Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broadband DECA

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

I had my install yesterday, and really didn't think of this until the tech left. My boxes were connected to the Internet. I know I could use a hub to get it connected, but should I have gotten a third DECA as part of the install to get reconnected to the Internet? I emailed DirecTV and they want $25 for it. I'll buy one if I need to, but wanted to check first.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

how were you connected to the internet before?

#3 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

I had my install yesterday, and really didn't think of this until the tech left. My boxes were connected to the Internet. I know I could use a hub to get it connected, but should I have gotten a third DECA as part of the install to get reconnected to the Internet? I emailed DirecTV and they want $25 for it. I'll buy one if I need to, but wanted to check first.

The "Broadband DECA" unit isn't out yet but now they should have connected a coax line to where you router or ethernet switch is and connected a regular DECA and a power inserter to power it. You should call them.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

The "Broadband DECA" unit isn't out yet but now they should have connected a coax line to where you router or ethernet switch is and connected a regular DECA and a power inserter to power it. You should call them.

Yup. That is currently how they are doing things right now. I believe you need to make sure that your order is for the MRV Upgrade + Internet. That ensures that they will have an extra DECA to bridge your network to the DECA cloud.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

What he said.

You definitely shouldn't be paying anything extra, call and demand the installation be completed.

However, if scheduling another installation will be a problem (like, you have to take off work), something like this could get you going: http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468
:D

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

My HR22 DECA box has a power inserter. I'll see if I can use a hub, though was using a WET610 to connect to the net.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

My HR22 DECA box has a power inserter. I'll see if I can use a hub, though was using a WET610 to connect to the net.

That may be the one to power the SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

How can it have a Power Inserter (unless you're talking about the SWM PI)?
The DECA pigtail connects either to a power supply or a receiver Sat In. :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

How can it have a Power Inserter (unless you're talking about the SWM PI)?
The DECA pigtail connects either to a power supply or a receiver Sat In. :confused:

I need to get behind the TV to really look at it. All I know right now is I saw a splitter and a power inserter when I was starting to try to figure out why the system wasn't working after the tech left the first time. I didn't spend much time looking at that part, as that's when the wife came down and told me there wasn't a DECA on the other box.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

I don't mind waiting, if the Broadband DECA is somehow better then additional connections in using a regular DECA and power inserter.

Anyone got a part number and pix of this 'broadband' DECA?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I don't mind waiting, if the Broadband DECA is somehow better then additional connections in using a regular DECA and power inserter.

The exact same function in this package:
http://www.dbstalk.c...74&d=1271184806
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Nope. It's the exact same device, just in prettier packaging.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#13 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Nope. It's the exact same device, just in prettier packaging.

Yeah was on the phone last night with DirecTV. Said it was exactly the same except it's black instead of white. The color difference is them to able to tell customer which DECA is broadband when a trouble report is called in and they're assisting an customer.

So I'm trying for the third time to get DECA install for my router tomorrow afternoon.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...