Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv World Cup plans: Anything special planned?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   karlhenri

karlhenri

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:20 AM

Is DirectTV planning antyhign special for US TV viewers?

All the games will be broadcast in glorious HD and there is som 3D planned, but that's at the ESPn level. What about Mix Channels or special channels? Camera angle choices?

Now I found these links online, but it's for DirecTV Carribbean:

http://www.directvca...world-cup/index

http://www.directvca...ming/fifa/index

Any possiblity these features will not be offered in North America? Rights issues?

ESPN holds the rights here. Could that be the reason?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jr71561

jr71561

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

It's not that, when will you all understand Soccer in the USA has no interest and never will. Its a foreign game and will remain that way just accept it!!!

#3 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

It's not that, when will you all understand Soccer in the USA has no interest and never will. Its a foreign game and will remain that way just accept it!!!

Don't want to start a flame war here but soccer (football) has been played here since the late 1860s and is popular among youth (soccer moms) and wasn't a World Cup played here?? Probably the only reason it doesn't seem "popular" here is because it seems the USA never gets out of the opening round. But this year should be different with us being put into an easier group. IMO, any HD is good HD...

#4 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Post #2 is just trolling.

#5 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Don't want to start a flame war here but soccer (football) has been played here since the late 1860s and is popular among youth (soccer moms) and wasn't a World Cup played here?? Probably the only reason it doesn't seem "popular" here is because it seems the USA never gets out of the opening round. But this year should be different with us being put into an easier group. IMO, any HD is good HD...

Didnt the US go deep one year and still no one cared? Soccer is and will remain an absolute niche sport here for a very long time. Youth soccer might change that in time, and I am willing to be that soccer is a bit more popular here now than it was a few decades ago, but we have plenty of other sports that are more exciting to watch. Football, Basketball, Hockey, and even Baseball all move faster than most Soccer matches I've bothered to view.

Now, Rugby...thats a game I'd like to see imported a bit more. I hope BBCA goes HD so I can see an HD Rugby Match or two.

#6 OFFLINE   bri637

bri637

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

At least ESPN doesn't see it that way, with them showing every game in HD, some even on ESPN radio for the first time, along with 250 hours of programming and broadcasting 12 hours a day during the first round. It is going to be bliss.

#7 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

And they have hired some of the best commentators too. It is going to be a fabulous month. Go England.

#8 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

At least ESPN doesn't see it that way, with them showing every game in HD, some even on ESPN radio for the first time, along with 250 hours of programming and broadcasting 12 hours a day during the first round. It is going to be bliss.

Awesome, we might get a mix channel then. But I don't know because the French Open is around this time too and they always put up a mix for that. Whats cool too is that we have Univision in HD, but what is not cool is that they don't have a reverse SAP button for spanish channels...

#9 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

The trouble with a Mix channel is that very few games are played at the same time. I believe that only the final games in each of the groups are played at the same time to avoid collusion, but that is it.

#10 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

The trouble with a Mix channel is that very few games are played at the same time. I believe that only the final games in each of the groups are played at the same time to avoid collusion, but that is it.

Oh really, didn't know that. Either way, it's still going to be epic

#11 OFFLINE   DaveC27

DaveC27

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'd imagine that continued immigration from soccer playing countries will continue to push the balance more towards an acceptance of soccer as a sport

And then we can work on the cricket :grin:

#12 OFFLINE   mp12point7

mp12point7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

Is soccer popular in the USA? This baseball-loving granddad is finding himself at the side of the YMCA fields three and four days a week for either practices or games for our 8 and 10 yearolds. Yes they love tennis, football and baseball, too; but dinner talk is always about their soccer matches. The tide is turning. Maybe ESPN is onto something and they will one day be seen as the force that brought popularity to USA soccer because of their 2010 World Cup coverage.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

Is soccer popular in the USA? This baseball-loving granddad is finding himself at the side of the YMCA fields three and four days a week for either practices or games for our 8 and 10 yearolds. Yes they love tennis, football and baseball, too; but dinner talk is always about their soccer matches. The tide is turning. Maybe ESPN is onto something and they will one day be seen as the force that brought popularity to USA soccer because of their 2010 World Cup coverage.

Soccer has a lot of appeal to kids and the parents of kids. It's cheaper to play than most other sports and it keeps the kids more involved (no waiting to bat, no sitting in right field, etc.).

That doesn't mean it will gain in popularity when they are adults. I'm 45 and played a lot of soccer growing up, because it was easy to kick a ball around. I gave it up when I turned 14 and never looked back (much like most of my peers).

Heck, Kick Ball is pretty popular among the kids in my neighborhood, but I don't see that catching on either.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Big Dawg 23

Big Dawg 23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

I am a soccer fan and hope for FSC in HD soon. As for beiung Popular yes it is among youths and high school. However, when it comes to Pro that is where the drop off is. Living here in Minnesota we've had two defunct national teams/leagues with the Minnesota Kicks (NASL) and Minnesota Strikers (MISL). I enjoyed both of them but nothing on MLS as of yet. I also see a lack of support for a pro team here.

In the end Soccer here will not be as popular as NHL, NFL, NBA or MLB in the US. Who to say the issue is lack of US born players known world wide. Over in Europe it is another story. You can tell popularity by FSC. It covers many countries and look at the addition or take over to create FSC +.

#15 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

I was a teenager when the soccer boom of the seventies occurred here in the US. At that time, everyone said that when the teenagers who played and watched soccer at that time grew up, the sport would take off in the US. Didn't happen.

I remember when the US hosted the World Cup in 1994. Again, everyone said that now that the US had hosted the WC, the sport would take off. Didn't happen.

Bottom line is that soccer will always be a niche sport here in the US. It reminds me of hockey -- it has a core group of fans in major markets that watch it and go to games. However, it just doesn't translate into major marketability and following here in the US for whatever reason.

Not trying to be critical of soccer, just stating how I see this situation given the history of soccer in this country in the last 40 years. I'm just very skeptical that soccer will ever boom in this country, esp. now that the sports market dollars are significantly drying up given the challenging state of our current economy.

#16 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Um, US players are known worldwide. Look at the teams that the players on the US Men's National Team play for.

The MLS is not well respected internationally. The quality of the product is good, MLS teams would compare well with international clubs, at least mid-table clubs. Its Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Barca and Milan teams that they would have trouble with. There is also a structural difference in season schedules that result in a mismatch (see Columbus's performance in the CONCACAF champion's league v. Toluca; and the MLS All Star game will be a scrimmage against a pre-season Man U club).

Soccer may supplant the NHL (through the NHL's own problems) and be on-par with NBA. Most MLS stadiums hold about 20k, and it would be nice to see them sell out, with a decent TV following. MLS plays about a 30 game season. That isn't as many people attending as the NFL (16 games @60k+ per +TV) or MLB (160 games at 30 to 40 k), but its nothing to sneeze at either.

#17 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Um, US players are known worldwide. Look at the teams that the players on the US Men's National Team play for.

I couldn't name one player on the US Men's National Team and I have do desire to learn who they are either.

I agree with other's in this thread that youth soccer is a great form of exercise for kids and it gives kids something to do, but IMO, that doesn't translate into becoming life long fans of the sport. If anything, I would think burnout on the game for kids would be an issue, espically after being hauled from tournament to tournament year after year after year after......

I'm a huge MLB, NFL, and college football fan. I'd rather watch a lame reality show on VH1 than watch the World Cup.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#18 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

speak for yourself
soccer is more popular than all the other american sports put together:rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

I'm a huge MLB, NFL, and college football fan. I'd rather watch a lame reality show on VH1 than watch the World Cup.

To each their own.

Not sure I would comment in a VH1 thread that I can't remember the last time I watched something on VH1, though.

#20 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I was a teenager when the soccer boom of the seventies occurred here in the US. At that time, everyone said that when the teenagers who played and watched soccer at that time grew up, the sport would take off in the US. Didn't happen.

I remember when the US hosted the World Cup in 1994. Again, everyone said that now that the US had hosted the WC, the sport would take off. Didn't happen.

Bottom line is that soccer will always be a niche sport here in the US. It reminds me of hockey -- it has a core group of fans in major markets that watch it and go to games. However, it just doesn't translate into major marketability and following here in the US for whatever reason.

Not trying to be critical of soccer, just stating how I see this situation given the history of soccer in this country in the last 40 years. I'm just very skeptical that soccer will ever boom in this country, esp. now that the sports market dollars are significantly drying up given the challenging state of our current economy.

who cares if soccer will never boom in this country
its the top sport in most other countries and the most watched sport by far in the world.simply put soccer RULES and it will forever rule:rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...