Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tennis Anyone? French Open on DIRECTV

tfc

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

As expected, DIRECTV is ready for Tennis:

The French Open Experience delivers complete coverage of multiple live matches simultaneously.
From May 23 - 30, 2010, the French Open Experience includes:

• Mix channel serves up to six different live matches at once.
  • 5 court channels provide additional live coverage available in both SD and HD.
  • Interactive features keep track on all of the tournament action without missing a second of the match you're watching.
  • Interactive application available on Mix Channel, Court Channels, Tennis Channel, and ESPN2 (during their coverage of the event)
  • Also available on ESPN2 HD (but not Tennis Channel HD)
  • Video On-Demand content:
  • Current Year Preview
  • Daily Highlights Show
Channels:
  • Ch. 701: French Open Mix Channel
  • Ch. 702-707: Court Channels
  • Ch. 217: Tennis Channel
  • Ch. 209: ESPN2
  • Ch. 104/205: Mix Channel (French Open Mix takes over)
  • Ch. 1005: French Open On Demand

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

As usual, Directv prides itself on being the leader in sports programming.
:)
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   karlhenri

karlhenri

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I really think these tennis multiplex channel are a great value add. It's really too bad I can't take advantage of them more, what with work and all.

I wonder what Directv has cooked up for the World Cup. THere aren't too many opportunities for simultaneous matches, but multiple camera and commentary tracks wouldn't be bad. That stuff already exists.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,239 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

yeah same here, just waiting to see if DTV has something in store for the world cup

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

I cant wait for the French Open. I will be watching and thanks D*!

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

, but multiple camera and commentary tracks wouldn't be bad. That stuff already exists.

What are the rights like for that?

Maybe can have multiple cameras.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

As usual, Directv prides itself on being the leader in sports programming.
:)

Yes and these interactive mix sports channels are really great IMHO :sunsmile: Way to go D* :hurah: :heart: :goodjob:

#8 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Being a big time tennis fan (even love World Team Tennis - go Kastles, WTT champions), these extra value match coverage channels and the mix channel is just one more reason why I love DirecTV.

It's also why I've been with them for so long (since 1996).

#9 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

I love tennis and am very excited for the FO. Thanks D*!

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

What's wrong with the PQ on the HD channels? It's awful... The mix channel looks fine but the HD channels look SD esque. Tennis Channel or the simulcast on channel 702 look fine. But for instance, Gulbis match on 704 is same as on Tennis Channel but the TC version is much sharper and clearer. Any ideas? I even brought back the SD feeds in my guide in case they mistakenly put the HDs under 704-1 etc... Never seen HD look this way during tennis coverage on the D* channels.

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,117 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

What's wrong with the PQ on the HD channels? It's awful... The mix channel looks fine but the HD channels look SD esque. Tennis Channel or the simulcast on channel 702 look fine. But for instance, Gulbis match on 704 is same as on Tennis Channel but the TC version is much sharper and clearer. Any ideas? I even brought back the SD feeds in my guide in case they mistakenly put the HDs under 704-1 etc... Never seen HD look this way during tennis coverage on the D* channels.

I see the same...it's like all SD widescreen, except 702.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Yup, they are all SD except 702. Pretty disappointed.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

I see the same...it's like all SD widescreen, except 702.

Yup, they are all SD except 702. Pretty disappointed.

Maybe at 12p EDT when ESPN picks up the coverage the quality will be what it should be. I doubt it since I think they just change the logo, but the PQ has never been this weak in the past.

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

D*.com says - Exclusive bonus coverage channels you won't see anywhere else. All in crytstal-clear HD. Every spectacular minute from French Open available in glorious HD. -- Yeah not so glorious!

#15 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

very disappointing to say the least.

#16 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

These complaints come up every tournament. Except for maybe the second show court, I don't recall D*'s extra tennis coverage to be in anything other than SD widescreen. It's what I've come to expect. It's likely a problem with the "source." In most of the world, widescreen SD broadcasting preceded widescreen HD so some matches might only be film in SD. Also, I believe the ESPN is essentially acting as a middle man (most of the matches can also be found on ESPN3/360) and on the technical level they might not be able to transmit/process the HD source for all six matches simultaneously.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

These complaints come up every tournament. Except for maybe the second show court, I don't recall D*'s extra tennis coverage to be in anything other than SD widescreen. It's what I've come to expect. It's likely a problem with the "source." In most of the world, widescreen SD broadcasting preceded widescreen HD so some matches might only be film in SD. Also, I believe the ESPN is essentially acting as a middle man (most of the matches can also be found on ESPN3/360) and on the technical level they might not be able to transmit/process the HD source for all six matches simultaneously.

QD - It's always been in crystal-clear HD. I've watched these tournaments from the beginning when D* offered the extra channels and all four have been in HD. NOT this HD but real HD. This is the first time the HD looks like SD. The French Open last year did not have this awful picture in HD. It was much better.

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

In other words the HD PQ matched that of Tennis Channel and ESPN on all the 700 channels. It's never been like this.

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

The Tsonga match is in a 5th set on 703. Instead of ESPN2 209/702 showing this match they are showing Venus Williams. Even though the match on 703 is in a 5th set and much more intriguing for a 1st round match. Unfortunately the HD is almost unwatchable. :confused:

#20 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

The Tsonga match is in a 5th set on 703. Instead of ESPN2 209/702 showing this match they are showing Venus Williams. Even though the match on 703 is in a 5th set and much more intriguing for a 1st round match. Unfortunately the HD is almost unwatchable. :confused:

Yah I just woke up and turned on the French Open and went "wow" how dissappointing, the picture is awful on all the bonus channels.

What happened to the HD? :mad:

Was it like this last year for the French?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...