Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Known Dish 6000 Bugs and Tips

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:20 PM

Here's a new one I encountered last night. Had my 6000 control my VCR to record programming over the weekend while I was gone. When I rewound and started playing the tape, what did I see. If you divided the video into 4 quadrants (Upper Left, Upper Right, Lower Left and Lower Right), my 6000 outputed the Upper Left quadrant to the full screen to the VCR. I connect my VCR to the 6000 via the 2nd set of audio/video outs on the 6000.

Any seen similar results?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dmodemd

dmodemd

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:59 PM

Thank you Cyclone. You helped make my decision to wait for the 811 easier.

Starving

Uhh... what makes you think the 811 will have LESS bugs?! ;)

For $149 the 6000 is a steeeaaalll.... ( I paid $600+ last year for it)

Lee

#43 OFFLINE   StarvingForHDTV

StarvingForHDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 08:23 AM

Uhh... what makes you think the 811 will have LESS bugs?! ;)

I suppose there could be a whole new set of bugs. I kind of doubt they will repeat the same problems as the 6000 though.

Starving

#44 OFFLINE   nostar

nostar

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:16 AM

Nice job, Cyclone!

I would like to add another possible solution regarding #2: 8VSB fan noise....
I oiled it! I simply opened the cover, dropped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the fan's moving parts assembly and retightened the housing screws before re-securing the cover. The noise has dropped from unbearable to hardly noticeable for over a year now. (YMMV)

I oiled my fan and the noise is gone. Thanks for the info.

#45 OFFLINE   RockScaler

RockScaler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

My 6000u worked great for 5 days but last night after watching HD most of the night I switched to a SD channel and it was full of pixilization. Only the bottom of the screen was recognizable the top was garbage. The HD channels and OTA channels were fine.

Then I switched the 6000 to SD mode and the SD channels were fine (composite connection) But the HD channels were garbage.

Has anyone had this problem?
What would cause that?

Looks like they'll be sending me a new unit.

#46 OFFLINE   ride525

ride525

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:59 PM

Nice job, Cyclone!

I would like to add another possible solution regarding #2: 8VSB fan noise....
I oiled it! I simply opened the cover, dropped a bit of 3-in-1 oil on the fan's moving parts assembly and retightened the housing screws before re-securing the cover. The noise has dropped from unbearable to hardly noticeable for over a year now. (YMMV)

Just curious how did you open the cover? Take off the screw and nut over the antenna connection and it comes off after removing four fan screws?
DISH HD is WOW !!!

#47 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:49 PM

Just curious how did you open the cover? Take off the screw and nut over the antenna connection and it comes off after removing four fan screws?

Yup

#48 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:44 PM

Yeah undo the nut on the RF connector and that small phillips screw. he cover then just lifts off. The fan is attached to the cover, so you'll have to unplug the fan to remove the cover fully.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#49 OFFLINE   RockScaler

RockScaler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:00 PM

My 6000u worked great for 5 days but last night after watching HD most of the night I switched to a SD channel and it was full of pixilization. Only the bottom of the screen was recognizable the top was garbage. The HD channels and OTA channels were fine.

Then I switched the 6000 to SD mode and the SD channels were fine (composite connection) But the HD channels were garbage.

Has anyone had this problem?
What would cause that?

Looks like they'll be sending me a new unit.

Update:
I called tech support and they scheduled for a technician to come out and check out my system. But in the meantime I unplugged all the connections for the 6000 and moved it to my new tv stand. I reconnected everything and it worked fine?? I don't know what I might have done before to cause the pixilization problem but now (happily) I can't reproduce the problem. I canceled my scheduled repair.

#50 OFFLINE   HTguy

HTguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 03:36 PM

Update:
I called tech support and they scheduled for a technician to come out and check out my system. But in the meantime I unplugged all the connections for the 6000 and moved it to my new tv stand. I reconnected everything and it worked fine?? I don't know what I might have done before to cause the pixilization problem but now (happily) I can't reproduce the problem. I canceled my scheduled repair.

When you unplugged the unit and plugged it back in you caused it to "reset" which solved the problem.

Yes, it is a good idea to reset a 6000 when it seems to have a problem from time to time.
"A DISH IN EVERY HOME"

#51 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:43 PM

I updated the list to include the Remote Control codes problem.
I'm an angry gumball

#52 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:16 PM

While I can't pass along details to you guys about beta software specifics because of the NDA that I signed, I can tell you that the remote control codes problem is being worked on again very hard, and very quickly. And that there are Tivo users now on the beta team. And, that there's a possibility (this is coming from ME, not Dish) that it won't take "months" to get a software fix out to everyone now. I have a good reason for saying these things, but I can't tell you what the reason is, unfortunately. :D

Read into this what you will.. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#53 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 06:22 PM

Well thanks for the hope Mark.. It is good to hear that Dish is acting agressively on this one.

#54 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:15 PM

I added the "PSIP Program Information in guide" problem, and removed the Remote Control problem that was fixed in 7.83.
I'm an angry gumball

#55 OFFLINE   faiello

faiello

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:14 AM

Thank you to Dish Network and for DBS Talk.com for fixing this remote problem. I was still very disappointed in the way Dish handled this at first, they said that they were not responsible for the problems you are having with third party components. When this problem first started with Netcomand on my Mitsubishi RPTV I called Dish and got nowhere with them, they told me to call the manufacture of my TV. I called Mitsubishi and they did not know why I was having a problem, but sent me a new remote just in case it was a defective remote. The next time I called Dish CSR, my call was for them just to relay this problem to the engineering department, and they said that there was no way for them to do that. So my only other resources were DBStalk.com and satelliteguy.com. Again thanks for forcing Dish to fix this problem.

#56 OFFLINE   Frank Z

Frank Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

Ran into a little problem today while watching a local digital broadcast. Every now and then I would lose the audio. Selecting "Guide" on my remote and then canceling to return to the station I was watching got the sound back. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Anyone know why the HDPPV channel isn't on the guide anymore? Did I miss a major announcement regarding Dish dropping the HDPPV channel?
We will never forget!:flag:

#57 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:57 PM

Anyone know why the HDPPV channel isn't on the guide anymore? Did I miss a major announcement regarding Dish dropping the HDPPV channel?

The FCC gave the transponder that dish was using to VOOM, The HDPPV channel should be back after wednesday when Discovery HD is removed from 61.5
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#58 OFFLINE   acousticbiker

acousticbiker

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

I just got the 6000 and have 3 questions:

1. Regarding fan noise: is the fan supposed to stay on even when the receiver powered off or do I have a defective unit?

2. My local channels only display in the 8200 channel range and not the convenient 2,4,6,7,9, etc. that appear on my 508. Is there a way to have the 6000 display local channels in the more convenient channel range?

3. When I "Add DTV Channel" and the "Edit Name", the name doesn't show up at all on the program guide. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

#59 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

1. Regarding fan noise: is the fan supposed to stay on even when the receiver powered off or do I have a defective unit?

2. My local channels only display in the 8200 channel range and not the convenient 2,4,6,7,9, etc. that appear on my 508. Is there a way to have the 6000 display local channels in the more convenient channel range?

3. When I "Add DTV Channel" and the "Edit Name", the name doesn't show up at all on the program guide. Am I missing something here?

#1, The fans always on in my 6K

#2, Nope

#3, The station name that I enter shows up if you display the full guide, but in the channel banner display (the small box that overlays the top of the screen when you switch channels) it only shows whatever the station send out in the PSIP stream, at least on my 6K

#60 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:07 PM

1. Your unit is not defective, the fan always runs as long as the 6000 has electrical current.

2. There is not enough memory in the 6000 to support channel mapping. The 8200's are your only choice. You will get used to it.

3. I don't even do the Edit Name portion. The 6000 will display whatever your local station puts in the PSIP information anyway.
Bobby C

spam firewall