Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Known Dish 6000 Bugs and Tips

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:12 PM

Considering that there will be or are now several new Dish 6000 customers since the E* Dish 6000 offer. I felt it would be good to have a post with known Dish 6000 bugs or tips in a single post.

• Acquiring Satellite Window: This is the most common bug/issue that annoys all users.

Symptom: While watching OTA programming for over 20 minutes or so, you press the guide button and get a "acquiring satellite" pop up window. You can not cancel this window and must sit and wait it out for what seems like forever (a minute or two).

Reason: Guide information has become old, and the 6000 must tune to the EPG channel to download the guide information.

Work around: Use the > button on the remote and use the banner scrolling instead of the guide or change from an OTA channel to a E* channel and then press guide.

• 8VSB Fan Noise: No matter if the unit is on or off, tuned to SD or HD, tuned to Digital or Analog, tuned to E* or OTA, that damn Fan won't ever shut up!

Symptom: 8VSB fan is always on and its driving you crazy. This keeps you from ever wishing to have a 6000 in your bedroom.

Reason: The 8VSB module needs to keep cool.

Work around: None really, the Fan is supposed to always be on. People have reported that they have unplugged the fan for years without any problem. Others have buried the 6000 in a cabinet with a closed door. Others have relocated the unit to another room. Others have inserted a resistor to reduce the fan RPM to make it quiet. And yet even others say that the fan noise isn't very loud for them and the its all in our heads. Others have even oiled the fan shaft.

If you'd like to replace the fan. You can get a 40mm x 10mm quiet fan, but any tampering with the fan will void any warrenty coverage that you may have.

• 720p Display corruption: Channels such as ESPN-HD or ABC look terrible with jagged lines.

Symptom: All channels which are 720p (such as ESPN-HD or ABC) get terrible weird lines or jagged edges.

Reason: Don't know.

Work Around: Go to the HDTV setup screen in the Dish 6000's menu (6-1-8) and press the adjust button. Just move the display slightly around and save. This is known to fix the problem immediately and permanently.

• TIP: Tuning directly to a OTA channel: How to tune directly to a Digital or Analog OTA channel on the 6000.

How: Normally with the satellite channels you can just punch in the 3 or 4 digital channel number to tune directly to a channel.

2-0-5 = Fox News
    9-4-2-1 = Discovery HD Theater.

You can do the same with the OTA channels, by entering 5, 4, or sometimes 3 digits.

0-0-5-0-1 = 5.1 Digital
    0-0-4-0-0 = 4 Analog
    0-5-0-0-1 = 50.1 Digital
    0-0-2-0-3 = 2.3 Digital
    0-4-5-0-0 = 45 Analog
    0-0-7 = 7.1 Digital if no analog 7 is present
    0-0-7-1 = 7.1 Digital

• Dish 6000 Locks up on one Digital Channel:

Symptom: Signal strength wise, you should be able to get this channel in just fine. Its coming in at better than 50%, you can add it to the channel line up, but when you go to watch it, it just sits there, the signal meter locks up and after a while, the unit either reboots or you get knocked out to another channel either at the beginning of the line up or just adjacent to the channel you where trying to watch.

Reason: Something funky in the PSIP? Don't know.

Work Around: Delete both that Digital channel and if there is a corresponding Analog channel for that one, delete it too. So if 45.1 is locking up and you also have 45.00 analog added, delete them both. Then re-add only the digital 45.1 channel to your line up. If should come in Ok and you should be able to view programming on it. If so, then you can try and re-add the Analog channel after the digital has been working.

• Tip: Changing Aspect: Stretch Zoom Go!

What: The Dish 6000 allows you to change aspects from Normal, to Partial Zoom, to Full Zoom, to Stretch to even Gray Bars. Play with the * button on your remote to cycle through them.

• Tip: Home Theater mode: Operate the 6000 with all front panel LEDs turn off.

What: Using the remote, power off your 6000
    Press the "Sys Info" button. You should see your 6000's System Information screen. Now, press the "SD/HD" button twice.

• Tuning an Digital OTA sub-channel when they aren't broadcasting.

If you have a digital OTA channel programmed with sub-channels, don't try to tune to a sub-channel when they aren't broadcasting on it. The 6000 will move the channels from their PSIP assigned addresses, to their UHF channel number with sub channels. Ie) 22.1 on UHF 42 would become 42.1.

Reason: ???

Workaround: Don't do it.

This inconvenience really rears its head when you don't know when sub-channels are dark. How do you learn? Repetitions. To get the channels back in order, go to the Add DTV button in the locals menu and re-add the channel. It will put them back into their orignal postion (and remove the errored assignments).

• Program Information for OTA Digital channels does not appear in the guide.

What: Program Titles and Program descriptions appear as "Local Digital" in the program guide instead of actual show data. The 8VSB module guide shows these as active.

Reason: PSIP is a protocol that is used by digital broadcasters to include program infomation and scheduling. This protocol is not fully utilitized by many broadcasters and the Dish 6000 does not fully implement it either. When you tune in a digital channel, you will likely get the station's call letters and maybe the names of their subchannels. Besides that, PSIP is ignored.

Work Arounds: None really. Dish likely won't code more PSIP support into the 6000, and even broadcasters who are supporting PSIP properly aren't being decoded fully. They OTA analog stations will at least allow you to assign generic ABC, CBS, and NBC networks to them so that Primetime lines up appear in the guide. I don't know why Local Digitals didn't allow this optionally.

• Dish HDTV channels are no longer available.

What: The Dish 6000 has been working just fine. Suddenly HD channels which used to work have stopped. Sometimes you can hear audio, but the screen remains black. This likely started to happen around the 1st of September 2004.

Reason: Dish has changed encryption from Nag1 to Nag2. This requires that you change your smart cards from the Blue to the Yellow cards. These should have been sent to you earlier in the year.

Work Arounds: Call Dish and obtain the new Yellow Smart Cards.

Feel free to contribute to this list if you have any other tips or warnings. :D I'll be sure to rip them off and repost them above and pass them off as my own.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:24 PM

Nice list, Cyclone. You have one error however. On Item 4, it is only necessary to enter 3 or 4 digits. Example, Channel 7.1 digital= 0071. This will bring you to channel 7.1. If there is a 7.2, enter 0072 and you will go directly there. If you don't have an analog channel 7, entering 007 will bring you directly to 7.1.
Bobby C

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:24 PM

Excellent post Cyclone! I'll add some more points when I get a chance.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   mds54

mds54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:34 PM

Nice job, Cyclone!

I would like to add another possible solution regarding #2: 8VSB fan noise....
I oiled it! I simply opened the cover, dropped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the fan's moving parts assembly and retightened the housing screws before re-securing the cover. The noise has dropped from unbearable to hardly noticeable for over a year now. (YMMV)

#5 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:36 PM

Another tip:
If you want to see what's on, you need to manually add the ANALOG channel and associate it with an affiliate: ABC, CBS or NBC, then you can hit INFO on your ANALOG channel to see what's on. For some reason, only Primetime has the show Title, but has INFO descriptions most other times but they are not 100% correct out of Primetime.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#6 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 02:38 PM

Great job Cylcone! Those are pretty much the most annoying things about the 6000. Sticking this thread.

#7 OFFLINE   OKCrew

OKCrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:57 PM

Good job Cyclone...

Here is a thread on AVS where I suggested a more knowledgable and kind hearted enthusiast like yourself post some 6000 FAQ. The moderator said it was unneeded. There are some more items there that possibly could be added to your Bugs and Tips.

Thanks...

#8 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:59 PM

Thanks! I'll keep a watch on this thread. Maybe Dish will too!

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:19 PM

How about must have satellite signal for OTA to work. Don't expect to be able to remove the box and take it to a friends house with no dish. Also if you have rain fade don't hit the guide button since you won't be able to get back to OTA then either.

#10 OFFLINE   rollua1

rollua1

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:19 AM

Thanks . Great job Cyclone :)

#11 OFFLINE   oyving

oyving

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:29 AM

[*]Tuning an Digital OTA sub-channel when they aren't broadcasting.

If you have a digital OTA channel programmed with sub-channels, don't try to tune to a sub-channel when they aren't broadcasting on it. The 6000 will delete the whole channel set.

I'm a new 6000 owner with 7.80 software and just this morning, I tuned in "dark" channels. (0% signal) and they were not deleted.

#12 OFFLINE   OKCrew

OKCrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:44 AM

I'm a new 6000 owner with 7.80 software and just this morning, I tuned in "dark" channels. (0% signal) and they were not deleted.

I have always been able to tune to digitals even when they are not transmitting without loosing the channels.

I think this may be another PSIP bug that Cyclone is running into with his local digitals.

#13 OFFLINE   rollua1

rollua1

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 211 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:46 AM

i'm having the same problems as Cyclone with my local channels

#14 OFFLINE   felthove

felthove

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:14 AM

I just got the 8vsb pack yesterday and the fan was loud. I took the cartridge apart and unplugged the jumper that attaches the fan to the card (and powers the fan). Now it's quiet and won't bug me. Anyone see any problems with doing that given that

1) the 6000 is in a well ventilated area;

2) I only use the 6000 for HDTV; I have a dish 508 in the same room for my SD programming. So the 6000 won't be on THAT often.

Thanks for the tips on the 6000. They helped a bunch. I just hope I didn't go to far!

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:26 AM

I just got the 8vsb pack yesterday and the fan was loud. I took the cartridge apart and unplugged the jumper that attaches the fan to the card (and powers the fan). Now it's quiet and won't bug me. Anyone see any problems with doing that given that

1) the 6000 is in a well ventilated area;

2) I only use the 6000 for HDTV; I have a dish 508 in the same room for my SD programming. So the 6000 won't be on THAT often.

Thanks for the tips on the 6000. They helped a bunch. I just hope I didn't go to far!

My personal opinion is that if Dish put it in it must be needed, they wouldn't spend the $'s if it wasn't. While it works now I'd be concerned that in a few days/weeks you'd end up cooking a chip.

#16 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:29 AM

I posted this. My last 6000 (sold in Aug) did this.

Let me explain more...

Let's say a channel broadcast on 12-01,12-02,12-03,12-04,12-06. The channels are the main SD on 12-01 and a bunch of multicast. Note 12-05 is dark. In the evening they light up 12-05 and push HD on it. If 12-05 is not active but programmed, and they are broadcasting the other subchannels, and you tune to 12-05, the whole channel set 12 is erased.

I have had my new 6000 for about a week but haven't verified this still happens. I avoided it. Right now 12 DT is off the air. Later today I'll try to see if it still happens.

#17 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:11 AM

felthove, if you have the 8psk module also, DO NOT unplug the fan, it will overheat and cause all kinds of weird things to happen, like losing the satellite, rebooting, locking up, etc. The fan is annoying but is necessary.

#18 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:34 AM

Well, I couldn't have said it better than gpflepsen, but I'll give it a try.

Its not the 0% channels that get lost, its Sub-channels that are off the air (while the signal is still present). I'll use my local WMPT-DT PBS as the example.

During the day they have 4 channels.

22.2 SD
22.2 PBS Kids
22.4 Public Square
22.5 Learn

At night they have only 2 channels

22.2 SD
22.3 off the air (with a banner screen)
22.4 off the air (with a banner screen)
22.5 off the air (with a banner screen)
22.6 HDTV

Notice that 22.6 is completely absent during the day. Well, if you try an tune into 22.6 while its off the air during the day, the signal strength the channel is normal, but since 22.6 is Off the air, the 6000 freaks out and deletes the entire 22.x lineup. My experience is that they actuallly get moved over to 42.x since that's is true UHF channel number. If you are using a favorites list, then they appear to have been deleted. I then have to re-add the channel for it to be fixed.

By Contrast, WETA-DT the DC PBS affiliate handles the situation differently.

During the day

26.1 SD
26.2 Prime
26.3 PBS Kids
26.4 PBS You

At night

26.1 HDTV
26.2 Prime
26.3 off the air (with a banner screen)
26.4 off the air (with a banner screen)

Tuning into any of these 26.x channels never causes a lockup.

BTW: 26.x WETA's tower was hit by a car and it as 0% right now. It does not get deleted when I try in tune into it.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#19 OFFLINE   OKCrew

OKCrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:01 AM

That explains why I havn't encountered the problem. We have only 1 OTA that multi-plexe sub channels and it broadcasts digital 24/7. Good to know of this bug in case some start broadcasting sub channels part time.

I have had a channel, VHF 10 mapped to 8-1 ABC (no other sub channels), some times "freak out" and revert to 10-1. I have to delete and readd. I assumed it was a PSIP glitch.

#20 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:10 AM

It's the PSIP info that is screwing with your receiver. Whenever they change the channel info like that from HD to SD it really freaks out the 6000. Just the channel being off the air will not cause it. Your mappings are really weird, I've never seen a station number them that way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...