Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA install finished: No Internet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Just had a SWM/MRV/DECA install. Everything went ok except the DECA at my router continues to blink orange for Clink and the network one is blank. None of my receivers pass the internet connection anymore. I can not download from ON Demand.

This line had been run to my basement near the router in the past. I thought that it would be very simple since it was there but they couldn't get it to work.

They finally left and were quite annoyed and exasperated with the whole experience. They blamed it on my router, FIOS and everything else.

My networked receivers were all internet connected pre install with CAT 5.

The 18 PI is connected at the router. The line is run to the 8 port splitter connected to a SWMLNB. There are no filters in use.

I wonder what the problem is. What can I do now?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

Just had a SWM/MRV/DECA install. Everything went ok except the DECA at my router continues to blink orange for Clink and the network one is blank. None of my receivers pass the internet connection anymore. I can not download from ON Demand.

This line had been run to my basement near the router in the past. I thought that it would be very simple since it was there but they couldn't get it to work.

They finally left and were quite annoyed and exasperated with the whole experience. They blamed it on my router, FIOS and everything else.

The 18 PI is connected at the router. The line is run to the 8 port splitter connected to a SWMLNB. There are no filters in use.

Try a different patch cable at the router.

Try a different DECA at the router.

Try a different coax from the networked DECA to the splitter.

#3 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

I just just resnapped in the CAT 5 connection between the DECA and the router and that caused the network light to become faintly orange as well. I also plugged the PI into a surge protector instead of the wall but that had no effect.

#4 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

I would think there's only a couple of possibilities... the DECA is defective (and there haven't been reports of that), which you can prove/disprove by swapping it with one on a receiver or the coax doesn't really provide a solid connection to where you think it does (is there a receiver nearby that you can try its coax?)

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#5 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

Try a different patch cable at the router.

Try a different DECA at the router.

Try a different coax from the networked DECA to the splitter.

I tried another cable. They tried another DECA. What was strange as well is when they connected it to a coax supposedly not connected the splitter, it turned green. When they reconnected the correct one, it turned orange.

The coax run from the splitter goes from the flat roof, under the deck into the boiler room into the main part of the basement. I never had TV there but the line was run.

I woould try to split the coax somewhere and use a switch (located at a couple other receiver locations) but they didn't have a splitter.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

I assume you power cycled the DECA adapter? How about your router?

#7 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Do you have two Power Inserters? There should be one for the SWiM and one for the broadband DECA.

#8 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I would think there's only a couple of possibilities... the DECA is defective (and there haven't been reports of that), which you can prove/disprove by swapping it with one on a receiver or the coax doesn't really provide a solid connection to where you think it does (is there a receiver nearby that you can try its coax?)

There's no receiver by the router itself. I have switches near a couple others as I mentioned. Does Radio Shack sell a splitter I could use?

#9 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Do you have two Power Inserters? There should be one for the SWiM and one for the broadband DECA.

Yeah, the SWIM PI is in the living room and the DECA one is in the basement with router.

#10 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,828 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

I tried another cable. They tried another DECA. What was strange as well is when they connected it to a coax supposedly not connected the splitter, it turned green. When they reconnected the correct one, it turned orange.

The coax run from the splitter goes from the flat roof, under the deck into the boiler room into the main part of the basement. I never had TV there but the line was run.

I woould try to split the coax somewhere and use a switch (located at a couple other receiver locations) but they didn't have a splitter.

Did you try another patch cable or coax cable?

So, it was green with another cable, but not the right cable?

Maybe try t o put new ends on the coax that is in use :shrug:

#11 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

I assume you power cycled the DECA adapter? How about your router?

Many times each. The installers were grabbing my internet cable out of the router at one point. I lost the connection. They were totally overwhelmed.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

As suggested, the easiest check is to swap the DECA with one of your other ones to see if the DECA itself is defective.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Did you try another patch cable or coax cable?

So, it was green with another cable, but not the right cable?

Maybe try t o put new ends on the coax that is in use :shrug:

I don't know how to change the ends.

#14 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

As suggested, the easiest check is to swap the DECA with one of your other ones to see if the DECA itself is defective.

- Merg

They did try two.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Do you have any Band Stop Filters installed? I believe you should with your HR20's. I believe someone did mention an issue with their Internet the location of the Band Stop Filters before (or maybe it was an issue with 771 errors, I can't remember off-hand).

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

There's no receiver by the router itself. I have switches near a couple others as I mentioned. Does Radio Shack sell a splitter I could use?

I don't think RS sells a suitable splitter (certainly not a DECA-certified splitter).

You could try moving a receiver to where the Broadband DECA is and see if it sees the satellite on the coax (it probably won't).

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Do you have multiple coax runs to the receiver locations or just a single coax?

If multiple, you could simply swap that second coax over to the port on the 8-way and put the DECA near your receiver.

If a single, you could pull the coax off of one of the receivers and at least test the PI + DECA to make sure it works with your other receivers. That will tell you if it's the coax that is bad or not.

Additionally, are the open outputs on the 8-way terminated or floating?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Oh, one other test may be to power off the HR20-100 and see if everything else works with it off of the line. Some folks have had issues with the HR20-100 and it's not entirely clear why that is.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#19 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

Do you have any Band Stop Filters installed? I believe you should with your HR20's. I believe someone did mention an issue with their Internet the location of the Band Stop Filters before (or maybe it was an issue with 771 errors, I can't remember off-hand).

- Merg

No the HR20-700 doesn't have one. My HR20-100 was replaced with an HR24.

I don't think RS sells a suitable splitter (certainly not a DECA-certified splitter).

You could try moving a receiver to where the Broadband DECA is and see if it sees the satellite on the coax (it probably won't).

Maybe I'll order one from Solid signal or something like that.

Do you have multiple coax runs to the receiver locations or just a single coax?

If multiple, you could simply swap that second coax over to the port on the 8-way and put the DECA near your receiver.

If a single, you could pull the coax off of one of the receivers and at least test the PI + DECA to make sure it works with your other receivers. That will tell you if it's the coax that is bad or not.

Additionally, are the open outputs on the 8-way terminated or floating?

I had multiple runs to 3 DVR spots but I believe only 1 line is connected from each of those spots now. I figured they had 4 lines connected at the splitter plus the one for the router. I don't know what they did with other ports on the splitter. I'll try to look in the daylight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

#20 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

I had multiple runs to 3 DVR spots but I believe only 1 line is connected from each of those spots now. I figured they had 4 lines connected at the splitter plus the one for the router. I don't know what they did with other ports on the splitter. I'll try to look in the daylight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ah, so not so easy to get to perhaps .. That does complicate it slightly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...