Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cursing not edited out of all channels in 5.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

We were watching Bad Santa on Comedy Central the other night. (I know, not much on) Throughout most of the movie, the rear channels of the 5.1 were used minimally, and the cursing (as it was on ComCentral) was edited out. But, when we got to a bathroom scene (there was an echo, because it was the bathroom) the rear channels kicked in, and while the cursing was edited on the front channels, the rear channels let out a resounding F@$&! :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MadManNBama

MadManNBama

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

actually, I watched a stand up comedy show a few months ago on CC and nothing was censored. I'm talking F bombs MF bombs and all. I think after a certian time (11pm) a cable channel can do what they want about speech content. Still working on the nudity though!

#3 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Late night stuff on Comedy Central tends to be uncensored. They even advertise it as such (they'll say it's a special late night uncensored showing of a movie or comedy special).

I've also heard (And FCC experts, correct me) that technically the FCC does not regulate the content of cable/satellite TV like they do broadcast TV. It's just that the networks self-impose standards on language/nudity/etc (or don't, like HBO/Showtime/etc). That's why you get F bombs bleeped out of MTV shows and what have you.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#4 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

As long as the rating on the show is correct in regards to the content, I could care less what they leave in. But if they list a show as having a certain TV rating, the content of the show should match the rating, including the commercials. Some of the cable channels are notorious for airing family shows in the middle of the night with commercials entirely inappropriate for the rating of the show.

Since DVRs are so prevalent, many people have no idea if the TV-G show they recorded aired at 3 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

There is no FCC regulation of cable channels. They all self regulate to placate sponsors. Comedy Central has special blocks late at night where they will have uncensored programming. They also relaxed the censorship rules a bit for South Park. A lot of the language on SP previously was never even considered to be on the table for 9PM.

#6 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

You even hear the "S" word on TNT on a lot of the 10PM shows (ever watch Saving Grace?). Frankly I don't know what the big deal is (as long at is is listed in ratings). I live across the street from an elementary school (K-6th !!) and when those kids come out of school at 3PM not only do some LOOK LIKE 16yrs old but they talk like them as well. The world has sure changed since my kids went there. :mad:

spam firewall