Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blu Ray with Netflix and WiFi

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

Personally...I think these are tough times to choose a Blu Ray player....especially if future-proofing is your goal.

There are so many choices....WIFI...download services....upconversion quality....internal hard disk options....3D compatibility....and so on...

The best approach is to narrow your top 2-3 "must have" capabilities, then research the best units with those items.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Right now you can get the Samsung BD-C6900 for $220 and it's a much better player than the S570 (it's a top pick from HomeTheater Magazine). Plus it's 3D capable for the future.

As does the S570

#23 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Right now you can get the Samsung BD-C6900 for $220 and it's a much better player than the S570 (it's a top pick from HomeTheater Magazine). Plus it's 3D capable for the future.

That highly-rated unit is likely the best choice as a solid performer which also offers some good future-proofing.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

I considered the top of the line Roku ($129 b/4 $20 discount online) which has HDMI as does the middle of the three models and the low end one does not. But I decided to go with the Sony S570 (Best Buy $218) because, with NetFlix, I can receive BluRay to play on the 42" :)

I think NetFlix only streams content in 720p. Don't understand how you get 1080p. Remember, I'm only talking about streaming content, not getting discs in the mail, which I do thru NetFlix. As far as I know, all providers only stream 720p. Has something changed?

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

I think NetFlix only streams content in 720p. Don't understand how you get 1080p. Remember, I'm only talking about streaming content, not getting discs in the mail, which I do thru NetFlix. As far as I know, all providers only stream 720p. Has something changed?

Rich

Yes,Rich, as of yet it is 720p.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

Yes,Rich, as of yet it is 720p.

I haven't read anything positive about NetFlix streaming anything but 720p. Keep seeing hopeful posts about it on the Roku forums, but nothing to give us hope that it will be coming soon. Roku just came out with radio channels, something I've been hoping to get.

I've got a feeling we've got a long wait until we see anything in 1080i or 1080p streaming. Perhaps if one of NetFlix competitors would do it first NetFlix would follow. Amazon only streams in 720p, also.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

The Sony BDPS-570 is a good choice, there is a 3D firmware available for it right now. The unit does a great job on the new Sony HX900 3D tv's.
The Samsung BDC-6500 is WiFi as is the 3D BDC-6900.

#28 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

The Sony BDPS-570 is a good choice, there is a 3D firmware available for it right now. The unit does a great job on the new Sony HX900 3D tv's.
The Samsung BDC-6500 is WiFi as is the 3D BDC-6900.

If you don't need WiFi, the Sony S470 will save you a little money. (It's exactly the same as the S570, but without the WiFi.)

I have the 570 hardwired, and love it. I've had no issues with it at all. My Netflix streaming looks good (as well as Netflix can given their limits today).

We owners of these two units (470 & 570) are anxiously awaiting this months update as it promises enhancements (among other things) to DNLA.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#29 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

If you don't need WiFi, the Sony S470 will save you a little money. (It's exactly the same as the S570, but without the WiFi.)

I have the 570 hardwired, and love it. I've had no issues with it at all. My Netflix streaming looks good (as well as Netflix can given their limits today).

We owners of these two units (470 & 570) are anxiously awaiting this months update as it promises enhancements (among other things) to DNLA.

The update is out, I updated a 570 at work the other day with a disk Sony sent me. A few days earlier I saw it on the Sony website, maybe its just not available for streaming yet.

Too bad I can not apply this update to my BDPS-550 :D

#30 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

The update is out, I updated a 570 at work the other day with a disk Sony sent me. A few days earlier I saw it on the Sony website, maybe its just not available for streaming yet.

Too bad I can not apply this update to my BDPS-550 :D

What is the DNLA?

#31 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

What is the DNLA?

Google is your friend... :D

http://www.dlna.org/...g/how_it_works/

#32 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

Google is your friend... :D

http://www.dlna.org/...g/how_it_works/

Ahhh. DLNA
:rolleyes:

#33 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

Ahhh. DLNA
:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

We live in a crazy world of too many acronyms....even those used by the dyslexic or fat fingers. :D

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

We live in a crazy world of too many acronyms....even those used by the dyslexic or fat fingers. :D

Hmm. More toys. Better toys. Toys that talk to each other. That's the upside. Gotta buy those toys and learn how to use them, that's the downside. :)

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

I had thought of that, but I don't want to pay $400 for a blu ray player.

look harder
they are not $400.00!!!!

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#36 OFFLINE   bcab17

bcab17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

I think someone mentioned 720p as the highest res for streaming...that may be so for Netflix, but someone told me that VUDU streams 1080p. If that's the case then I would consider a BD player that can stream VUDU content (LG does for sure, and I think Samsung does too, but I never see any mention of it in their advertised specs). I have no experience with any streaming yet...I'm just starting to research it.

That leads me to a basic home network question. My home theater is located in a place that makes an ethernet wired connection extremely difficult. So I've installed a wireless bridge, connected my DTV HD DVR via ethernet to the bridge, and have just started downloading a few DTV on Demand programs, and tried a few TV Apps. The download times are extremely long, and the apps are so slow to load. I must assume that when I add a new BD player, and look to start streaming HD content it will be similarly slow.

I've got the typical cable company broadband service (cable modem), and a wireless G router and bridge. My corless phones are on the 5G band, and our three laptops all have no internet connection problems throughout the house.

Which of the following options would make the most sense to try to rectify the super slow download/streaming speeds:

1) Switch to wireless N
2) Try Powerline adapters for a "wired" connection

Are the re any other things to try?

#37 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

I think someone mentioned 720p as the highest res for streaming...that may be so for Netflix, but someone told me that VUDU streams 1080p. If that's the case then I would consider a BD player that can stream VUDU content (LG does for sure, and I think Samsung does too, but I never see any mention of it in their advertised specs). I have no experience with any streaming yet...I'm just starting to research it.

That leads me to a basic home network question. My home theater is located in a place that makes an ethernet wired connection extremely difficult. So I've installed a wireless bridge, connected my DTV HD DVR via ethernet to the bridge, and have just started downloading a few DTV on Demand programs, and tried a few TV Apps. The download times are extremely long, and the apps are so slow to load. I must assume that when I add a new BD player, and look to start streaming HD content it will be similarly slow.

I've got the typical cable company broadband service (cable modem), and a wireless G router and bridge. My corless phones are on the 5G band, and our three laptops all have no internet connection problems throughout the house.

Which of the following options would make the most sense to try to rectify the super slow download/streaming speeds:

1) Switch to wireless N

Using TV Apps to gauge possible streaming speed may not be a valid test. Many of us with hard wired setups will experience varying degrees of success (speed) with TV Apps. The issue is on their end, not ours. It's the same with downloading VOD - I believe D*'s download speed is capped at times anyway. Streaming is an entirely different animal.

You already said that you know wireless 'N' or powerline adapters will not be as 'fast' as hard wired. Very true. The good news is that all you really need is 'fast enough' AND 'consistent' speed for streaming.

The 'consistent' piece is the key for HD streaming. The connection should not vary up and down in speed while watching.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict if either solution will be 'fast enough' or 'consistent' enough to work well for you. Your mileage will vary trying either solution because of too many factors to list here.

Here are the odds: Powerline may give you better results than wireless. (It also may not). But, if you want to try them one at a time, try that first.

Another thought I'm having is to suggest you hire someone to fish ethernet for you. Use the money you would spend on 'N' and/or powerline to do that. It seems that the rest of your wireless devices are working fine, so the wireless piece of your network doesn't really need an upgrade.

Good luck.

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

1) Switch to wireless N

I had a room that I thought would be damn near impossible to get an Ethernet wire into and I tried all the things you list to go wireless and they just don't work as well as a hard wire Ethernet connection. So I bit the bullet and found a way into my viewing room with an Ethernet wire. Can't beat the hard wire solution.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   bcab17

bcab17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

Using TV Apps to gauge possible streaming speed may not be a valid test. Many of us with hard wired setups will experience varying degrees of success (speed) with TV Apps. The issue is on their end, not ours. It's the same with downloading VOD - I believe D*'s download speed is capped at times anyway. Streaming is an entirely different animal.

You already said that you know wireless 'N' or powerline adapters will not be as 'fast' as hard wired. Very true. The good news is that all you really need is 'fast enough' AND 'consistent' speed for streaming.

The 'consistent' piece is the key for HD streaming. The connection should not vary up and down in speed while watching.

Unfortunately there is no way to predict if either solution will be 'fast enough' or 'consistent' enough to work well for you. Your mileage will vary trying either solution because of too many factors to list here.

Here are the odds: Powerline may give you better results than wireless. (It also may not). But, if you want to try them one at a time, try that first.

Another thought I'm having is to suggest you hire someone to fish ethernet for you. Use the money you would spend on 'N' and/or powerline to do that. It seems that the rest of your wireless devices are working fine, so the wireless piece of your network doesn't really need an upgrade.

Good luck.

Thank you. You make some excellent points, and since wireless N or Powerline options will cost from $100 to $150, it certainly makes sense to consider putting that money towards hiring someone to snake ethernet to my home theater. The question is who.

My guess is that custom home theater installers won't mess with such a small job (or they'll charge a premium to do it). Electricians snake wire all the time, but it seems like overkill to pay a certified electrician for this type of job. I wonder if alarm company installers might do this. BB's Geek Squad?

Any other suggestions for a "reasonably priced" installer?

#40 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

Thank you. You make some excellent points, and since wireless N or Powerline options will cost from $100 to $150, it certainly makes sense to consider putting that money towards hiring someone to snake ethernet to my home theater. The question is who.

My guess is that custom home theater installers won't mess with such a small job (or they'll charge a premium to do it). Electricians snake wire all the time, but it seems like overkill to pay a certified electrician for this type of job. I wonder if alarm company installers might do this. BB's Geek Squad?

Any other suggestions for a "reasonably priced" installer?

A 'friend of a friend', telephone guy or electrician. You just really need someone who has done it before, or you can watch this video:

For $100 you could get all the tools you'll need to do it yourself!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...