Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV DECA Installation: SLOWER than Powerline

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lotbass

lotbass

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hello again. It seems there are no issues with MRV (using DECA) between the bedroom HR23-700, my son's HR23-700, and the H24. MRV'ing with the HR21-700 works fine when it is connected via ethernet, but not when using DECA, so I've concluded there is some issue specific to that DVR. It sounds crazy, even to me, but the bottom line is that ethernet works and DECA doesn't with my HR21-700. This may give me an excuse to have DirecTV replace that unit with a newer model; I was going to do that over a year ago due to a failing hard disk, but decided to plug an eSATA drive into it instead (and got much more recording time as well). Of course, I'll have to watch what's recorded on there (a "copy" feature would be useful in this case).

So the only one with an issue is the HR21-700 with an eSATA drive connected?
Have you tried...

1 - seeing if the issue occurs running off the internal drive rather than eSATA drive? (I imagine that would be a pain to do and not likely to be the problem, but it is another variable)
2 - calling Hastur for advice?

PS - Sorry... I have to admit the main reason I am making this post is so I can drop in a Cthulhu reference.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

2 - calling Hastur for advice?

LMAO!

Get this... I found the problem!!!

I swapped the DECA module on my HR21-700 with the one from my son's HR23-700. Now the HR21-700 works fine, and MRV from his HR23-700 stutters.

A bad DECA module! Time to call DirecTV.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

LMAO!

Get this... I found the problem!!!

I swapped the DECA module on my HR21-700 with the one from my son's HR23-700. Now the HR21-700 works fine, and MRV from his HR23-700 stutters.

A bad DECA module! Time to call DirecTV.

This would be the first one, but it isn't impossible.
"Of course" you've tried another ethernet cable?
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

"Of course" you've tried another ethernet cable?

Of course. The same cable that was connected to the "bad" module is now connected to the "good" module.

DirecTV can't just send me the part, so they may have to send out a tech to replace it; I am going to try to get the guy who installed it to begin with to come by.

[EDIT]

I spoke with the installer, and we'll get together on Friday to replace the part. It's funny that DirecTV called me back while I was speaking with him, so I had two conversations going at the same time (on two phones).

Edited by Yog-Sothoth, 19 May 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I'm glad to find out that this is likely a problematic DECA. For sure DECA should be no worse than wired Ethernet and typically it will be better.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

For sure DECA should be no worse than wired Ethernet and typically it will be better.

Performance (between two good modules :lol: ) seems the same as before I had the DECA installation, and it was fine then.

Just to "play," I went to Speedtest.net and ran a test with my laptop connected to a DECA module. I got around 12Mb down, where it would normally be around 20Mb through ethernet. Of course, DECA is optimized for MRV traffic, not internet.

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Just to "play," I went to Speedtest.net and ran a test with my laptop connected to a DECA module. I got around 12Mb down, where it would normally be around 20Mb through ethernet. Of course, DECA is optimized for MRV traffic, not internet.

This is very true .. Just like I'd say DECA over Ethernet for MRV .. I'd say Ethernet over DECA for General purpose ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:43 PM

The installer met me today (where I was having lunch, no less) and brought a replacement DECA module. After connecting it and testing, all is good now. So yes, a faulty DECA module is possible... and confirmed.

Case closed. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...