Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1194 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   dddeeds

dddeeds

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

I just called - spoke to a rep and asked for the network support group as I wanted to add whole house DVR with an unsupported network. She transferred me and I explained that I wanted to use an unsupported network and was part of the national pre-release program. He said that he has been helping many beta customers (his words, not mine), explained the $3 charge and lack of support, and then added the service. Was done in a little over 8 minutes. Receivers don't show it active yet, but website shows it on my account. He said may take a little bit for receivers to show it as active (I will be restarting them shortly). FWIW, I have Premier, HD, and am grandfathered into free lifetime DVR.

UPDATE: They all work now. :-)

I tried the first regular CSR that answered & I got the run around about upgrading my dish to SWM etc. I kept telling her about the unsupported mode and she put me on hold to check it out and I got disconnected, so I called back & tried the "I need to speak to the network support group" route and Sandra got me up and running in under 13 minutes including wait time with first CSR. (BTW:I thought ethernet/twisted pair wiring is more reliable than coax? Why the push for their networking being better on drops and frame freeze?)
Thanks HofstraJet! :)
Pretty sweet how far the DirecTV DVRs have come since they first came out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   rob316

rob316

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Just sent my email request as per Doug's instructions. lets see if it gets done.:)

Update, received a nice email this morning from D, all systems go with MRV, woo hoo.

#183 OFFLINE   Mikej0530

Mikej0530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

after many calls to the Directv CSR's I nearly gave up. I then listened to the advice on here and decided to email directv. Through email they gave me no trouble and emailed me back this morning to say that my MRV is active.

#184 OFFLINE   token

token

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

I was on Xtra +HDDVR legacy package and attempted to reactivate the Home DVR service last night via phone. After 4 calls to different reps (via retention/cancel service option) and over and hour of wasted time, I gave up and tried the email route.

This morning I didn't see any reply to the email so I changed my package online to a current package (net cost $1 more) and I tried calling again.

This CSR immediately asked if I was part of the beta to which I replied yes and that I wanted to go the unsupported option.
After a 5 minute sales pitch for the DECA upgrade he agreed to turn it on in unsupported mode. It took less than 10 minutes and didn't require a reboot on my DVR's.

All turned out well in the end but it sure felt like each rep was trying a very hard sell for the DECA and new receivers.

Good luck,
Token

#185 OFFLINE   newlinux

newlinux

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Took me 3 calls but I did finally get it enabled last night. When I got a CSR that knew what she was doing it took a 5 minute call and 5 minutes later it worked. two days ago I had called to order DECA (I have been using my home network, but I wanted to get another HD receiver in a place where my network isn't as good). I foolishly assumed that since I had ordered DECA they wouldn't turn off my MRV (my install isn't until next Friday). I thought about this yesterday, and sent emails and called and finally got a CSR with a clue (lots of arguing before then). While the other kept telling me I had to wait for DECA to be installed (one told me it will work with my home network, but only if I have SWim??? I know that's not true). I told her I just wanted to keep MRV on my home network working (unsopported mode) until the DECA installation happens. She said, she completely understood, put me on hold for a minute, got it working (said she had gotten lots of similar calls) and 5 minutes later MRV was back.

Now I'll get to compare MRV with DECA to my home network (GigE switches cat 5e/6 where my two current receivers are which with these machines having Fast ethernet connections should be plenty). Just curious if they done something special with the DECA network to enhance trick play features for streaming media.

#186 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Here is a question: If I activate the unsupported mode can I later get the $99 upgrade (+$49?).

#187 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

Here is a question: If I activate the unsupported mode can I later get the $99 upgrade (+$49?).

Good question. Ask 3 different CSR's and you will likely get at least 2 different answers.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#188 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Good question. Ask 3 different CSR's and you will likely get at least 2 different answers.

I was JUST told it would never be cheaper than doing it right now. So there is one answer.

Anyway, just called. Rep 1 said it was IMPOSSIBLE to do w/o DECA. Hung up and called back. Got Brian who said he knew exactly how to do it. He said he was a beta tester too. (He even read me the note CSR1 left on my account about how it was not possible w/o upgrade.)

He set the flag and then got stuck. He said they were having problems and it would take a day or two for the receivers to authorize. It still shows not available in my account (at direct.com). He would not budge on the SWM/DECA upgrade price and actually told me it was $150.

We will see.

#189 OFFLINE   lshank

lshank

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Any thoughts on non BETA customers getting unsupported MRV?

You can say you were part of the MRV Beta program and everything worked great. All this means is that you setup MRV on 2 or more of your networked DVR's during the BETA period
DirecTV does not track who enabled the MRV Beta on their DVR's. Call D and ask the CSR to TRANSFER you to the Network Group because you were part of the MRV Beta Program and you want to use MRV in the unsupported mode. The CSR will transfer you and then tell the Network Group the same thing. This worked for me just a few minutes ago (Less than 3 minutes on the phone!!). GOOD LUCK

#190 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Update, received a nice email this morning from D, all systems go with MRV, woo hoo.

I'm still waiting for the email reply. I wonder if sending a second one would help?
I'll wait until tonight (24 hrs since first email).
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#191 OFFLINE   lshank

lshank

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Doug, I really do appreciate everything you are doing to make it possible for us customers to enjoy MRV with an unsupported home network. Obviously, it is frustrating is to be told by CSRs that a method of using MRV that worked during the beta won't work. The other point of frustration is that the method for enabling unsupported MRV seems to be a moving target. But, I'm preaching to the choir.

I received both my new H23 receiver from DirecTV and my new splitter from Solid Signal in yesterday's FedEx delivery. I now have an HR21, an R22 (HD-enabled), and an H23 activated and working all fed from a SWM-8. My account shows all three receivers, Choice Xtra package with HD Access and DVR service. I tried the email approach last night about 10:30 EDT. So far, no response and my account still shows that I'm not eligible for Whole-Home DVR service.

Do you know if they are backed up processing these emails? How long should I wait before emailing again or calling?

Thank you.

I sent 2 e-mails yesterday without any response. So today I called D and asked the CSR to TRANSFER me to the Network Group because I was part of the MRV Beta Program and I wanted to re-activate MRV in the unsupported mode. The CSR gladly transferred me and then I told the Network Group the same thing. This worked for me just a few minutes ago (Less than 3 minutes on the phone with no questions about switches, packages, etc., only praise for being a loyal D customer and thanks for being part of the MRV BETA Program!!). GOOD LUCK

#192 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Had a good experience last night - but had to do some "coaching" of the CSR through the process.

To make it easier I had her upgrade me to Choice Extra plus HD plus DVR (to a current package) and told her I wanted the unsupported option. It took a little while for it to kick in on my boxes but it worked and I'm activated.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#193 OFFLINE   Circle909

Circle909

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

Okay, so called DTV CSR last night before I saw the new email guidelines from Doug. The CSR I got insisted it was impossible to add MRV without the DECA install, so I just hung up and then read about the email route. So, I sent the email as suggested by Doug yesterday around 7:00pm or so. Came to work this morning and no response. About 10:00am today, I tweeted to @DirecTV asking how long should I expect to wait for a response, received a tweet back about an hour later stating "@Circle909 Our team is working through emails now, as soon as we are able to process your request we will notify you by email."

Then just twenty minutes ago, received the following email:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please enable Whole Home DVR Service in unsupported mode

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Angeli C. - 100203398) - 05/21/2010 09:50 AM
Dear Mr. Malseed,

Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our loyal customers. I just want to let you know that we appreciate your business.

I understand your interest in taking advantage of the Whole-Home DVR Service. I notice that you have been a customer for many years. I'd like to thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer.

Per your request, I've already set the account attribute to "U" (unsupported) and added Whole-Home DVR Service to your account for $3 monthly. Because DIRECTV bills you for service at the start of your billing period, any changes you make mid month, such as adding a service, will show as partial month charges from the day you made the change to the end of the 30 day billing day period.

The changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on the "Activity Since Last Bill" section in the "Account Details" page.

However, please note that to enjoy the very best Whole-Home DVR Service experience, you must make use of our SWiM network. Without the upgrade, we will indeed be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service.

We strongly encourage you to take this upgrade offer. The upgrade is a substantial value and provides the very best, fully supported, Whole-Home DVR Service experience.

Lastly, I see that you may be eligible for a special programming or equipment offer. This offer is available for a limited time and only by calling us at 1-800-531-5000. Please call us at your convenience between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM to see what special offer is best for you.

Sincerely,

Marian C.
Employee ID 100203398
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

Customer (Raymond Malseed) - 05/20/2010 03:47 PM
I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill.

So, I think all is good, but need to verify when I get home tonight.

I want to give a HUGE thanks to Doug and all his hard work in helping us out.

#194 OFFLINE   alert5

alert5

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:21 AM

Sent the email yesterday and no response, so I called a CSR. She could not set the "U" switch but passed me to a tech named Luke. He set the flag with no problem and MRV is back!

Pretty painless routine process.

My setup for two HR23s was always on a 50 foot CAT5E direct connection that functions just fine.

Shortly after confirming MRV I checked my email and that response indicated they already new the flag had been set, so no further action was required.

My only concern now is when the next NR software update happens, MRV does not get messed up.

Thank you Luke.

#195 OFFLINE   suddenlyissoon

suddenlyissoon

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

Any thoughts on non BETA customers getting unsupported MRV?

Yes! I just did it!

I sent the email off earlier this morning and noticed I had a message from dTV in my mailbox a few minutes ago. I logged in to my slingbox and as soon as I entered the DVR list it popped up and told me that it had been activated.

As of right now I have not received anything from a CSR

Also, my bill auto-paid yesterday but my date is on the 25th. Adding the service today charged me an extra 1.68 that was not paid. Luckily I saw this but I'd hate to get a late charge over this!

#196 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

I received the email from DirecTV telling me that they have enabled MRV in unsupported mode. I checked my account and it still states that I'm "Not Eligible" and the DVR says "not Authorized" under the Multi-Room tab in System Setup.

Another email just came in and said that I need to upgrade to a current package to Choice or above. The problem is that my current package is CHOICE XTRA + HDDVR.

Please disregard my previous response. Upon further review, you have an expired package. In order to activate services for Whole-Home DVR, you will need to upgrade your package to a current package of CHOICE or above as your current package is no longer available. Package availability can be viewed at directv.com/packages or you may call us at 1-800-531-5000 to upgrade your packaging at any time.

Am I getting hung up because the HD DVR is grandfathered into the package?
We'll see how they respond to my asking what that problem is.

Edited by jdspencer, 21 May 2010 - 11:46 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#197 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

I received the email from DirecTV telling me that they have enabled MRV in unsupported mode. I checked my account and it still states that I'm "Not Eligible" and the DVR says "not Authorized" under the Multi-Room tab in System Setup.

Another email just came in and said that I need to upgrade to a current package to Choice or above. The problem is that my current package is CHOICE XTRA + HDDVR.

We'll see how they responde to my asking what that problem is.

Did you try a "refresh services"? It's on DirecTV.com, under "help", "tools". Can't hurt.
/steve

#198 OFFLINE   ahatten

ahatten

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

Here's an alternate method that has met with success as well ..

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

• Call 1-800-531-5000
  • Give Your Phone # when prompted
  • At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"
    At this point you should be connected to an agent
  • Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account
  • Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Connected Home upgrade screen
  • Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' and choose 'Create New'. 'Account Attibutes' is on the far right hand side of the screen that the CSR is looking at under the same drop down menu as 'Adding Services'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.
  • Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.
  • At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

Sometimes CSRs are having trouble finding 'Account Attributes' menu .. It's apparently on the far right hand side of the screen and hard to find. But once they get to this area, it usually goes smooth.

There have been a small number of CSRs that truly do not have access to this menu .. In this case the CSR may need to have authorization turned on first. This does not seem to be a rule, but more an exception.

Yet another method
(Source)

• Ask the CSR to go into the DORIS database
  • Pull up the article "Whole Home DVR Service"
  • Go to the link "Adding Whole Home DVR Service"

Caveats

Look at your statement, if your package is:

PLUS HD DVR Monthly

Most likely your statement should show this instead:

CHOICE XTRA Monthly
HD Access Monthly
DVR Access Monthly

The latter is $1/month more than the former, but the packages are otherwise the same thing.
Ask the CSR to use the instructions in DORIS in this case

THANK YOU SO MUCH, DOUG! I had received an e-mail back stating that I need to upgrade my package in order to get MRV. After having read your post, I called CSR and was not hassled and now have MRV added back. Woo hoo!
TV:
Sony KDS60A2000 60" 1080P
Satellite Dish:
Slimline 5 LNB dish
Receivers:
(2) HR20-700
Version 0x3a8
Sound Receiver:
Panasonic SA-XR50

#199 OFFLINE   NetRaider

NetRaider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I called and everything worked out in less than ten minutes. Five of which was a hard sell for DECA. He even offered several discounts and upgrades to try to get me to add DECA.

I called CS and after a couple of minutes of Sly and the Family Stone the rep picked up and I told him that I was a BETA MRV customer and wanted to speak with the Netwrok Group. He had never heard of MRV and was unfamiliar with Network Group. He looked up the extension and transferred me. The Network Group CS rep knew exactly what I wanted and after the five minute DECA sales pitch added unsupported MRV to my account. He said receivers should not take long to update.

I also asked about using a switch at a receiver DECA for other ethernet devices (tv, xbox, BD player, PS3). He said that the pass through ethernet port on the receiver could plug into a switch but did not know if there would be degradation or bandwidth issues.
NetRaider

#200 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH, DOUG! I had received an e-mail back stating that I need to upgrade my package in order to get MRV. After having read your post, I called CSR and was not hassled and now have MRV added back. Woo hoo!

So what package did you have, and what package do you have currently?
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

Protected By... spam firewall...And...