Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is HD install required before MRV?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

I have a standard Tivo DVR and standard receiver. I was told by a DirecTV rep that an HD DVR & receiver must be in place before an order can be placed for MRV. I want the HD stuff, but it seems odd that they would require 2 installs instead of doing it all at the same time. Does anyone know if this is accurate? Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

D*'s system probably doesn't let them create an order for Connected Home if the account doesn't have supported receivers/DVRs. In reality, you should be able to schedule both orders to be installed by the same installer at the same time. It will just show as two separate orders on your account.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#3 OFFLINE   fiendz666

fiendz666

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

From what I understand, you have to have HD and DVR service before you can order MRV. I'm assuming if you're upgrading to HD, that would be one install and then a separate install for MRV. In other words, I don't think they will bundle both installs into the price for MRV. Probably 2 different charges.

Some of the others more knowledgable on this can give you a better response.

#4 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

From what I understand, you have to have HD and DVR service before you can order MRV. I'm assuming if you're upgrading to HD, that would be one install and then a separate install for MRV. In other words, I don't think they will bundle both installs into the price for MRV. Probably 2 different charges.

Some of the others more knowledgable on this can give you a better response.

I only had one box on my account (HD DVR) and did mover's connection adding boxes. They told me I absolutely could not schedule MRV install until I had 2 boxes activated. The installer came today showed up today and asked about the instructions on my install (I asked for HR24s and H24s) and I told him I was going to order the MRV as soon as he left as they would not let me order it before. He said he could do that install as he set up the rest of it today and that was actually the only way I could get the H24s. They only charged me $25 for the MRV install and it sounds like I should be getting the new boxes.

#5 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

Jared,

Do you mean that they did the install or just scheduled it with the MRV also scheduled at the same time? You said you thought that means you might get the Hx24s. That sounds like you don't have them yet. Also, are they charging you for the hardware upgrade or just that $25 for MRV?

#6 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

D*'s system probably doesn't let them create an order for Connected Home if the account doesn't have supported receivers/DVRs. In reality, you should be able to schedule both orders to be installed by the same installer at the same time. It will just show as two separate orders on your account.

I only have sd equipment and called yesterday to order MRV. They basically said I need everything!
I am getting 3 HD DVRs to replace two old sd dvrs and new dish and whole home set up with internet.
It is all on one order.
Hoping to receive hr24s but will be happy with what I get.
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

#7 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

I only have sd equipment and called yesterday to order MRV. They basically said I need everything!
I am getting 3 HD DVRs to replace two old sd dvrs and new dish and whole home set up with internet.
It is all on one order.
Hoping to receive hr24s but will be happy with what I get.

How much did they charge for that full setup?

#8 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Jared,

Do you mean that they did the install or just scheduled it with the MRV also scheduled at the same time? You said you thought that means you might get the Hx24s. That sounds like you don't have them yet. Also, are they charging you for the hardware upgrade or just that $25 for MRV?

They did the install. It wasn't over so I wasn't 100% positive about the HR24 and H24. I did receive them. I was adding new receivers, not upgrading old ones. I paid for the receivers and they gave me one deca and did the install for $25. The installer did not know how to connect it into my home network though so I'm having to call again and see what I can get now.

#9 OFFLINE   bww

bww

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

How much did they charge for that full setup?

It was $298 then tax and handling made it $348. I have been a customer since the 90s and this is really the first equipment I have gotten from Directv.
Genie HR44-500, C41-700, HR24-500, GenieGo, SWM8, WholeHome + Internet, 1 AM21

spam firewall