Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting HR22 and H24 for MRV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EatDirtFartDust

EatDirtFartDust

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

Can I connect them directly to each other with network cable and they work, or should I connect them both to my router?

I swear I searched before posting this, if this seems like a dumb question to some of you.

Thanks in advance,

-Josh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

Can I connect them directly to each other with network cable and they work, or should I connect them both to my router?

I swear I searched before posting this, if this seems like a dumb question to some of you.

Thanks in advance,

-Josh

Josh, Im not sure if they have an auto crossover detect in them or not, so if you do that, you might have to use a crossover network cable to connect them to each other, but, it should work. Going through the router is the preferred method, since it gains you "Media Share", "DirecTv on Demand", "Network Apps", and the ability to order PPV without a phone line.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   EatDirtFartDust

EatDirtFartDust

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I have the H24 connected to my router because it's right next to it on the entertainment center but It appears it doesn't have functionality for On-demand or other internet abilities, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I don't have the hr22 connected yet, I have a longer network cable on the way and can have it ran under my house in 15 minutes to either the router OR the H24. My internet is only 500k so On Demand and Network apps aren't that important to me, plus I'm not sure the quality of ON Demand I would get with such slow internet.

It should also be noted that the H24 (for right now) is connected to a standard definition tv, so if I attempted to watch high definition programming from the dvr would it just downgrade the image or would it not be playable at all?

Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

It should downgrade it to whatever format you have for watching HD channels on the H24 now.

As for the network, you should be able to access the internet content if your H24 is plugged into the router, and the internet is available to the router. You might check and make sure the router has uPNP enabled, if it has that option.

On the H24, go into the INFO screen, and scroll down the list, and see if the router gave your H24 a network IP in the range your router is set to use, usually 192.168.x.x.

If its a strange number like 127.0.0.0, then go into setup, network, and repeat network setup using defaults, and see if it connects up.

DirecTv on Demand wont work on a non-DVR, so you would have to use the HR for that, but it downloads the movies to your hard drive for play later, so network speed isnt critical.

In your case, run the network cable from the HR24 to the router, so both can be connected would be the best bet.

TV Apps can be accessed by hitting the RIGHT ARROW while watching Live TV on the H24.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   EatDirtFartDust

EatDirtFartDust

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

I just ordered a new network cable to run from the HR22 to the router, but the H24 is connected. The box says I'm successfully connected to the internet and the mediashare box came on on my computer when I did, however the tv apps arent working. I get either error code 3 or 11, which, from the D* forums seems to be fairly common. I've reset and even kept power from the receiver for several minutes and they still wont work.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

I just ordered a new network cable to run from the HR22 to the router, but the H24 is connected. The box says I'm successfully connected to the internet and the mediashare box came on on my computer when I did, however the tv apps arent working. I get either error code 3 or 11, which, from the D* forums seems to be fairly common. I've reset and even kept power from the receiver for several minutes and they still wont work.

Right after a reboot or software download, the error 3 can show for a while. I've seen/had this many times. It should "self correct" within a few hours or over night. This can't be forced sooner by any means I know of and I've tried them all.
After it does correct itself, you should see network services error <202> and then TVApps work fine.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   EatDirtFartDust

EatDirtFartDust

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

Right now I'm getting error code 11 and 3, they take turns. And as far as network services go, I'm getting code 202

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

Right now I'm getting error code 11 and 3, they take turns. And as far as network services go, I'm getting code 202

I haven't seen 11, or know what 3 means.
Right now I'd say give it over night and then check again.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...