Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Known Dish 6000 Bugs and Tips

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   oyving

oyving

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:45 AM

OK... Stupid Question..

What's PSIP?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 11:51 AM

OK... Stupid Question..

What's PSIP?

Program and System Information Protocol (PSIP) is data that is transmitted along with a station's DTV signal that tells DTV receivers important information about the station and what is being broadcast. The most important function of PSIP is to provide a method for DTV receivers to identify a DTV station and to determine how a receiver can tune to it. PSIP identifies both the DTV channel and the associated NTSC (analog) channel. It helps maintain the current channel branding because DTV receivers will electronically associate the two channels making it easy for viewers to tune to the DTV station even if they do not know the channel number.

In addition to identifying the channel number, PSIP tells the receiver whether multiple program channels are being broadcast and, if so, how to find them. It identifies whether the programs are closed captioned, conveys V-chip information, if data is associated with the program, and much more. If broadcasters do not include properly encoded PSIP data in their DTV signals, receivers may not correctly identify and tune to the station.

#23 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

I have one more problem, but I'm not sure how to define it. I also haven't seen anyone else report it.

The Baltimore ABC affiliates WMAR-DT has three channels.

2.1 HDTV
2.2 SD
2.3 Doppler Radar

If I am watching a OTA Digital Channel or a E* HDTV channel and I switch to 2.3 or even one of those "Banner while off the air PBS sub channels that I mentioned in my other post" the Dish 6000 will have an all black screen. I'm guessing the 6000 has a problem with very low bandwidth channel.

If I change to one of those channels from a OTA Analog or a E* SD channel, it will tune in just fine.

Does anyone else ever see symptoms like this with any of the channels in your markets?
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#24 OFFLINE   oyving

oyving

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:15 PM

I have one more problem, but I'm not sure how to define it. If I am watching a OTA Digital Channel or a E* HDTV channel and I switch to 2.3 or even one of those "Banner while off the air PBS sub channels that I mentioned in my other post" the Dish 6000 will have an all black screen. I'm guessing the 6000 has a problem with very low bandwidth channel.

If I change to one of those channels from a OTA Analog or a E* SD channel, it will tune in just fine.

Does anyone else ever see symptoms like this with any of the channels in your markets?

I do.. A local channel has a live cam set up, at times it will only flash on when I turn that channel off.

#25 OFFLINE   OKCrew

OKCrew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:41 PM

I don't have your problem but I have noticed something that may be related. I have one OTA HD that the signal fluctuates quite a bit. I get a better signal lock on it if I navigate to it from another SD OTA or SD satellite channel. I don't think I am imagining this. I think the 8VSB will lock better on the HD channel entering from an SD rather than another HD. What might also be affecting this is that this fluctuating OTA HD channel is my ABC affiliate and therefor in 720P.

#26 OFFLINE   StarvingForHDTV

StarvingForHDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:34 PM

Thank you Cyclone. You helped make my decision to wait for the 811 easier.

Starving

#27 OFFLINE   Bogney

Bogney

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

I still get the jerky video from HDNet Movies when the 6000 is set to output 720p.

#28 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:09 PM

I still get the jerky video from HDNet Movies when the 6000 is set to output 720p.

I don't understand why HBO HD doesn't act the same way.

#29 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:12 PM

I don't understand why HBO HD doesn't act the same way.

I wonder if it has anything to do with 8PSK.. HDNet Movies is 8PSK and HBOHD is not.
Bobby C

#30 OFFLINE   ride525

ride525

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:23 PM

I got the jerky video on HDNet movies at 720p also. I switched my 6000 to output 1080i to my Samsung DLP, and it looks good now.
DISH HD is WOW !!!

#31 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:26 PM

I am watching CBS HD and on 720p it is jerky too.

What is common to the jerkyness? Discovery, HDNet and HBO HD don't seem to show this.

#32 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:18 PM

My 2 6000's just downloaded 781 (never saw 780)

#33 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:39 PM

Thank you Cyclone. You helped make my decision to wait for the 811 easier.

Starving

Good, you can tell us how many of these features are still present in the 811. :D
I'm an angry gumball

#34 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 06:37 AM

Good job Cyclone...

Here is a thread on AVS where I suggested a more knowledgable and kind hearted enthusiast like yourself post some 6000 FAQ. The moderator said it was unneeded. There are some more items there that possibly could be added to your Bugs and Tips.

Thanks...

It would of been nice to have over at avsforum too. I don't know if people realize how much better it is to have one nice thread with all relevant info in it, rather than have to do a search to find each bit of info, some of which you might not be looking for. And I can never get any results doing a search on avsforum also.

Good job with this thread. Now I know why nbc digitals disappeared yesterday. I was freaking out for a minute.

#35 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 07:38 AM

I like AVS, but I thought dbstalk was more appropriate for this post.
I'm an angry gumball

#36 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:32 PM

I'm getting ghosting when I set my 6k to 720p. I read in a thread somewhere that someone else was getting it as well. The ghosting is very prominent in the menus and only with 720p and adjusting the screen did not help at all..
I was getting the jerky video on HDNET and HDNET Movies but did not correlate it with 720p, I'll have to check which mode I have it in next time I see it. BTW, I have called Dish Tech 3 times on the jerkiness issue, so if you guys see it, please call and pester them about it.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#37 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:42 PM

When I change to ota channels, one or two of them take up to 30 seconds to lock in and provide a picture. Is anyone else having this problem with their 6000.
jerry

#38 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 04:13 PM

It's not your 6000, it's probably the station's PSIP or signal echo causing the problem.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#39 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 04:19 PM

If I call them, will they know how to fix it.
jerry

#40 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:05 PM

Jerry,

I have the same problem with a few channels on my system. It takes about 20 seconds for ABC to come up. I had this problem with PBS, but it seems to have gone away. Darrell is there a way to fix this. I have a preamp, would adjusting that help?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...