Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA and Media Share, VOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

I had the DECA installed today and I thought they would be hooking something into my router so VOD and Media share would still work. He finished and did not hook anything into my router, BUT I am still able to use Media Share using Play-on. I am not complaining at all, just wondering how the HR21 is seeing my computer when it is not hooked into my home network. Can someone explain to me how this is possible? I am watching a mkv video that is on my computers Hard Drive as I type.
Directv with 4 HDDVR's 3 HR24's and one HR21
Dish with Hopper/sling, Hopper/sling adapter and 4 joeys

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Were any of your DVRs hooked to your router by ethernet cables before? Is one of them STILL hooked up via ethernet? Do you have a wireless access point plugged into the second port on any of the DVRs?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Ok so I think I figured it out and think this is what you are saying as well. The HR21 still has the Ethernet cable hooked up into the bottom Ethernet port and this is pushing the signal to all of my DVR's. If that is how it works I am impressed to say the least. Media Share is working all every DVR and MRV has been flawless, not a single glitch so far. And the fact that PlayOn played the MKV file without a hitch makes it even sweeter.

Directv for 17 years, Dish for 1 month. Loving the Hopper and Primetime anytime so far.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

If thats the case, call DirecTv and tell them to install a DECA to your network. Using both ethernet jacks on your DVR is unsupported, and not recommended. Since you paid for it, you might as well have it done correctly.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   redram38

redram38

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 684 posts
  • LocationMillington Tn

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

If thats the case, call DirecTv and tell them to install a DECA to your network. Using both ethernet jacks on your DVR is unsupported, and not recommended. Since you paid for it, you might as well have it done correctly.

Why is it not recommended? Just wondering if it can hurt anything. It seems to be working fine like this. How would the Deca be installed to the network?

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Why is it not recommended? Just wondering if it can hurt anything. It seems to be working fine like this. How would the Deca be installed to the network?

It puts an unnecessary load on the cpu. A cpu that some can argue is already underpowered to begin with.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...