Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   jviter

jviter

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

So I emailed using the script on the first page, got a reply this morning saying that I needed to change by package (still use Total Choice). So I called got to talk to a really really great CSR. She had done 3 of these before mine. She updated my account, and sent a refresh to the receivers. It didn't take, so I restarted them, and now I am back up and running with MRV. I also got 3 months of Starz in the process.

This is one heck of a forum. Everyone on here is so top notch. Nice work everyone!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   SDimwit

SDimwit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

am on phone with CSR that is telling me DORIS is saying NOT to transfer me to network group...
I WANNA SCREAM

#203 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

Well looks like I lucked out. Just got a reply from DirecTV. I copy and pasted the script and added a thank you at the end. This is the reply I just got. Looks good! I'm at work right now so I can't check my DVR's (I guess I could check using my hava, but I'll just wait) but based I what I am reading I don't see there being any trouble. Awesome - thanks for the post - I will report back if there is any trouble.

Thanks for writing. I understand your interest in taking advantage of the Whole-Home DVR Service.

Per your advise, I've already set the account attribute to "U" (unsupported) and added Whole-Home DVR Service to your account for $3 monthly. Because DIRECTV bills you for service at the start of your billing period, any changes you make mid month, such as adding a service, will show as partial month charges from the day you made the change to the end of the 30 day billing day period.

The changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on the "Activity Since Last Bill" section in the "Account Details" page.

However, please note that to enjoy the very best Whole-Home DVR Service experience, you must make use of our SWiM network. Without the upgrade, we will indeed be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service.

We strongly encourage you to take this upgrade offer. The upgrade is a substantial value and provides the very best, fully supported, Whole-Home DVR Service experience. Once you've decided, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 to upgrade.

Sincerely,

XXXX X. - XXXXXXXXX
DIRECTV Customer Service

EDIT: I just checked it using my hava - it's working just fine - glad I didn't have to deal with stupid csr's. I did not have to refresh services btw.

Edited by Sim-X, 21 May 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#204 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

Did you try a "refresh services"? It's on DirecTV.com, under "help", "tools". Can't hurt.

Yes, didn't work.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#205 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

Well, it's good to know how to get MRV back, but I really don't think it is worth $3/month. It doesn't work that great and prudent programing on multiple DVRs eliminates the need for it anyway. If they make it better in the future, I may consider paying for it.

This is just another way for DTV to make a few more million each month. Tell me, what does it cost DTV to let us share recorded programs between STBs over our home network? What's next, charging for sharing media from our PCs, using APPS, or for general network access?

My Setup

#206 OFFLINE   SkersR1

SkersR1

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

Well looks like I lucked out. Just got a reply from DirecTV. I copy and pasted the script and added a thank you at the end. This is the reply I just got. Looks good! I'm at work right now so I can't check my DVR's (I guess I could check using my hava, but I'll just wait) but based I what I am reading I don't see there being any trouble. Awesome - thanks for the post - I will report back if there is any trouble.

Thanks for writing. I understand your interest in taking advantage of the Whole-Home DVR Service.

Per your advise, I've already set the account attribute to "U" (unsupported) and added Whole-Home DVR Service to your account for $3 monthly. Because DIRECTV bills you for service at the start of your billing period, any changes you make mid month, such as adding a service, will show as partial month charges from the day you made the change to the end of the 30 day billing day period.

The changes to your account will be reflected on your next DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on the "Activity Since Last Bill" section in the "Account Details" page.

However, please note that to enjoy the very best Whole-Home DVR Service experience, you must make use of our SWiM network. Without the upgrade, we will indeed be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service.

We strongly encourage you to take this upgrade offer. The upgrade is a substantial value and provides the very best, fully supported, Whole-Home DVR Service experience. Once you've decided, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 to upgrade.

Sincerely,

XXXX X. - XXXXXXXXX
DIRECTV Customer Service

Just got the same exact email. Maybe they are getting caught up on how to activate it.

#207 OFFLINE   osubeavs

osubeavs

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for writing. I notice that you have been a customer for many years. I'd
like to thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. I understand you're
concerned about adding the Whole-Home DVR Service to your DIRECTV account.

Per your request, I have added the Whole-Home DVR Service at $3.00 per month to
your account. Because DIRECTV bills you for service at the start of your billing
period, any changes you make mid month, such as adding a service, will show as
partial month charges from the day you made the change to the end of the 30 day
billing day period. The changes to your account will be reflected on your next
DIRECTV bill, or you can see them immediately by signing into your DIRECTV
account online at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on the "Activity Since Last
Bill" section in the "Account Details" page.

Please be advised that since you've added Whole-Home DVR Service without our
upgrade offer, we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting)
specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service. Also, adding this service doesn't
include DECAs and Band-Stop Filters nor receiver swaps.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for writing:D

#208 OFFLINE   new_2_hd

new_2_hd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

Yes, didn't work.

Have you tried resetting your receiver?

#209 OFFLINE   Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

Sent in my request for Unsupported MRV last night around 8PM. Got turned on a few minutes ago.

#210 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

I just got email from DirecTV. They say I must upgrade my package:

We will be happy to assist you with adding the Whole-Home DVR service to your account. I see that you currently have TOTAL CHOICE PLUS. Please know that DIRECTV no longer offers the programming package that you subscribe to and our systems do not allow customers to add or remove programming to an expired package.

In order to activate services for Whole-Home DVR, you will need to upgrade your package to a current package of CHOICE or above. You can compare our new packages and change to the one that suits you best at directv.com/packages. Once you're ready to make changes to your current programming, just sign in at directv.com/mydirectv and click on “My Programming” in the Programming section. You may call us at 1-800-531-5000 to upgrade your packaging at any time.

#211 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Do I really need to upgrade my package from Total Choice Plus to a current one or just call and try to get MRV reactivated that route?

#212 OFFLINE   mgavs

mgavs

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

Just got it done in 15 minutes, had total choice extra but HD was separate. I asked for networking support but got tech support. The first CSR was hesitant but once I was transferred the lady said this was her first but she got it done just fine. She stayed on the phone and sent a couple of resets but it took about 6 minutes for MRV to get authorized.

#213 OFFLINE   new_2_hd

new_2_hd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

Do I really need to upgrade my package from Total Choice Plus to a current one or just call and try to get MRV reactivated that route?

I have Total Choice Plus and got that same email twice, so I called this morning and got it taken care of in a few minutes without changing my package. My CSR knew exactly what to do. When prompted I said I needed help with Whole-Home DVR Service. That got me to the right department I guess. I told the guy I was a beta tester of MRV and had it working with my home network (not DECA). I said I wanted to activate it in the "unsupported" mode without any new equipment for the $3 a month. After reading this board, it seems some CSRs know how to do it, and some don't. I was prepared to keep calling this morning until I got someone who knew. I just got lucky and got it the first time.

#214 OFFLINE   ahatten

ahatten

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

So what package did you have, and what package do you have currently?

I have Total Choice Plus (grandfathered). I DID NOT have to change my package.
TV:
Sony KDS60A2000 60" 1080P
Satellite Dish:
Slimline 5 LNB dish
Receivers:
(2) HR20-700
Version 0x3a8
Sound Receiver:
Panasonic SA-XR50

#215 OFFLINE   GregAmy

GregAmy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

I received the same email. They want me to "upgrade" to a current package. <sigh>

Ditto. My email said:

"...you will need to upgrade your package to a current package of CHOICE or above as your current package is no longer available."

Yet my TV Package is "CHOICE XTRA + HD DVR".

So, CHOICE isn't CHOICE?

What a fustercluck.

#216 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

What a fustercluck.

+1
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#217 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

Well, it's good to know how to get MRV back, but I really don't think it is worth $3/month. It doesn't work that great and prudent programing on multiple DVRs eliminates the need for it anyway. If they make it better in the future, I may consider paying for it.

This is just another way for DTV to make a few more million each month. Tell me, what does it cost DTV to let us share recorded programs between STBs over our home network? What's next, charging for sharing media from our PCs, using APPS, or for general network access?

To be fair (and I was one who was really offended at the monthly charge), one does need to consider the considerable physical hardware, hardware development (engineering etc.) and software engineering costs. They must be paid for, period. No discussion, D* ain't a charity. There are two ways to pay for it...or really three. The costs have to be spread as far as possible to recover the investment as quickly as possible, without alienating any more customers than necessary.

1. Increase the price of all program packages, whether the consumer has MRV or not. (not only unfair, but alienates everybody)

2. Charge only those who require equipment and support. (fair but loss of $)

3. Charge everyone who wants MRV, period. (perhaps fair and enhances $)

I would have preferred option 2. The problem is, it loses a lot of revenue. If one assumes there are/will be perhaps 3,333 people in category 2 that need neither equipment nor support, that's a loss of $120,000 a year. In a five year plan to recover costs, that would be $600,000. That's a lot of money to ask stockholders to eat....and in perpetuity, to boot!

I understand the business decision, it just didn't sit well with me. When I thought more carefully about the cost of hardware, hardware development and software engineering, not to mention future support, it' struck me that it is not unreasonable to expect even those with their own networks to contribute to the recovery of software costs at the very least.

Nothing is free. The costs are either assigned transparently (as in this case), or hidden in the overall charges for other services. Someone has to pay, someone will pay, and there's no point in asserting that we shouldn't pay anything. One could argue for a reduced rate, perhaps $2.00 instead of $3.00 per month...but free?...there ain't no free lunch.

I know, I'm arguing against my own position when, after helping develop MRV in the CE program for many months, I was offended, if not outraged that I was going to be charged. The more I pulled back and looked at it as if I were an investor, the more I reflected on the REAL costs of getting this going and maintaining it, the less offended I became.

I had to finally admit that if I wanted to use MRV, I should expect to pay "something" for it. $3.00 a month no longer offends my sensibilities.

Now, since I've made my peace with paying for an unsupported, but extremely useful service (MRV), I have come to the conclusion that I should take advantage of the SWM/DECA upgrade. I think I can negotiate a fair price, and end up with a more sensitive system dish (SWM has AGC that compensates for about 15 dB of signal fading), more tuners (I'm one short at the moment with my stock 4 line system), and a better performing MRV system. If I can get the price right, I'm going SWM/DECA....and I'll get support too.

Hmmmm...that puts me on a funny, and ironic journey. I started extremely offended, if not outraged, moved on to 'it seems reasonable to charge "something"', leaving my outrage at the door, and ending up taking advantage of a better performing system.

What a trip!:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#218 OFFLINE   Gweeto

Gweeto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Sent an email at 4 yesterday afternoon and again at 11am this morning with no response. Finally gave up and called in expecting the worse. I got lucky and had an extremely nice and helpful person assist me. She said it seems that is all the calls she is going to get today. They did have to upgrade me to the newer 1 dollar a month more setup. Also, for some reason they could not add the 3 dollar charge without a manager override but 1 minute on hold and that was taken care of. All and all 10 minutes to get it activated and 5 minutes for me to test all the various receivers I have while they waited.

I think they may be getting the hang of it now.
Subscriber since 2000
Receivers: HR23-700, HR22-100, HR21-700, H21-100, HR10-250, Sony A65
Dish: Slimline 5LNB pole-mount
TVs: 46" Samsung 1080p 120 HZ LCD, Sony 60" LCD Projection, 32" Samsung LCD, a few randoms
Audio: Yamaha RX-V863, Pioneer 5.1 Receiver

#219 OFFLINE   mgmrick

mgmrick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for writing as it is always a pleasure to hear from one of our loyal DIRECTV customers. I would like to let you know that we appreciate your business.

I understand your concern about adding the Whole-Home DVR Service to your DIRECTV account.

To add the Whole-Home DVR service formerly called Multi-Room Viewing (MRV), you must have the following:

-DIRECTV Plus HD DVR (HR20 and higher)
-Whole-Home enabled HD or HD DVR Receiver for each additional TV sharing content -HD Access -DVR Service

I reviewed your account and found that you currently have an HR20 receiver and R22 receivers. Please be aware that R22 receivers do not meet the minimum hardware eligibility requirements for the Whole-Home DVR Upgrade you'll need another whole-Home enabled HD or HD DVR Receiver. Once the Whole-Home DVR service is activated on your account, your R22s will be able record, send, and receive shared content.

Additionally, upgrading to Whole-Home DVR Service requires the use of a connection (network) created with coaxial cable, DECAs, potential Band-Stop Filters, potential receiver swaps, and a SWiM install, which may include an entirely new dish. A professional installation is required to ensure that you have a connection (network) that performs optimally with all the correct equipment.

For further assistance in getting this service added in your account, please call us at 1-800-531-5000. You may also go to DIRECTV.com/WholeHome for more information.

So now I have to buy another dvr for mrv to work? I have one hr20 and 7r22. Worked just fine till beta ended

Edited by mgmrick, 21 May 2010 - 01:01 PM.
Adding comments

#220 OFFLINE   newlinux

newlinux

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Here is a question: If I activate the unsupported mode can I later get the $99 upgrade (+$49?).

That's what I'm doing. I have it activated in unsupported mode now, and next week I have DECA being installed (when I add another receiver where my networking isn't sufficient.)

spam firewall