Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Known Dish 6000 Bugs and Tips

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   StarvingForHDTV

StarvingForHDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:34 PM

Thank you Cyclone. You helped make my decision to wait for the 811 easier.

Starving

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Bogney

Bogney

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

I still get the jerky video from HDNet Movies when the 6000 is set to output 720p.

#28 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:09 PM

I still get the jerky video from HDNet Movies when the 6000 is set to output 720p.

I don't understand why HBO HD doesn't act the same way.

#29 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 05:12 PM

I don't understand why HBO HD doesn't act the same way.

I wonder if it has anything to do with 8PSK.. HDNet Movies is 8PSK and HBOHD is not.
Bobby C

#30 OFFLINE   ride525

ride525

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:23 PM

I got the jerky video on HDNet movies at 720p also. I switched my 6000 to output 1080i to my Samsung DLP, and it looks good now.
DISH HD is WOW !!!

#31 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2003 - 07:26 PM

I am watching CBS HD and on 720p it is jerky too.

What is common to the jerkyness? Discovery, HDNet and HBO HD don't seem to show this.

#32 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:18 PM

My 2 6000's just downloaded 781 (never saw 780)

#33 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 10:39 PM

Starving

Good, you can tell us how many of these features are still present in the 811. :D
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#34 OFFLINE   marko

marko

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 06:37 AM

Good job Cyclone...

Here is a thread on AVS where I suggested a more knowledgable and kind hearted enthusiast like yourself post some 6000 FAQ. The moderator said it was unneeded. There are some more items there that possibly could be added to your Bugs and Tips.

Thanks...

It would of been nice to have over at avsforum too. I don't know if people realize how much better it is to have one nice thread with all relevant info in it, rather than have to do a search to find each bit of info, some of which you might not be looking for. And I can never get any results doing a search on avsforum also.

Good job with this thread. Now I know why nbc digitals disappeared yesterday. I was freaking out for a minute.

#35 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 07:38 AM

I like AVS, but I thought dbstalk was more appropriate for this post.
I'm an angry gumball

#36 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:32 PM

I'm getting ghosting when I set my 6k to 720p. I read in a thread somewhere that someone else was getting it as well. The ghosting is very prominent in the menus and only with 720p and adjusting the screen did not help at all..
I was getting the jerky video on HDNET and HDNET Movies but did not correlate it with 720p, I'll have to check which mode I have it in next time I see it. BTW, I have called Dish Tech 3 times on the jerkiness issue, so if you guys see it, please call and pester them about it.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#37 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:42 PM

When I change to ota channels, one or two of them take up to 30 seconds to lock in and provide a picture. Is anyone else having this problem with their 6000.
jerry

#38 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 04:13 PM

It's not your 6000, it's probably the station's PSIP or signal echo causing the problem.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#39 OFFLINE   jerryez

jerryez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 04:19 PM

If I call them, will they know how to fix it.
jerry

#40 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 06:05 PM

Jerry,

I have the same problem with a few channels on my system. It takes about 20 seconds for ABC to come up. I had this problem with PBS, but it seems to have gone away. Darrell is there a way to fix this. I have a preamp, would adjusting that help?

#41 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:20 PM

Here's a new one I encountered last night. Had my 6000 control my VCR to record programming over the weekend while I was gone. When I rewound and started playing the tape, what did I see. If you divided the video into 4 quadrants (Upper Left, Upper Right, Lower Left and Lower Right), my 6000 outputed the Upper Left quadrant to the full screen to the VCR. I connect my VCR to the 6000 via the 2nd set of audio/video outs on the 6000.

Any seen similar results?

#42 OFFLINE   dmodemd

dmodemd

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:59 PM

Starving

Uhh... what makes you think the 811 will have LESS bugs?! ;)

For $149 the 6000 is a steeeaaalll.... ( I paid $600+ last year for it)

Lee

#43 OFFLINE   StarvingForHDTV

StarvingForHDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:23 AM

Uhh... what makes you think the 811 will have LESS bugs?! ;)

I suppose there could be a whole new set of bugs. I kind of doubt they will repeat the same problems as the 6000 though.

Starving

#44 OFFLINE   nostar

nostar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:16 AM

Nice job, Cyclone!

I would like to add another possible solution regarding #2: 8VSB fan noise....
I oiled it! I simply opened the cover, dropped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the fan's moving parts assembly and retightened the housing screws before re-securing the cover. The noise has dropped from unbearable to hardly noticeable for over a year now. (YMMV)

I oiled my fan and the noise is gone. Thanks for the info.

#45 OFFLINE   RockScaler

RockScaler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

My 6000u worked great for 5 days but last night after watching HD most of the night I switched to a SD channel and it was full of pixilization. Only the bottom of the screen was recognizable the top was garbage. The HD channels and OTA channels were fine.

Then I switched the 6000 to SD mode and the SD channels were fine (composite connection) But the HD channels were garbage.

Has anyone had this problem?
What would cause that?

Looks like they'll be sending me a new unit.

#46 OFFLINE   ride525

ride525

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:59 PM

Nice job, Cyclone!

I would like to add another possible solution regarding #2: 8VSB fan noise....
I oiled it! I simply opened the cover, dropped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the fan's moving parts assembly and retightened the housing screws before re-securing the cover. The noise has dropped from unbearable to hardly noticeable for over a year now. (YMMV)

Just curious how did you open the cover? Take off the screw and nut over the antenna connection and it comes off after removing four fan screws?
DISH HD is WOW !!!

#47 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:49 PM

Just curious how did you open the cover? Take off the screw and nut over the antenna connection and it comes off after removing four fan screws?

Yup

#48 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:44 PM

Yeah undo the nut on the RF connector and that small phillips screw. he cover then just lifts off. The fan is attached to the cover, so you'll have to unplug the fan to remove the cover fully.
I'm an angry gumball

#49 OFFLINE   RockScaler

RockScaler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:00 PM

My 6000u worked great for 5 days but last night after watching HD most of the night I switched to a SD channel and it was full of pixilization. Only the bottom of the screen was recognizable the top was garbage. The HD channels and OTA channels were fine.

Then I switched the 6000 to SD mode and the SD channels were fine (composite connection) But the HD channels were garbage.

Has anyone had this problem?
What would cause that?

Looks like they'll be sending me a new unit.

Update:
I called tech support and they scheduled for a technician to come out and check out my system. But in the meantime I unplugged all the connections for the 6000 and moved it to my new tv stand. I reconnected everything and it worked fine?? I don't know what I might have done before to cause the pixilization problem but now (happily) I can't reproduce the problem. I canceled my scheduled repair.

#50 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 03:36 PM

Update:
I called tech support and they scheduled for a technician to come out and check out my system. But in the meantime I unplugged all the connections for the 6000 and moved it to my new tv stand. I reconnected everything and it worked fine?? I don't know what I might have done before to cause the pixilization problem but now (happily) I can't reproduce the problem. I canceled my scheduled repair.

When you unplugged the unit and plugged it back in you caused it to "reset" which solved the problem.

Yes, it is a good idea to reset a 6000 when it seems to have a problem from time to time.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...