Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Palladia commercials

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Tell that to Carly Simon.

Carly Simon said that there were no such issues between the two of them. That one particular song she wrote about it...wasn't about him.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Perhaps. Maybe he's not a wife-beater ..... but if he knew about all these commercials during his Palladia concerts, he'd probably become one.

:lol:

#23 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

That channel is a part of the HD-only pack (meaning there are no SD feeds of those channels). For $5 a month you get those HD-only channels (560-567). They are regular channels with commercials, not pay channels like HBO and Showtime. The reason they do this is so those that only subscribe to SD don't have to pay for channels they don't get.

Btw, when cable advertises free HD for all subscribers, all they are really saying is everyone pays for HD, whether they subscribe to it or not.

DirecTV's party line regurgitated perfectly, as fact. Just like how the airlines HAD to charge us extra for baggage because of the high cost of fuel but then, when fuel prices plummeted, surprise, surprise the baggage fees stayed, and even increased. Now, consumers just accept the extra cost and the airlines will continue to see how much nickel and dime-ing they can get away before people just stop flying. (Interestingly, studies have found that a $35 bag fee is acceptable, while charging $2 for a can of in-air soda is not. People are strange and/or stupid.)

Look, the reason DirecTV charges extra for these channels is because they can. It's not a service for those that only subscribe to SD. If they could charge an SD-only fee and they didn't think customers would revolt, they'd do that too.

It really has very little to do with the channels, or the cost to DirecTV to get them—it's a profit-motive, pure and simple. We, as subscribers, have allowed and accepted it. If, when they introduced these tier, subscribers had left, or even threatened to leave, in droves, they would have nixed the cost, ASAP. But, instead, enough ponied up ("it's just $5") and DirecTV adds another zero or two to their quarterly profits and they learn they can push customer's cost thresholds ever higher, incrementally, and it won't really effect their subscription rate. It's a win-win ... for DirecTV I mean. The consumers? Not so much.

#24 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

"it's a profit-motive, pure and simple"

Of course it is. But is that wrong?

#25 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

susanandmark, come on now. The $5 is a fee for a service, not a political statement. Pay your money if you want it. If not, don't.

This is no different than in the past. For all my life, national parks have charged more for camping than a day visit. For years, many state colleges have charged by the credit. I paid library fines back in the 1960s for the use of a book for a few more days past it was due. Full service gas has always cost more than self service.

This may be annoying. The increasing use of fees in our society may be a trend neither of us like. But it is hardly worth storming the barricades over.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

DirecTV's party line regurgitated perfectly, as fact. Just like how the airlines HAD to charge us extra for baggage because of the high cost of fuel but then, when fuel prices plummeted, surprise, surprise the baggage fees stayed, and even increased. Now, consumers just accept the extra cost and the airlines will continue to see how much nickel and dime-ing they can get away before people just stop flying. (Interestingly, studies have found that a $35 bag fee is acceptable, while charging $2 for a can of in-air soda is not. People are strange and/or stupid.)

Look, the reason DirecTV charges extra for these channels is because they can. It's not a service for those that only subscribe to SD. If they could charge an SD-only fee and they didn't think customers would revolt, they'd do that too.

It really has very little to do with the channels, or the cost to DirecTV to get them—it's a profit-motive, pure and simple. We, as subscribers, have allowed and accepted it. If, when they introduced these tier, subscribers had left, or even threatened to leave, in droves, they would have nixed the cost, ASAP. But, instead, enough ponied up ("it's just $5") and DirecTV adds another zero or two to their quarterly profits and they learn they can push customer's cost thresholds ever higher, incrementally, and it won't really effect their subscription rate. It's a win-win ... for DirecTV I mean. The consumers? Not so much.

Preach on....:rolleyes:

It's $5 for a package of HD-only channels. Subscribe or don't subscribe. Pay or don't pay. They run their business the way they want to. Your only choices in the matter are which of their services you choose to subscribe to or whether or not you want to pay for their services at all. Business are in the business of making money...I guess that is a big shocker to you. Your contract is almost up either way. Good luck.
DTV = Digital Television

#27 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

"it's a profit-motive, pure and simple"

Of course it is. But is that wrong?

Nope, not really. But presenting it as a "service" to SD customers is just corporate B.S. and that, I think, needs to be called out. If those 5 (or 6, or whatever) HD channels were added to the main package DirecTV's wouldn't need to charge HD or SD customers a penny more to still be a very, very profitable company.

It's not a service, it's a profit-grubbing fee. Period.

Either you offer HD channels--which we already pay more for, unlike MOST content providers--or you don't. The idea that DirecTV has an "everything" premium you supposedly get it all package that leaves out these five random channels is, to this one customer anyway, where it goes for from paying to a service to galling.

#28 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Nope, not really. But presenting it as a "service" to SD customers is just corporate B.S. and that, I think, needs to be called out. If those 5 (or 6, or whatever) HD channels were added to the main package DirecTV's wouldn't need to charge HD or SD customers a penny more to still be a very, very profitable company.

It's not a service, it's a profit-grubbing fee. Period.

Either you offer HD channels--which we already pay more for, unlike MOST content providers--or you don't. The idea that DirecTV has an "everything" premium you supposedly get it all package that leaves out these five random channels is, to this one customer anyway, where it goes for from paying to a service to galling.

You seem to be under the false assumption that most other providers don't charge extra for HD. Guess what...they do. They just aren't as honest about it. They roll that fee right into another access fee.

The HD Extra Pack is part of the "everything" Premium package. If you don't subscribe to the Premium programming package, but you want the channels in the HD Extra Pack...subscribe to the package for $5.

Either pay your ETF or wait out the end of your contract and choose a different provider. DirecTV has chosen to place these exclusive channels in a separate package whether you like it or not.
DTV = Digital Television

#29 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

If those 5 (or 6, or whatever) HD channels were added to the main package DirecTV's wouldn't need to charge HD or SD customers a penny more to still be a very, very profitable company.

True. But they'd be less profitable by giving them away. If a company can charge for a particular service/item/package .... and if people are willing to pay for it ..... seems like all discussion is moot. They do what they want, and we get to choose whether or not we participate. I wouldn't call them "money grubbing". They are just trying to maximize profits, which is what most successful businesses do.

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

Companies make money. We encourage such things in this country.
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Preach on....:rolleyes:

It's $5 for a package of HD-only channels. Subscribe or don't subscribe. Pay or don't pay. They run their business the way they want to. Your only choices in the matter are which of their services you choose to subscribe to or whether or not you want to pay for their services at all. Business are in the business of making money...I guess that is a big shocker to you. Your contract is almost up either way. Good luck.

+1

In the case of the poster the above reply is in regards toward, I would switch immediately,ETF's be damned.
Choice of TV providers should not cause the level of angst or bitterness that seems to seep through the screen in seemingly every post.

Edited by davidatl14, 20 May 2010 - 09:56 AM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#32 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

MGMHD and some of the others run very limited commercials. Palladia is pretty limited as well, though they are still there.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#33 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Are all concerts on Palladia riddled with commercials, or were they added just during the free preview period?

There are ads everyday. Which leads to this question. Why pay $5 extra monthly for channels with commercials?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

There are ads everyday. Which leads to this question. Why pay $5 extra monthly for channels with commercials?

...because the package they are in has absolutely nothing to do with the inclusion or exclusion of commercials. :rolleyes:

Why pay any amount of money for HD-Lite, multiple satellites on your property, a lack of access to popular sports packages, and excessive receiver fees?

Also, let's not forget that Dish Network offers a "Platinum" package for $10 with multiple channels which also show commercials.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

Life was so much simpler when everything was in SD. Either a provider carried a channel or it didn't. Now they have to negotiate and pay for two different feeds of many channels, and increase the bandwidth to carry it all. That means the cost goes up for all of us. I wish SD would go away so we could get back to the old model, but that's not going to happen for a very long time.

#36 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I'm in the midst of a 3-month free trial of the HD Extras channels. Watched Mad, Mad, Mad World on MGMHD, am watching Hogan's Heroes regularly on UHD(?), and have scheduled some recordings from Smithsonian channel. Commercials are not a problem, especially when recording.

There's a good possibility I'll keep the package when the trial ends in August.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#37 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

For me, it's very simple. I enjoy the programming. We pay for other channels that have commercials, so what's the difference? It's just a matter of whether or not you think the PROGRAMMING is worth $5/month and nothing to do with commercials.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#38 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

You seem to be under the false assumption that most other providers don't charge extra for HD. Guess what...they do. They just aren't as honest about it. They roll that fee right into another access fee.

The HD Extra Pack is part of the "everything" Premium package. If you don't subscribe to the Premium programming package, but you want the channels in the HD Extra Pack...subscribe to the package for $5.

Either pay your ETF or wait out the end of your contract and choose a different provider. DirecTV has chosen to place these exclusive channels in a separate package whether you like it or not.

I have the Premium package and have been paying for the HD Extra Pack since a free trail of the channels was given. I want the channels so I will pay for them. They are not a part of the Premium package they are just what they say they are "Extra".

Edited by Dolly, 21 May 2010 - 11:52 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   water1

water1

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

Speaking of commercials, or more accurately, the promos. I wish they would show an extended version of the crows and other creatures that I could record for a demo. I love to crank up volume since I don't have any pesky neighbors.
John

#40 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

I have the Premium package and have been paying for the HD Extra Pack since a free trail of the channels was given. I want the channels so I will pay for them. They are not a part of the Premium package they are just what they say they are "Extra".

Ditto. $5 additional fee, no matter what package you have.

I'm currently on a "free trial" (given, without asking, when I called to downgrade some receivers) of these channels. I don't think I'll continue. We may watch something once a year on HD NET Movies and Hallmark MAY come in handy come Christmas (I'm a sucker for cheesy holiday flicks) but otherwise these are channels I never watch so wouldn't pay for.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...