Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Confirm if my DECA solution would work

hd upgrade

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Ok so I read through a LOT of great information here from all you guys. And I have to say thanks !
Ok so I have attached a little drawing that shows at the top my current configuration, and at the bottom what I believe I would need to do in order to get DECA working for me.
I do not need the Guest Bedroom DVR on the DECA network, so I believe I don't need anything there. The living room is an HR24 so I believe all I need to do is remove the network connection and everything is all good and comes through the coax.
The questions are will the Office DVR have access into the DECA cloud being straight plugged into the router or would I also need another DECA unit there.
And will it work putting the DECA unit into the Dlink bridge like I have it ?
I know not really supported, but will it work ? trying to see if I only need to buy the stop band filter and 1 DECA unit if it's more cost effective for me to 'do it myself' or call and order through directv. But i wanted to have my facts correct so I know my costs either way.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• J DECA.jpg

Edited by jspiewak, 19 May 2010 - 11:23 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

I've looked at it and really don't know why you'd do the bottom one.
The $99+$49 upgrade would get everything on the DECA network, which looks like a much better option.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

You're making things more difficult for yourself.

For each of the receivers, except for the HR24, you would have a DECA. You will not use the wireless ethernet adapters at any of those receivers anymore. At your office, you could then use the now free second cable from your HR20 and attach one more additional DECA that would then be connected out to your router. That will bridge the DECA cloud to the Internet for you. You would also need a PI for the DECA bridge there as well.

This will enable all of your receivers for MRV and allow access to DirecTV on Demand.

Of course, you could just pay for the MRV/DECA upgrade and all this will be taken care of for you.

- Merg

Edit: Dang it VOS!

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

so at the router in the office I can do like dwcolvin pictured here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468

then the DECA module in the master bedroom
obviously no dlink bridges needed anymore except the guest bedroom, which as I mentioned I don't care if it's part of it or not.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

I think it's time for me to simply let this go.
There are "right ways" and there are "other ways" which will work.
Good luck with your DIY setup.

Edit:

Taking a "fresh look" at the bottom setup:
I see the need for 4 DECAs.
This can be reduced. Any receiver you don't want in the DECA needs a bandstop filter.
The connection to the home network "could be" done by using a switch and sharing one DECA.

I hope this helps.

Edited by veryoldschool, 19 May 2010 - 10:21 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

I understand you frustration with all the ignorant people like myself. But I am trying to understand the "right way" then once I understand what that actually is and I do decide to order the upgrade from D* then I know what to expect the installers to accomplish when they come out. I'm guess I sorry I mentioned the DIY part, but in the back of my mind if equipment costs for me to do it the right way was going to be $50 vs the $150 to call D* I would think it's a no brainer.

In the mean time I believe a lightbulb struck me.
I think the design I was envisioning was the receivers themselves on the DECA cloud without Internet access.

So your "right way" would be:
a DECA module connected to the router in the office with Power Inserter
a DECA module connected to the HR20 in the office
a DECA module connected to the master bedroom HR20
and then if necessary another one for the guest bedroom HR20

but if the lightbulb was bright enough and I do actually understand this correctly now.
then... If I didn't want the receivers to have Internet access then I would not connect the DECA module to the router in the office. This of course prohibits me from VOD and any other internet functionality that the DVRs would use.

#7 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

I say bite the bullet like I did. Call DTV and let them handle it. DECA everything, even the guest bedroom. Its a flat rate cost, so nail it all.

(my guest room is where all the recordings from my non-DVR's go)

Keep it simple, as in "let them do it"
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

So your "right way" would be:
a DECA module connected to the router in the office with Power Inserter
a DECA module connected to the HR20 in the office
a DECA module connected to the master bedroom HR20
and then if necessary another one for the guest bedroom HR20

but if the lightbulb was bright enough and I do actually understand this correctly now.
then... If I didn't want the receivers to have Internet access then I would not connect the DECA module to the router in the office. This of course prohibits me from VOD and any other internet functionality that the DVRs would use.

I would say that is the "best", and I do understand "cost", so from this you can pare down this and reduce the functions & cost.
DirecTV was "smart enough" to price their upgrade so it becomes hard to beat/match by going DIY.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

yes it sounds like ordering from D* is the way to go, but again i was in the quest for knowledge and understanding too. As it seems the installers have limited understanding of putting these in then maybe I will wait a bit. I may do the call to activate MRV on my account using my existing home network. Then i'm assuming I can always call them later for the actual DECA equipment upgrade.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

I may do the call to activate MRV on my account using my existing home network. Then i'm assuming I can always call them later for the actual DECA equipment upgrade.

We don't yet know about how an upgrade could/would be done after the service has been added through our "backdoor loophole".
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

this would be interesting information to know.
also if ordering additional receivers in the future to 'add on' would directv send addtional DECA units assuming your new receiver isnt an HR24 or H24

#12 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

also if ordering additional receivers in the future to 'add on' would directv send addtional DECA units assuming your new receiver isnt an HR24 or H24

I would have to assume that once you pay for a "whole home" upgrade they would have to provide DECA's for any new equipment that requires them, but its a great point to bring up.
Barry
MY SETUP

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

You're starting to see "the problem".
This comes down to the DirecTV system programing.
The backdoor sets the flag to "u" [unsupported].
The "frontdoor" sets this to "y" and this denotes you have a connected home network, which then means any replacement or addition needs to be compatible [hence DECA].

Anybody starting to see the "pluses" to going with the DECA upgrade from DirecTV?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

You're starting to see "the problem".
This comes down to the DirecTV system programing.
The backdoor sets the flag to "u" [unsupported].
The "frontdoor" sets this to "y" and this denotes you have a connected home network, which then means any replacement or addition needs to be compatible [hence DECA].

Anybody starting to see the "pluses" to going with the DECA upgrade from DirecTV?

I know I got it right in my face yesterday. Installer showed up with a SWM16 (much to my surprise) (once DirecTV let them know I had 12 tuners to hook up).

Included in my $149 was: SWM16 +Pi, and 5 DECA's all hooked up by two fantastic installers. I consider that a deal.
Barry
MY SETUP

#15 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

I know I got it right in my face yesterday. Installer showed up with a SWM16 (much to my surprise) (once DirecTV let them know I had 12 tuners to hook up).

Included in my $149 was: SWM16 +Pi, and 5 DECA's all hooked up by two fantastic installers. I consider that a deal.

Same here, except it was one awesome installer and an extremely helpful supervisor on the phone.

#16 OFFLINE   jspiewak

jspiewak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I updated my attachment to show the proper installation. In hopes it may help other people. And also to note if you wanted your receivers on a DECA cloud without the need for them to have internet access then the DECA module attached to the router is not necessary. But you are gonna get it anyway as part of the upgrade package from D* so why not.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

I updated my attachment to show the proper installation. In hopes it may help other people. And also to note if you wanted your receivers on a DECA cloud without the need for them to have internet access then the DECA module attached to the router is not necessary. But you are gonna get it anyway as part of the upgrade package from D* so why not.

Looks good.
The SWiM PI and go anywhere and doesn't need to be where you've shown it.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd upgrade

spam firewall