Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Distance from DECA to receiver

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

If ethernet cable already exists for the receivers, can the DECA adapters be located close to the network demarkation point and the ethernet cables be removed from router/switch and connected to the DECA adapters?

If so, how long can the ethernet cable runs be?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,213 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

A typical 10BaseT (Cat5) run can be close to 300 feet (100 meters.)

But that kinda defeats the main purpose of DECA - using the coax.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

The DECA module has a short ethernet cable to connect to the DVRs, so it would declutter the back of my DVR if the module were located remotely. My router and sat lines are located in the same area in my basement, so this would be easy to connect. At least for my HR23. The HR20 is another matter.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

The DECA module has a short ethernet cable to connect to the DVRs, so it would declutter the back of my DVR if the module were located remotely. My router and sat lines are located in the same area in my basement, so this would be easy to connect. At least for my HR23. The HR20 is another matter.

Frankly it sounds like there is no reason to use DECA, if you're going to move all of them over to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'm hoping that the DECA solution will allow the DVRs to work together more smoothly. Currently, the playback is just fine, but the remote response is awful. This is between HR20 and HR23.

If it won't, then I'll just use my network as it is. Of course, I'll need to call DirecTV tomorow to get MRV reactivated. Hopefully, I'll get an CSR that know what's what.:)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

A typical 10BaseT (Cat5) run can be close to 300 feet (100 meters.)

But that kinda defeats the main purpose of DECA - using the coax.

Well the DECA is ethernet - just short ethernet cable. Having the DECA's in my rack will make it crowded. Having the DECA's close to my router and removing my cables that are currently plugged into a gigabit switch and plugging them into the DECA's would be simple. My concern had more to do with powering the DECA's from the receivers over 100 ft. away than the length of the ethernet cables.

Of course, my ethernet works perfectly now - just wondering how I could set it up if/when I decide to move to DECA.

spam firewall