Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HELP with new home install and DECA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

I will appreciate all the input. you guys have helped me so much in the past.

This is my situation--- I had chinese drywall in florida, my builder replaced my home and i got to wire it up my way!!.

I utalized a central wire location in my house, and wired out to 7 different locations in the house for direct TV.. I want to have all HD/DVR's.. so that is 14 tunners.. I was going to purchase the SWM-16.... and wire it accordingly.. I have a5 LNB dish....

i recently heard of DECA, but totally dont understand it. I also wired CAT-6 to all locations as above.

I was not going to get all 7 tunners right off the get go. I currently have 2 HD/DVRs. HR-700 and a HR-23. I was going to start off with 3 HD/DVR's and add on in time.

What do you recomend that i do to get this installed and working with deca.??

Do i need to have dtv come out to the house for this, or is this something i can do..

What all does DECA allow me to be able to do.. and do i still need to utilize the CAT-6 that i ran..

thanks for the help....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,081 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

First off, DECA uses the RG6 for networking so your cat6 runs are unneeded for the DVRs. You can do it yourself, there are plenty of diagrams and instructions in the Connected Home forum, however with the promos running now it would be cheaper to let direcTV do it. One point, as you would only have 6 tuners now DirecTV will only install a SWM-8 as they dont futureproof. As to what DECA allows you to do, first off it is supported by DirecTV and second it is optimised for video distribution. That said, hardwired ethernet works just fine, I am just running my own network with flawless MRV

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

ok.. thanks that sounds good. I will look up some of the diagrams.. as a side note. If i dont use any ethernets, how can i get Dtv pay per view....

#4 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

ok.. thanks that sounds good. I will look up some of the diagrams.. as a side note. If i dont use any ethernets, how can i get Dtv pay per view....

Via DECA. A separate DECA adapter will bridge the receivers to your internet.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

I'm moving this to the Connected Home forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

where is connected home forum

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered