Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What do I need to connect, confused

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

I just called D* to get set up for MRV or connected home or whatever they call it, I have 2) HR20-700s & a H20-100, I assume these are compatible, I also have an AT9 dish which I assume is not compatible, none of them are interconnected on a network nor am I connected to the internet. The tech service guy at D* says I cannot get connected (to MRV) until at least 1 of the DVRs is connect to a router through a computer to the internet (I have a home system but it is 2 stories away from the DVRs) is this true? Also the tech was unclear whether the connection from the router to the HR20 should be cat 5 or Coax with DECA connections. If I have to connect with cat 5 or coax anybody from the Atlanta area have any idea who may be able to do this in the northern Gwinnett Co area? Thanks for your indulgance, I am sure this has been asked more than once!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Technically they don't need to be connected to an Ethernet network at all to have MRV. However, that would require SWiM and DECA adapters for your existing receivers. That would connect them to each other for MRV, but not for DirecTV On Demand, Media Share, etc.

With that said, I'm actually unclear what the exact requirements are by DirecTV. It could be they want internet access.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Mine doesn't have internet access. I have internet at home but it is over satellite which is too slow & too restrictive for me to be able to take advantage of any of the things that D* offers over the internet.

Incidentally, your H20 is not compatible & would have to be swapped out. Since you don't have internet at home, you'll need the DECA upgrade. Call back & talk to another CSR. You should get better information the second time.

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

They'll swap your H20 and they'll change you to a SWM LNB

#5 OFFLINE   tsbrady1

tsbrady1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

FWIW I do have internet at home, it's jsut not connected to any of the HR20-700s, it appears that I don't need an internet conn but the guy at D* said I did

BTW... thanks for your replies!

#6 OFFLINE   mmmason23

mmmason23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

I called to get set up and the car I talked to said I needed Internet. I don't have any Internet. Is this correct? Do I need Internet to get mrv?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...