Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV Install: What should I expect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

So I called D* on Saturday and got a good deal on upgrading my equipment to have MRV enabled/installed this Friday morning and I want to know what to expect.

I've read through a bunch of the threads around MRV, DECA and SWM installs and have taken a stab at trying to figure out what I should expect. I've included a current state look and a thought on what the future state looks like.

Can someone help me out? :confused:

Thanks

Attached Files

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

So you're upgrading all of your equipment to HD? If so then they will just install a SWM, add a deca to your existing HD DVR and any new equipment they install unless it's an H24 or HR 24.

#3 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thank you Shades

Yes I am upgrading all of my equipment to HD. So would you say that my future state diagram is right? Thehe part that I'm not sure about is what type of SWM, where power inserters go, if I would need a band stop filter, and how the SWM splitter would work (I saw there's an 8 port one on SolidSignal). I like to know what I'm getting ahead of time so that I know what to look for when the install is happening.

Edited by stp147, 17 May 2010 - 02:45 PM.
Updating Response

#4 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if your multiswitch is indoors or out, but the SWiM Power Inserter must be indoors, and it can be on either side of the splitter. You could even use that sixth existing RG6 cable for the Power Inserter, and then you are using all of your existing cabling.

The most likely scenario is your LNB would be switched for a SWiMLNB. If that has the green dot, then you don't need a BSF there. The 8-way splitter could go in the same place that the existing multiswitch is. The power passing port on the 8 way splitter needs to be connected to the SWiM Power Inserter. The only other place you would need a BSF is if your new HDDVR is an HR20-100.

#5 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thanks David

My multiswitch is inside my wiring closet so no problem there, it sounds like I'll have 3 unused cable runs from the dish to my wiring closet (and 1 each to each of my current DVRs). Is it likely that I'll get an 8-way splitter or will they do a combination of smaller splitters? Also is there a possibility that they'll use a SWM-8 instead of the SWMLNB?

#6 OFFLINE   stp147

stp147

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

So I had my install today and wanted to share the result. Wasn't the smoothest install ever but it got done.

Attached Files

spam firewall