Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

"unapproved" network connection works

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Variation on a theme:

For internet connection:
Instead of connecting the DECA module to the switch, my installer connected from the DECA module to the HR-22 (both coax and ethernet port 1). He then ran an ethernet cable from port 2 of the HR22 to the switch. I questioned this but he said it would work, and IT DOES!!
This eliminated the need for yet another dongle and power inserter behind the a/v cabinet.

I will post this as a separate thread for others' information.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

Variation on a theme:

For internet connection:
Instead of connecting the DECA module to the switch, my installer connected from the DECA module to the HR-22 (both coax and ethernet port 1). He then ran an ethernet cable from port 2 of the HR22 to the switch. I questioned this but he said it would work, and IT DOES!!
This eliminated the need for yet another dongle and power inserter behind the a/v cabinet.

You don't want to do this! And an installer had absolutely no business doing it.

The HR22 isn't an Ethernet switch, and reportedly traffic across the Ethernet ports will affect the DVR performance. While it will function, it's definitely not a good idea. :eek2:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

Variation on a theme:

For internet connection:

This is BAD! This is not the proper way to connect the HR22 and while it may work a lot of the time, you will find weird things happen from time to time. If you forget that it's connected in this way you may even think the problem is something else when in reality it's exactly this configuration that you have running.

My recommendation is to NEVER use the receiver as a bridge between two networks. The results are indeterminate and often problematic.

The installer should have left an additional DECA to connect you to the Internet. He should have never set it up the way he did.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Variation on a theme:

For internet connection:
Instead of connecting a DECA module and PI to the switch, my installer connected from a DECA module to the HR-22 (both coax and ethernet port 1). He then ran an ethernet cable from port 2 of the HR22 to the switch. I questioned this but he said it would work, and IT DOES!!

My installer has done several DECA jobs and didn't seem at all phased about doing the connection this way.

I have checked and all three dvrs are seen on Directv2pc and all network functions on all three work.

We tested this in the original DECA trial and it worked.

But......

If I remember right, this was frowned upon by Directv because it put too much of a strain on the internal switch of the receiver.

Maybe Tom R will chime in on this, because he relayed the info to us originally.

Edit: Doug beat me too it.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

If I remember right, this was frowned upon by Directv because it put too much of a strain on the internal switch of the receiver.

It's not just that .. I can promise you that at times, the network truly gets confused by this type of connection. It may be infrequent, but when it does happens, all sorts of weird things happen across the entire network (not just @ this STB). Will it destroy anything? probably not, but it will certainly make for an unhappy situation. Couple that with forgetting about this rogue connection and the "time to fix" just get's higher.

Again, this is the type of connection that should be avoided because of the potential for problems and the simplicity by which it is to do it the right way. This is a shortcut that could be bad news.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

It's not just that .. I can promise you that at times, the network truly gets confused by this type of connection. It may be infrequent, but when it does happens, all sorts of weird things happen across the entire network (not just @ this STB). Will it destroy anything? probably not, but it will certainly make for an unhappy situation. Couple that with forgetting about this rogue connection and the "time to fix" just get's higher.

Again, this is the type of connection that should be avoided because of the potential for problems and the simplicity by which it is to do it the right way. This is a shortcut that could be bad news.

I will tell you this has completely locked up my router many times.
Don't do this, from someone who has and knows why not to.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

Why did they put that stupid second port then? I have used it as a switch in a pinch but it just sucked...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

Why did they put that stupid second port then? I have used it as a switch in a pinch but it just sucked...

I don't think it's a problem for low end solutions. It's just not good for this application.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

I will tell you this has completely locked up my router many times.
Don't do this, from someone who has and knows why not to.

Yup .. I've seen the same thing.

#10 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

I am in one of the test markets and my installer left all my HR's connected this way. I didn't discover the problem until my HR24 told me about it on the info screen. I disconnected them all except one and it seems to work fine. How do I go about getting another adapter and PI?

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

I am in one of the test markets and my installer left all my HR's connected this way. I didn't discover the problem until my HR24 told me about it on the info screen. I disconnected them all except one and it seems to work fine. How do I go about getting another adapter and PI?

I'd call DirecTV since you've "just" [within 90 days] had your install.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Called D* this morning and they have set up a "priority" service call to correct the installation.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

I don't know, why is there a USB port on the front? Why do men have nipples?

Seriously, though, there are some design decisions which are made for reasons that we end users will never know.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   morphius2036

morphius2036

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

OK I am somewhat confused on the method of connection. I see all the drawings for how to connect by coax from the SWiM switch then with power to band-stop then a series of splitters to the DECA's in each room. Does this mean you have to daisy chain the boxes instead of all taping from the SWiM switch? Also I have a powered outlet connected to my HD DVR HR23-700, which is connected to a switch to the INTERNET, for the initial SWiM device. I want to get the least amount of equipment off-line and still have this work. I have three boxes but only two are the compatible, I don't care if the third works.

The reason I ask is because I already have 3/4's of the stuff needed for this but I have to pay a ridiculous amount to get this done professionally.

#15 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

OK I am somewhat confused on the method of connection. I see all the drawings for how to connect by coax from the SWiM switch then with power to band-stop then a series of splitters to the DECA's in each room. Does this mean you have to daisy chain the boxes instead of all taping from the SWiM switch? Also I have a powered outlet connected to my HD DVR HR23-700, which is connected to a switch to the INTERNET, for the initial SWiM device. I want to get the least amount of equipment off-line and still have this work. I have three boxes but only two are the compatible, I don't care if the third works.

The reason I ask is because I already have 3/4's of the stuff needed for this but I have to pay a ridiculous amount to get this done professionally.

If you have to ask, you should be letting D* do it (especially once they've figured it out). ;)

SWM boxes are connected just like they were before. If your receivers are all Ethernet connected, you don't need DECA (or SWM) at all for MRV. However it's connected you must have at least an HD DVR and a HD receiver for it to be enabled.

The complexities arise when you want boxes connected that don't have Ethernet connections, and you want to use DECA (which works really well). For that, you need SWM, a DECA adapter for the receiver, A DECA adapter and power supply for a bridge between DECA and Ethernet, (probably) a Band Stop filter between your SWM and the first splitter, and a Band Stop filter for every SWM receiver that doesn't have a DECA on it (or support DECA natively... i.e., Hx24).

When you start adding up the costs, the D* upgrade cost looks pretty good.

Edited by dwcolvin, 20 May 2010 - 12:23 PM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,671 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

I don't know, why is there a USB port on the front? Why do men have nipples?

Seriously, though, there are some design decisions which are made for reasons that we end users will never know.

If you go by the cable companies manual, "future expansion" that never actually arrives. Seems like the HR20-100 had it right, just not far enough. Instead of it not working, it should have been left out.

#17 OFFLINE   Monty23

Monty23

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Well they connected mine just like that yesterday to my HR23 and when viewing most stuff that was recorded on the HR23 you get pixelation and stuttering. Also, one of my printers on my network lost its connection right after that. I'm going to have them connect it up correctly with another DECA to my router.

#18 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Well they connected mine just like that yesterday to my HR23 and when viewing most stuff that was recorded on the HR23 you get pixelation and stuttering. Also, one of my printers on my network lost its connection right after that. I'm going to have them connect it up correctly with another DECA to my router.

Yup .. get them to fix this because your receiver should NOT be used as a bridge. These are some of the problems that will arise from it.

spam firewall