Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats with the Sonic channels

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

Why should D* give all of the music channels to every subscriber? If you want more music channels then get a better package. Why should someone paying $30 per month get the same music channels I get in the package I pay about $130 per month for?

Why not? Some cable providers already do so. The music channels are certainly not a bandwidth problem nor much of a financial drain to DirecTV.

Incidentally my DirecTV package is somewhere between that $30 and $130 per month.

What I'd really like to do is pick eight or so of the music channels -- my choice -- and forget all the others. Pretty sure that won't happen, which is why I'm suggesting all.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

Why not? Some cable providers already do so. The music channels are certainly not a bandwidth problem nor much of a financial drain to DirecTV.

Incidentally my DirecTV package is somewhere between that $30 and $130 per month.

What I'd really like to do is pick eight or so of the music channels -- my choice -- and forget all the others. Pretty sure that won't happen, which is why I'm suggesting all.

The more you pay, the more you get. Simple concept. :)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#23 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

The more you pay, the more you get. Simple concept. :)

My concept is even more simple. Give all subscribers all the music channels. I certainly don't want to pay $50 more each month just to get the Holiday music channel.

Let's see if Sonic Tap comes up with three Christmas music channels this December...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#24 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

My concept is even more simple. Give all subscribers all the music channels. I certainly don't want to pay $50 more each month just to get the Holiday music channel.

Let's see if Sonic Tap comes up with three Christmas music channels this December...

THat's what I'm hoping for as well. If those holiday channels aren't offered by Sonic, that's when I'd miss XM on DTV. I liked the choices that XM offered with the Christmas music, pop, traditional, and classical.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#25 OFFLINE   jstutman

jstutman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

The following Sonic Tap (DMX) music channels are on the 119 satellite:

807, 815,824,852, 853, 855, 861, 865, 870, 873, 876, 877, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884

These channels do not even show up in my guide. So we pay for these channels but D* saved a few $$$ by installing SL3 instead of SL5?

This would all be D* fault, as the installer does what it on his workorder, which from what I understand the "equipment" is picked from a program that D* uses based on what you ordered.....well does my package include these channels or not?

#26 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

About 27 of the music channels give me the message. None say "searching." I've got Total Choice grandfathered, whatever that means. Three phone calls to DirecTV failed to get me a list of what should be included in that old package, which of course is pre-Sonic Tap. I also understand why DirecTV got rid of the name "Total Choice" since total is misleading.:rolleyes:

DirecTV doesn't even have to offer "grandfathered" packages. They could just announce their new packages/pricing and convert existing packages to the similar equivalent. But they don't. However, they CAN do things to "nudge" people to upgrade like not letting you change your premiums online or not including new channels. Or they might even discontinue channels every now and then.

They also like to nudge people into upgrading their equipment to a leased box (and getting a new 2 year commitment). I still have an old legacy Hughes receiver on my account which uses the old program guide. Guess what? Know all those new Sonic Tap channels that were added (Familiar Favorites, Rat Pack, Classic Rock Workout, etc.)? Well, they don't appear on my Hughes receiver even though it gets the 101, 110, and 119 satellite. I called to inquire and was told I could upgrade for $50 and a two year commitment extension. No thank you but I don't complain about it.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#27 OFFLINE   rkish

rkish

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

I recently had a Slimline 5 replaced with a Slimline 3, as I (as well as others in my area) were having reception issues with the Slimline 5.

I noticed the missing Sonic Tap channels...the only one that I might pine for at some point, might be 850 (Jazz). Otherwise, I'd rather sacrifice (at least for now) a few music channels that I don't really listen to, so that my HD channels come through without issue.
"Reciprocity is the wellspring of friendship..."

#28 OFFLINE   Bud33

Bud33

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

[quote name='ThomasM']The following Sonic Tap (DMX) music channels are on the 119 satellite:

807, 815,824,852, 853, 855, 861, 865, 870, 873, 876, 877, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884

If you are getting "searching for satellite" while listening to any of these channels, you are having a problem getting an adequate signal from the 119 satellite. It has nothing to do with Sonic Tap and if you tried to watch any of the Spanish channels also sent over the 119, they would be intermittant also.
[QUOTE]

Strange!!!! Some of them I get fine, others I get Searching, and some don't even appear on my guide... I wish D* would get their act together.... For what I'm paying monthly, I would expect a LOT more.... Maybe Dish is the answer:mad:

#29 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

Strange!!!! Some of them I get fine, others I get Searching, and some don't even appear on my guide... I wish D* would get their act together.... For what I'm paying monthly, I would expect a LOT more.... Maybe Dish is the answer:mad:

When you ran your system test (I am assuming {hoping} you ran a system test before coming here to complain) what were the results? Are your signal strengths OK? When you checked D*'s website, do the Sonic channels listed for your package match what you are getting?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

spam firewall