Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV to Offer Local Channels in 16 New Markets in HD

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Yea! Finally DMA 157 gets some love!
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

Yea! Finally DMA 157 gets some love!

I knew you'd be happy! :)

~Alan

#43 OFFLINE   JustinBrown

JustinBrown

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

why is CW the only local in Detroit that is not HD and is there anything i can do about it?

my OTA reception is poor for CW...tons of audio cut-outs.

Edited by JustinBrown, 17 May 2010 - 06:19 PM.

HR24-500 HDMI to 50" Pioneer KURO (PDP-5020FD)
HR20-700 HDMI to 50" Panasonic Plasma (TH-50PZ85U)
H20-100
R15-100
D11-100
D10

www.Justin-Brown.com

#44 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Alan! Great news! Just the fact that we are on the list now is enough for me, but I'm real excited about the short time frame too! It's been a LONG wait for Montgomery AL.

I'm right with you!

The only reason for my impatience is because I know the local equipment is already installed (has been for around a month now), and when I first found out about it, I was told that they were hoping for July. I felt it was a little early, but I was hoping for it nonetheless! :)

~Alan

#45 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

+1 on Salinas-Monterey. "No plans at this time to institute the service." RU kidding me?

#46 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Can't wait to see what their screwed up distribution of nets is going to be in Biloxi-Gulfport...seeing as how it only has ABC and FOX within it...and depending on which portion you're in your CBS and NBC could come from Mobile (me), Hattiesburg, or even New Orleans. NONE of which are currently, nor ever have been, available to anyone in Biloxi-Gulfport DMA even though they've been on the system for years.

#47 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:36 PM

why is CW the only local in Detroit that is not HD and is there anything i can do about it?

my OTA reception is poor for CW...tons of audio cut-outs.

Does D* have CW in HD anywhere? They don't even have the DNS feeds in HD for it.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#48 OFFLINE   juventuz

juventuz

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:24 PM

Does D* have CW in HD anywhere? They don't even have the DNS feeds in HD for it.

NYC has the CW in HD, on DirecTV that is. Heck they just launched the local Univision and Telefutura in HD as well.

#49 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

No Fargo, ND still? FFS. I was hoping they'd at least get Fox, CBS, and NBC in HD out here in time for the NFL season. I dont want to have to consistently record a lot of Mpeg-2 HD stuff via my AM21 and also my CBS reception is spotty at best.

#50 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Go figure. Bakersfield has 600,000 plus residents in the area. I don't even know how Nielson determines the DMA ranking because I know for a fact there are numerous markets with a lot fewer people than Bakersfield with a higher DMA. In addition there has to be more than DMA ranking that are factors when DTV decides who gets the HD locals service.

Market penetration plays a part as well.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#51 OFFLINE   dtbx

dtbx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Can't wait to see what their screwed up distribution of nets is going to be in Biloxi-Gulfport...seeing as how it only has ABC and FOX within it...and depending on which portion you're in your CBS and NBC could come from Mobile (me), Hattiesburg, or even New Orleans. NONE of which are currently, nor ever have been, available to anyone in Biloxi-Gulfport DMA even though they've been on the system for years.

You would think we would get whats on Cable One,I know that's not always the case. If that is the case I would CBS(WKRG) from Mobile and NBC (WDSU) from New Orleans. Being those two grant or deny DNS.

#52 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

Albany, GA is a similar situation.

We have a NBC and FOX affiliate, along with a statewide PBS station, and an independent station.

There is a CBS station whose tower and station resides within the Albany, GA DMA, but it's licensed to Valdosta, GA, which is in the Tallahassee, FL DMA, and their broadcast signal doesn't even cover the City of Albany, but Dish provides them (in SD... not sure why Dish hasn't offered this station in HD yet) to the Albany, GA DMA, so DirecTV will probably offer them as well.

However, ABC is a very different situation as no station exists in the DMA, and depending upon which county (among the 17) you live, your ABC affiliate might be either WTXL-DT (from the Tallahassee, FL DMA already carried by DirecTV in HD) which is "Significantly Viewed" in the majority of the counties, or WTVM-DT (from the Columbus, GA DMA... also announced today), or several other ABC stations from Macon, Dothan, Savannah, Jacksonville, etc...

Since DirecTV doesn't offer GPB in HD anywhere in Georgia YET, I'm pretty sure that PBS will be SD-only here for a little while... though hopefully offering HD-LIL to every DMA in Georgia later this year will put a fire under GPB and DirecTV to come to a deal regarding HD.

~Alan

#53 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Nice to see for these folks, but what the national HD channels like, ESPNU, HBO, Lifetime, Travel etc............

The national channels are carried in another thread... :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#54 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

It is available as a local station in several DMAs
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#55 OFFLINE   cyblet

cyblet

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I second that for Charlottesville market. I don't get why they are adding HD to markets when there are quite a few markets that don't get even SD locals. I was holding out that we would get them with the new sat. My antenna OTA pixelates too much for me since I'm a ways from the transmitters and down in a valley. It looks like I am stuck switching to cable. I hate C*mc@st and really really hoped it wouldn't come to this. Oh well.

#56 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:00 PM

I have a question about locals. I live in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA but I can pick up the Sioux City locals via antenna (sometimes). My question is now that Sioux City is getting locals via DirecTV will I also be able to get those locals on the dish?

Nope. If you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, by law, Sioux Falls locals will be all that you will continue to receive via D*.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#57 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have a question about locals. I live in the Sioux Falls, SD DMA but I can pick up the Sioux City locals via antenna (sometimes). My question is now that Sioux City is getting locals via DirecTV will I also be able to get those locals on the dish?

Nope. If you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, by law, Sioux Falls locals will be all that you will continue to receive via D*.

EDITED BY ALAN.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 17 May 2010 - 10:02 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I second that for Charlottesville market. I don't get why they are adding HD to markets when there are quite a few markets that don't get even SD locals.

cyblet, multiple markets announced today are getting locals for the first time.

My market, Albany, Georgia, which was announced today has had SD-LIL from Dish Network available for over five years now, and HD-LIL for over a year (by the time DirecTV adds us), but this will be the first time DirecTV has offered any sort of locals here.

Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL are two first time markets as well...

~Alan

#59 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Re-read his question. ;)

Yes, Nick, if you live in the Sioux Falls DMA, you should be eligible for locals once they become available! ;)

~Alan

Actually, I did re-read his question. A couple times before I noted the key difference.

Alas, if you live in Sioux FALLS DMA, you will not be able to receive the Sioux CITY DMA locals under present policies.

At some point, nearby locals from other DMAs might be included for some DMAs--though I haven't seen anything about that happening for a long time.

Bigger antenna with an AM-21 is the best hope.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#60 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

By law up to this point, they couldn't provide significantly viewed channels from neighboring markets without first providing the local channels. Hopefully they will offer CBS and NBC from either Mobile or New Orleans. Otherwise, you'll have to opt for the New York feeds.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...