL DMA already carried by DirecTV in HD) which is "Significantly Viewed" in the majority of the counties, or WTVM-DT (from the Columbus, GA DMA... also announced today), or several other ABC stations from Macon, Dothan, Savannah, Jacksonville, etc...

Since DirecTV doesn't offer GPB in HD anywhere in Georgia YET, I'm pretty sure that PBS will be SD-only here for a little while... though hopefully offering HD-LIL to every DMA in Georgia later this year will put a fire under GPB and DirecTV to come to a deal regarding HD.

~Alan

#53 ONLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,346 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Nice to see for these folks, but what the national HD channels like, ESPNU, HBO, Lifetime, Travel etc............

The national channels are carried in another thread... :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#54 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Does D* have CW in HD anywhere? They don't even have the DNS feeds in HD for it.

It is available as a local station in several DMAs
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   cyblet

cyblet

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I second that for Charlottesville market. I don't get why they are adding HD to markets when there are quite a few markets that don't get even SD locals. I was holding out that we would get them with the new sat. My antenna OTA pixelates too much for me since I'm a ways from the transmitters and down in a valley. It looks like I am stuck switching to cable. I hate C*mc@st and really really hoped it wouldn't come to this. Oh well.

#56 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have a question about locals. I live in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA but I can pick up the Sioux City locals via antenna (sometimes). My question is now that Sioux City is getting locals via DirecTV will I also be able to get those locals on the dish?

Nope. If you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, by law, Sioux Falls locals will be all that you will continue to receive via D*.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#57 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have a question about locals. I live in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA but I can pick up the Sioux City locals via antenna (sometimes). My question is now that Sioux City is getting locals via DirecTV will I also be able to get those locals on the dish?

Nope. If you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, by law, Sioux Falls locals will be all that you will continue to receive via D*.

EDITED BY ALAN.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 May 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I second that for Charlottesville market. I don't get why they are adding HD to markets when there are quite a few markets that don't get even SD locals.

cyblet, multiple markets announced today are getting locals for the first time.

My market, Albany, Georgia, which was announced today has had SD-LIL from Dish Network available for over five years now, and HD-LIL for over a year (by the time DirecTV adds us), but this will be the first time DirecTV has offered any sort of locals here.

Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL are two first time markets as well...

~Alan

#59 ONLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,346 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Re-read his question. ;)

Yes, Nick, if you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, you should be eligible for locals once they become available! ;)

~Alan

Actually, I did re-read his question. A couple times before I noted the key difference.

Alas, if you live in Sioux FALLS DMA, you will not be able to receive the Sioux CITY DMA locals under present policies.

At some point, nearby locals from other DMAs might be included for some DMAs--though I haven't seen anything about that happening for a long time.

Bigger antenna with an AM-21 is the best hope.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#60 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

By law up to this point, they couldn't provide significantly viewed channels from neighboring markets without first providing the local channels. Hopefully they will offer CBS and NBC from either Mobile or New Orleans. Otherwise, you'll have to opt for the New York feeds.

#61 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

Does D* have CW in HD anywhere? They don't even have the DNS feeds in HD for it.

It's available on DirecTV in HD in 68 markets.

#62 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

Actually, I did re-read his question. A couple times before I noted the key difference.

Alas, if you live in Sioux FALLS DMA, you will not be able to receive the Sioux CITY DMA locals under present policies.

... Isn't Sioux Falls the same DMA as Sioux City?!

One place I looked said that they're the same DMA... another place I looked said they are two DMAs...?!?!

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 May 2010 - 10:01 PM.

#63 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

... Isn't Sioux Falls the same DMA as Sioux City?!

One place I looked said that they're the same DMA... another place I looked said they are two DMAs...?!?!

~Alan

Two separate DMAs. DirecTV offers Sioux Falls SD. Sioux City IA is one of the new launches.

#64 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Two separate DMAs. DirecTV offers Sioux Falls SD. Sioux City IA is one of the new launches.

Gotcha!

Never let it be said that you should always believe what you read on the internet! ;)

~Alan

#65 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:04 AM

what satellite are these locals going to be on? ( the ones from Binghamton NY) I have slimline 3.

99 or 103
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#66 OFFLINE   de_runner

de_runner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Market penetration plays a part as well.

It would seem that D* has given up on the Bakersfield DMA since all other options, i.e., Brighthouse, E*, and Uverse all offer locals in HD. In addition Brighthouse offers a couple of LA stations (like KCAL) which D* could not offer. I don't understand the convoluted rules which allows only the cable operator to provide a channel which no one can receive by antenna or satellite dish service.

Edited by de_runner, 02 June 2010 - 05:04 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

I just can't figure out how Lansing, MI continually gets passed by for HD LiL? Dish has had the Lansing locals in HD for going on two years now.

According to the lists on this site, after the 3 are added in June, Lansing was the largest DMA that didn't have HD LiL. Now 13 smaller DMAs are on the list?

It shouldn't be an LRF issue because Dish and DirecTV share the uplink facility, they've shared it for years...

For now, stuck in the 3% without HD LiL, so glad that I insisted on an antenna when I switched to DirecTV...

You gave the answer to why.

Anybody that was going to switch to Dish over HD Locals has done so and thus there is no real upside to adding them. I'd bet they are looking at what would they gain in new subs by having the locals and decided not to bother.

The above is a opinion of course but it makes sense to me.

Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#68 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

It would seem that D* has given up on the Bakersfield DMA since all other options, i.e., Brighthouse, E*, and Uverse all offer locals in HD. In addition Brighthouse offers a couple of LA stations (like KTLA) which D* could not offer. I don't understand the convoluted rules which allows only the cable operator to provide a channel which no one can receive by antenna or satellite dish service.

Weve got a somewhat similar situation here in Fargo. Our "local" my network TV station is KCPM in Grand Forks, ND, 80 miles north of Fargo, ND. Its in high def up there but the signal doesnt get anywhere near Fargo. Theres a very low powered analog translator here that you cant get without a very good rooftop antenna setup. DirecTV doesnt carry the station and in fact when I emailed them to ask if they ever would, they said they flat out cant because of the law. Meanwhile both cable providers here in town carry the station, albeit in standard definition.

#69 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Gotcha!

Never let it be said that you should always believe what you read on the internet! ;)

~Alan

Sioux Falls and Sioux City are roughly 75-80 miles apart and i'm sure if you lived roughly halfway between the two, with a good outdoor attenna that chances are you can probably pick up locals from both DMA's.

There's crossover between the two DMA's on many cable systems, but it comes down were you live and in South Dakota, there's only one county that's part of the Sioux City DMA and will be the only SD county to get the Sioux City locals on D*.

Posted Image

Picture courtesy of www.northpine.com/broadcast

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#70 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

As a member of the “3% club,” just submitted a request for access to DNS HD channels. Not holding much hope a waiver will be granted but no harm trying.

#71 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

You would think we would get whats on Cable One,I know that's not always the case. If that is the case I would CBS(WKRG) from Mobile and NBC (WDSU) from New Orleans. Being those two grant or deny DNS.

Wow this really is screwed up. After looking about a bit I just figured out that Hancock and Pearl River counties are in the New Orleans DMA. I would have sworn Biloxi-Gulfport was all 6 boot heel counties.

Even crazier GREENE county is in the Mobile-P'cola DMA :nono2:

Was thinking Hattiesburg-Laurel was already on DirecTV too but it isn't it seems.

Going to be interesting, if nothing else. I got a good outdoor antenna pointed east and get everything from as far as WEAR 3 in that direction to all the stations to the northwest of me in McHenry (even being off axis) so it's no big deal really to me. Having more options will be a good thing though regardless, even if they end up not making sense. :lol:

#72 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

As a member of the “3% club,” just submitted a request for access to DNS HD channels. Not holding much hope a waiver will be granted but no harm trying.

I have my antenna, so I've never done Waivers
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#73 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

NYC has the CW in HD, on DirecTV that is. Heck they just launched the local Univision and Telefutura in HD as well.

As does Hartford-New Haven, even though I still don't know what the CW even is. Hartford-New Haven doesn't get the NYC one SV though.

Is this a fact? Or just your best guess. It is not the story coming from either KHNL or DirecTV. KHNL says it doesn't understand why DirecTV won't carry their HD feed, and a DirecTV spokesman told a reporter that DirecTV didn't have the necessary capacity. Alaska, I gather, has a similar problem getting NBC in HD.

Edit: A local user notes that the same company, Raycom Media, owns the local CBS affiliate which is carried by D* in HD and the local NBC affiliate, which is not carried in HD, making your theory a little less likely. See this post for D*'s "capacity" claim.

Run out of capacity for HI or AK? They can't find a spot beam frequency to re-use up there? You've got to be kidding me.

You gave the answer to why.

Anybody that was going to switch to Dish over HD Locals has done so and thus there is no real upside to adding them. I'd bet they are looking at what would they gain in new subs by having the locals and decided not to bother.

The above is a opinion of course but it makes sense to me.

Cheers

I like the crowded spot theory better. There are a lot of markets out there. Interestingly, two markets in eastern Ohio are on 72.5, was traveling through there the other day and saw the second dishes, and sure enough, they are out there.

#74 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

As a native of Montgomery, AL, I am glad to see that market finally become part of the DirecTV mix. It's been a long time coming.

This will probably change things for my father who lives about 70 miles south of Montgomery. He has been receiving the ABC and CBS stations from NY and LA for 13 years, but was unable to get a waiver for NBC and Fox. I'll be curious to see if he will get the Montgomery stations.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#75 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

I have my antenna, so I've never done Waivers

When living on the east coast, I successfully used an antenna before DirecTV began offering HD LIL. My current neighborhood is hilly and I have been told reception via antenna would be problematic at best. There are other oddities in Monterey as well. While Dish offers local HD channels, ABC is not among them; moreover, Comcast only made ABC available last year. Happily, I rarely watch the major networks – with the exception of college football – but do enjoy PBS. Even more than the announced national HD channels, I would love to see the imagined British TV package (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, etc.) mentioned in another thread but it doubtless will remain a pipedream.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...