Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Network to DECA

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Had MRV installed his morning, after installer left I realized MRV was still running off my home network. I disconnected the network cables from my HR21-700 and H23-600 (which were still plugged into the reciever) and now I get nothing. Any ideas because I need DECA as I learned through the BETA, my network can't handle HD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

You need to give us more information.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Had MRV BETA running prior to install HR21-700 and a H23-600. Installer came today to install DECA and SWM. He put adapters on the HR and H and the band stops on the D12s. Looked like it was working when he left but when I went to watch a 1080i show I realized the show was being fed through my home network and not the DECAs. I disconnected my cat5 cables from the back of the recievers and power cycled all recievers and the SWM. Now the recievers do not see each other

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Had MRV BETA running prior to install HR21-700 and a H23-600. Installer came today to install DECA and SWM. He put adapters on the HR and H and the band stops on the D12s. Looked like it was working when he left but when I went to watch a 1080i show I realized the show was being fed through my home network and not the DECAs. I disconnected my cat5 cables from the back of the recievers and power cycled all recievers and the SWM. Now the recievers do not see each other

Did he also add a DECA to bridge to your home network?
Check to see what the info screen shows for networking/internet.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

He did not install a bridge, I just got off the phone with the installer and he will be back tomorrow.. I will mention that

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

He did not install a bridge, I just got off the phone with the installer and he will be back tomorrow.. I will mention that

The router DHCP makes the setup much easier, but these may find each other over time since they default to IPs that should work.
you might try resetting the network defaults on each receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

You say you unplugged the network cable on the back of the DVR. Where is that cable going to? Is it connecting to the DECA adapter or to a network switch/router? You still need a network cable on the DVR, it should be plugged into the DECA adapter.

#8 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

I thought DECA was supposed to make it so I wouldn't need to have my recievers hooked up to my network. I don't care about that right now I just want to watch my recorded shows

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

I thought DECA was supposed to make it so I wouldn't need to have my recievers hooked up to my network. I don't care about that right now I just want to watch my recorded shows

Re-run the network setting and or reset them to the defaults.
What you're having problems with are the network settings that the router supplied.
The receivers are holding on to some of them and now you want them to go into the default settings so they can query the network and see what is out there.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

You're correct that for MRV the receivers don't need to be connected your home network. The DECAs are like splitters with an end of coax going to the receiver and a cat 5 end going into the receiver as well. This creates a "private" network between your units. Connecting a DECA to your router gives you the "internet" functions of 'on demand', Media Share and DirecTV2PC.

You said you realized it was being used through your home network. What brought you to that conclusion?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#11 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

That's correct, but an ethernet cable will still need to connect to the receiver (for non HX24 boxes) The other end of the ethernet cable will attach to the DECA dongle; this is normal configuration. Are you sure the ethernet cables you disconnected are part of your LAN and do not attach to the DECA dongle?

As the above poster asked, "what brought you to the conclusion that MRV was flowing over your home network?"
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Ok thank you all for you help, realized the problem was the installer didn't run the cat 5 from the DECA to the recievers.. all is well now

#13 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

realized the problem was the installer didn't run the cat 5 from the DECA to the recievers

Wow!

#14 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

Wow!

Double wow. :nono:

#15 OFFLINE   Dhouse900

Dhouse900

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

Double wow. :nono:

It get's better, tech shows up I tell him what happened and then ask about installing another DECA to bridge my internet and he tells me "Oh well that wasn't specified so the wherehouse didn't give me that part." He went on to say they only trained everyone on thursday on installing MRV and they said there would be training on a later date for the internet bridge.

Also there is no band stop filter before the splitter, they are hooked up to my SD reciever. The diagram I saw on solid signal shows a band stop filter between the PI and the splitter. Everything works fine so should I worry?

#16 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

It get's better, tech shows up I tell him what happened and then ask about installing another DECA to bridge my internet and he tells me "Oh well that wasn't specified so the wherehouse didn't give me that part." He went on to say they only trained everyone on thursday on installing MRV and they said there would be training on a later date for the internet bridge.

Also there is no band stop filter before the splitter, they are hooked up to my SD reciever. The diagram I saw on solid signal shows a band stop filter between the PI and the splitter. Everything works fine so should I worry?

The 'internet bridge' is just another DECA adapter with a power supply (either a PI-21 like is on your SWM LNB or a specific wall wart) attached to both your splitter and your Home Network. It should have been installed, you paid for it.

You don't need a Band Stop filter before the splitter if your SWM LNB is new (has a green sticker), but it won't hurt if one is there.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Did the CSR ask you if you use DirecTV on Demand when you placed the order? If they did and you answered yes, that is their cue to add an additional DECA onto the work order for Internet use. If you don't specify that you use DoD or they don't ask you, there's a good chance it will not get on the work order.

If that is the case, call DirecTV back up and get it corrected. They should take care of it for you.

The 'internet bridge' is just another DECA adapter with a power supply (either a PI-21 like is on your SWM LNB or a specific wall wart) attached to both your splitter and your Home Network. It should have been installed, you paid for it.

You don't need a Band Stop filter before the splitter if your SWM LNB is new (has a green sticker), but it won't hurt if one is there.

I thought that non DECA-supported receivers that are on a DECA enabled network need to have BSF's installed. Is that not the case?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#18 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

I did not get a DECA bridge when they did my install. When I asked about this I was told that they (my local installer) did not have them available at this time. Good thing I had my own, and I will be calling DirecTV back about this as the one that I have will be going in my motorhome.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#19 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

I thought that non DECA-supported receivers that are on a DECA enabled network need to have BSF's installed. Is that not the case?- Merg

Non-DECA receivers (SD or pre-Hx24 HD without a DECA adapter) on a DECA network absolutely need a Band Stop filter, preferably at the receiver Sat In (so it's obvious it's there). The Band Stop filter before the first splitter is to protect the SWM if it's not green label.

spam firewall