Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are We DECA'd Out Yet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Dear God this side of DBSTALK is out of control...lol. Somehow I feel Ethernet is best, It just seems more simple. The more I read the more confused I am. For sure I will be staying put for a long while with what works best and Im convinced it is Ethernet enabled MRV. IMO.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, DECA is the dominant topic lately. Pretty amazing since there is supposed to be an HD channel launch tomorrow.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Feel free to stay, but for those moving ahead with it, "once setup" [and if you know what you're doing is easy] there isn't much more to do. less cables and mostly plug & play.
A.K.A VOS

#4 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

Dear God this side of DBSTALK is out of control...lol. Somehow I feel Ethernet is best, It just seems more simple. The more I read the more confused I am. For sure I will be staying put for a long while with what works best and Im convinced it is Ethernet enabled MRV. IMO.

It all depends. In my case, Ethernet is not as easy an option, DVRs on two floors and I'm not comfortable running cat6 cable and installing jacks. DECA was much simpler than wired ethernet and more reliable than wireless.

#5 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

And I will say this, DECA has been flawless for me. I had an ethernet setup in the past that worked but DECA just works. If you self install, it does take some work but once you read up enough, you'll get it!

Am I trying to change your mind, of coarse not! If it works for you, awesome. But if you have any missteps along the way, try DECA, it just works, the way it's designed!

And as others have said, stringing ethernet lines throughout a house may not be all that easy! And I personally wouldn't trust wireless.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

There has certainly been a lot of excitement here @ DBSTalk over DECA .. However, I think it's warranted excitement. I hope everyone here that is networked chooses to go that route .. although I also hope that going that route is a happy process and not a frustrating one as it has been for some due to some of the issues we've seen this week.

For the geeks in this crowd, Ethernet is the most familiar (thus the most comfortable). I get that, and Ethernet is a great general purpose solution. If you live and breath Ethernet every day, it is simple and makes a lot of sense.

DECA really isn't that complicated, and having done both I'd push DECA in a New York Minute. It's really EASIER to install than Ethernet if you don't have any cabling in place. most of the folks here simply want an existing location to have networking .. coax already exists, just add a DECA and you're good to go. No Ethernet wire to string .. connectors to terminate or switches to buy. Past that, DECA is optimized for MRV. DECA will perform as good as or better than any other networking method simply because it understands that Trick Plays are more important than video frames.

Yes, wired Ethernet will work, and additionally, even wireless and powerline will work (better in some cases than others). But the right tool for this job is DECA.

So, to answer the question .. No, we're not DECA'd out :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

DECA is awesome. I am an ethernet fanboy at heart, but I still love what DECA brings to the table for flexibility. It also keeps all that DirecTV MRV off my network :lol:

But the main thing is the ability to not need wireless or wired ethernet at your receiver locations. If you have a satellite connection, you can have MRV, that is just awesome. :)
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

What Grentz said pretty much sums everything up for me. I already have coax runs to all of the rooms in my house and now I don't need network runs. I actually had MRV up and running on my home network but like the idea of getting that traffic onto it's own cloud separate from other audio and/or video I am streaming internally.

Also, as I saw someone else say, I feel like I'm a little future proofed Directv wise since I put in their network/connectivity solution. Where I am located my TV choices are OTA, Directv, and Dish. I am happy with the service and don't see myself changing any time soon so that's another check in the why not go DECA column... ;)

DECA is awesome. I am an ethernet fanboy at heart, but I still love what DECA brings to the table for flexibility. It also keeps all that DirecTV MRV off my network :lol:

But the main thing is the ability to not need wireless or wired ethernet at your receiver locations. If you have a satellite connection, you can have MRV, that is just awesome. :)

#9 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

I now have a bunch of free ethernet ports in my house. I too am an ethernet fanboy, but decided to bite the bullet and had DECA's installed yesterday.

The best way I can explain it is that it's akin to PnP (plug and play) for networking H series receivers. I noticed right away that things like TvAPPs loads about twice as fast, and less "glitching" with MRV was evident as well. 48 hours ago I was more than happy with my nearly flawless gigabit home network.

Now I am even happier with DECA.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

My feeling was to get (unsupported) ethernet authorized now (mine is working flawlessly) and then in a few months when all the dust has settled on the installation issues (installers) go for DECA.

My only problem with DECA is that since 3 of my 4 receivers are HR20-100's the extra splitter, bandpass filter and extra cables needed on each HR20-100 receiver is going to make the installation a bigger rats-nest than it is now.

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

My only problem with DECA is that since 3 of my 4 receivers are HR20-100's the extra splitter, bandpass filter and extra cables needed on each HR20-100 receiver is going to make the installation a bigger rats-nest than it is now.

While the HR20-100 isn't as clean as all the other receivers, the added splitter & filter really aren't that much more "clutter". The DECA itself makes the biggest change in "the footprint" behind the receiver. Or at least it does here for me.
The cleanest are the 24s that don't need them.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

DECA is good.

Its new to some people, but at the end of the day, its more adapatable and has an easier installation footprint. Just small growing pains, but as most with issues have noted, once working - it flat out works, and usually better, than an existing ethernet setup for DirecTV MRV.

#13 OFFLINE   MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

It works. It's supported. It uses the same cable that the satellite feed comes in on. It's optimized for MRV. There's no monthly charge. It interoperates with your home network.

What's not to like? This is a no-brainer. Pay the one-time cost, shut up, and enjoy.

#14 OFFLINE   BudShark

BudShark

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

It works. It's supported. It uses the same cable that the satellite feed comes in on. It's optimized for MRV. There's no monthly charge. It interoperates with your home network.

What's not to like? This is a no-brainer. Pay the one-time cost, shut up, and enjoy.

:lol: You obviously did not read the "pre-release" DECA threads from earlier. Apparently there's a LOT to not like! :grin:

I think, and rightfully so, people who have invested in Ethernet and built out infrastructure felt they should be able to use that. And they were given that option. However, as some are beginning to see, DECA has advantages above and beyond. I do think DECA is the best solution, and should be considered as a nice MRV isolation/prioritization network that compliments your Ethernet network. There's no reason to avoid DECA simply because I have a live Ethernet jack behind my receiver. :D

#15 OFFLINE   Mavrick

Mavrick

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

I am still on a Cloud :) about DECA and am in no rush to get it for my current setup is working fine but I am not saying that I wont upgrade to it in the future.

#16 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I now have a bunch of free ethernet ports in my house. I too am an ethernet fanboy, but decided to bite the bullet and had DECA's installed yesterday.

The best way I can explain it is that it's akin to PnP (plug and play) for networking H series receivers. I noticed right away that things like TvAPPs loads about twice as fast, and less "glitching" with MRV was evident as well. 48 hours ago I was more than happy with my nearly flawless gigabit home network.

Now I am even happier with DECA.

Well said......... Totally agree........
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

I see some fairly rude posts in this thread... let's be nice to each other, ok?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall