Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Palladia commercials

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

Are all concerts on Palladia riddled with commercials, or were they added just during the free preview period?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Are all concerts on Palladia riddled with commercials, or were they added just during the free preview period?

Free preview? DirecTV has nothing to do with the commercials. Palladia controls their own content and they generate revenue from those commercials.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   grizbear

grizbear

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

reber1b--Yep, filled with commercials--just another of the extra $10 HD channels; such a value. I trust this answer is not as pompous as the previous one.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

reber1b--Yep, filled with commercials--just another of the extra $10 HD channels; such a value. I trust this answer is not as pompous as the previous one.

Facts are now pompous? :rolleyes: The commercials have nothing to do with their cost to you or the programming package they belong to. It is more a value now than it was yesterday due to the inclusion of an additional channel. These are HD only channels...exclusive. HDNet Movies alone makes the package worth the asking price.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Those hd channels are $5/month, not $10.

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Last I knew it was still $5.00, an even better value as of today.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the brief and factual answer. The previous reply was not only pompous but failed to answer my simple question. I was all set to sign up for the HD Extra pack until I discovered the truth. They didn't even have the decency to respect James Taylor.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the brief and factual answer. The previous reply was not only pompous but failed to answer my simple question. I was all set to sign up for the HD Extra pack until I discovered the truth. They didn't even have the decency to respect James Taylor.

...just forget it. You don't get. There is nothing pompous about answering your question with facts. I have absolutely no idea why you expected this channel to be without commercial interruption.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

A touch of irony, as the answer veered off the factual course before the completion of the first sentence.

As someone else pointed out above the HD extra pack that Palladia resides in is not 10 dollars,but five.:lol: Not realistic at all to expect Palladia to be commercial free at all. Name another Music Video Channel that isn't loaded with commercials. Understandable since it is a main source of revenue for Video music channels since the sub rate is very low.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#10 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

There is an HD VOD from HDNet. 2 hrs of JT "unplugged". Very enjoyable for us older folks.

#11 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

A touch of irony, as the answer veered off the factual course before the completion of the first sentence.

As someone else pointed out above the HD extra pack that Palladia resides in is not 10 dollars,but five.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
DTV = Digital Television

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

The truth? Did you think there was a conspiracy put in place by Directv to over take feeds and interject commercials only during free previews? Then, once they get your $5, they would stop? Now, you do realize commercials help earn money to buy rights to air concerts like that James Taylor one, right? Maybe to give James Taylor true respect, his fans, like you, would sub to HD Extra to help pay Mr. Taylor better furnish his home in the Town of Washington, Massachusetts in Berkshire County.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Name another Music Video Channel that isn't loaded with commercials.

Not really a direct comparison but HDNET plays their music concerts commercial free. Music is only a small part of their programming though. Commercials during any show is undesired, but concerts are listened to louder than most programming. When Palladia kicks in those ultraloud commercials of crows flying around? all my neighbors can hear my subwoofer and get pissed. Frankly so do my ears! I have to babysit the remote to mute the sound quickly but I do enjoy the audio quality of their music. Hdnet has much less music but I can relax during the whole concert.

#14 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

That channel is a part of the HD-only pack (meaning there are no SD feeds of those channels). For $5 a month you get those HD-only channels (560-567). They are regular channels with commercials, not pay channels like HBO and Showtime. The reason they do this is so those that only subscribe to SD don't have to pay for channels they don't get.

Btw, when cable advertises free HD for all subscribers, all they are really saying is everyone pays for HD, whether they subscribe to it or not.

#15 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Respect for the wife beater James Taylor? Really???

It's $4.99 for the package. And yes, they have commericals.

Btw, when cable advertises free HD for all subscribers, all they are really saying is everyone pays for HD, whether they subscribe to it or not.

Kind of looking forward to the day when D does this. Tired of paying extra so others can remain in the 20th century. I say cut 'em off.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

James Taylor? Really???

It's $4.99 for the package. And yes, they have commericals.

Hey, Fire & Rain is a great song. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

I'm not so sure about that...
DTV = Digital Television

#18 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I think you have James Taylor confused with Jackson Browne.

#19 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

Palladia commercials are far and few in between. I record most everything so just skip through the commercials. I think the HD extra pack is well worth 5 dollars.

#20 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

I think you have James Taylor confused with Jackson Browne.

Tell that to Carly Simon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...