Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

From my email today:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please enable Whole Home DVR Service in unsupported mode

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (E*******. - 100******) - 05/21/2010 10:05 AM Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for writing. I see that you have been a loyal DIRECTV customer for many years. We want you to know that we appreciate your business.

I understand that you're interested in adding the $3 Whole-Home DVR Service. I see that you currently have the PLUS HD DVR package. DIRECTV no longer offers the programming package that you subscribe to and our systems do not allow customers to add or remove programming to an expired package. In order to manage your programming online you'll need to change your programming to one of our current packages.

You can compare our new packages and change to the one that suits you best at directv.com/packages. We're confident that we have a basic package that will meet your needs.

Once you're ready to make changes to your current programming, just sign in at directv.com/mydirectv and click on “My Programming” in the Programming section. Once you have a current base package on your account, you can reply to this email to add the Whole-Home DVR Service.

Please note that if you switch your base package from PLUS HD DVR to a different one, we will no longer be able to reinstate this package on your account.

Thanks again for writing.

Looks like I need to change things. Never mind the fact I did change my programming last year to lower my bill.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

From my email today:

Looks like I need to change things. Never mind the fact I did change my programming last year to lower my bill.

you don't need to change things...they are LYING to you!!!!

#223 OFFLINE   cashoe

cashoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

Sent an email using script in 1st post at 11PM last night. Got my activation & email about 2PM today.
Illegitimati Non Carborundum

Whenever man strives to idiot-proof something they always underestimate nature's ability to make a better idiot.

#224 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

Well, it's good to know how to get MRV back, but I really don't think it is worth $3/month. It doesn't work that great and prudent programing on multiple DVRs eliminates the need for it anyway. If they make it better in the future, I may consider paying for it.

This is just another way for DTV to make a few more million each month. Tell me, what does it cost DTV to let us share recorded programs between STBs over our home network? What's next, charging for sharing media from our PCs, using APPS, or for general network access?

Since you are using your own home networking for MRV (well, were using), perhaps the reason that you say "It doesn't work that great" has more to do with your environment than DIRECTV. Most folks are getting great results with DECA ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#225 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

Sent an email using script in 1st post at 11PM last night. Got my activation & email about 2PM today.

Yay! ... Maybe, just maybe it's starting to come together.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#226 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

So now I have to buy another dvr for mrv to work? I have one hr20 and 7r22. Worked just fine till beta ended

It's not clear from your post .. 7 R22s or you have an HR22?

In any event, you need a minimum of 1 eligible HD DVR and 1 eligible HD Receiver. The latter is satisfied by a second eligible HD DVR.

The R22, unfortunately, is considered an SD DVR and NOT an HD DVR. If you really have one HR20 and 7 R22s, then you are one eligible HD Receiver away from the minimum requirements. Yeah, it sucks, but that is the benchmark that DIRECTV has set.

#227 OFFLINE   mgmrick

mgmrick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

My email did not work now I need to call and keep calling till I find A CSR that knows how to do it...urgh

#228 OFFLINE   beanpoppa

beanpoppa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Just got an email response that my grandfathered TC+ package can't be added to in any way, and I need to 'upgrade' to a current package as well. I would have been ok with them increasing my bill $3/mo for the service, but now they are forcing me to reevaluate my service with them. I am invested with 5 DVR's with them, so I'm unlikely to switch to FiOS right now, but with the amount of stuff we watch on Netflix now, this is a good opportunity for me to downgrade my package. Thanks, D*!

#229 OFFLINE   terster

terster

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi. I called at lunch and did exactly as told here.

I said that i was a beta tester for the multi-room and that last night this particular service was turned off.

I said that i understand that the service is unsupported and that it costs $3.00/mo and i'm ok with that.

I said, "I know this is a new service for you guys and i actually have the instructions on how to go into my account and turn this service back on, if you are still a bit unfamiliar with the process. I had this service last night and it was turned off, so all i need you to do is go in and turn it on, make it 'live'".

I then i asked the questions:

"Do you know how to go into the DORIS database?"
--- she said, "YES"
I said, "Pull up the article 'Whole Home DVR Service'"
--- she said, "Ok"
I said, "Go to the link "Adding Whole Home DVR Service, do you see it?"
--- she said, "I do and it says i need to verify you have the equipment..."

and after veritying i had the equipment, that i was a beta tester she put me on hold for a moment to get the help of a supervisor and came back and said, "Well, that was a lot easier than i thought. There's actually a check box that says, "LIVE" and all i had to do was check it and then do a "Save".

So i had her back out of my account and then go back in and violla... it saved and (pray) when i get home today, i should be back on.

So thanks very much for the information posted here.

My first call to DTV, prior to reading these forums... they wanted me to upgrade my programming from Total Choice to something else. They then wanted me to upgrade my HR21 DVR unit so that it's the same as my other HR22 Unit.

I complained that both units worked fine but she was insistant that my HR21 was not compatible and i'd have to upgrade for $99, but... she's allow me a one time credit back of $99 to offset the cost. There would also be a mandatory $49.95 install charge even though i can hook it up myself. OH YEAH, don't forget that i'd be starting a NEW 2 year contract to boot!

So, i was not happy, i started digging and found this forum... i called them over lunch and said exactly what was posted for the email contact... and the girl was awesome.

So again, thanks!

terster

Edited by terster, 21 May 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#230 OFFLINE   NetRaider

NetRaider

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Ask for Network Group!!!
NetRaider

#231 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

you don't need to change things...they are LYING to you!!!!

I have the PLUS HD DVR package...after getting no response on an email after 5 hours, and based on this post, I called in last night and talked to tech support...

She tried to upgrade me to a "multiswtich" and I said, "No I don't need one...I'm using my exisiting network"...She said yes, you do...I said, "I need a supervisor"...she said ok and started typing something...after about a minute she said the supervisor has authorized her to make the change(she must've been instant messaging with him)...

So, after upgrading my package and then ordering MRV, we had to then reset the receivers and refresh my services, then she put me back to my original PLUS HD DVR package...

#232 OFFLINE   Steveknj

Steveknj

Icon

• Registered
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

So I sent my email this morning and got back the usual reply as posted here, but that I need to upgrade:

I understand you're concerned about adding the Whole-Home DVR Service to your DIRECTV account. In order to activate services for Whole-Home DVR, you will need to upgrade your package to a current package of CHOICE or above as your current package of TOTAL CHOICE PLUS is no longer available. Package availability can be viewed at directv.com/packages, and you may call us at 1-800-531-5000 to upgrade your packaging at any time.

So, in order to get the SAME programming as Total Choice Plus, which package do I need to "upgrade" to?

#233 OFFLINE   mgmrick

mgmrick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

That is right 7r22's and 1 hr20...so even though beta worked fine it will no longer work with out spending 200 bucks for another dvr...no 3 bucks from me dtv

#234 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

So I sent my email this morning and got back the usual reply as posted here, but that I need to upgrade:

So, in order to get the SAME programming as Total Choice Plus, which package do I need to "upgrade" to?

see my post above yours...

#235 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

It looks like you have to have HD service for this to work. Can anyone confirm that?

I am in a HD-locals-only zone (formerly known as 72.5 locals). I have all HD equipment, but have not signed up for HD.

If I have to sign up for HD as well, that's $13/month extra for me and not worth it. Until I get an HDTV anyway. :)

#236 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

Some people have had success getting PLUS HD DVR put back, others haven't .. Some that have had success ended up having MRV turned off about the same time the Beta stopped (is it related? :shrug:) .. Hopefully it will stick, I actually wonder if this will even be possible long term. Hopefully. I know if I were in this situation (I'm not, due to having Lifetime DVR Service), I would probably just give in and change to the unbundled package. $12/yr isn't worth the trouble to fight in my mind .. But that's me, everyone has different values and I can respect that folks that want to see this through.

#237 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

You don't need to change programming. You just need to play CSR roulette till you get one that will do it. Frustrating is an understatement!
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#238 OFFLINE   jeproks

jeproks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:21 PM

I have 3 HR22 and 1 HR10 and the CS rep I spoke to did the attribute change but the MRV option was still grayed out. She spoke to her supervisor and she was told that because I have a HR10 on my account, it needs to be swapped out before MRV can be activated. She went as far as removing the HR10 on my account but cannot get MRV enabled. I don't want to pay for a new receiver and have a new 2 yr commitment. I might try the email way. Anybody else with similar setup as mine that got it activated? TIA

#239 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

I'm seeing this more and more and it's a :scratchin for me.

I didn't think TC+ was in the same boat as PLUS HD DVR.

#240 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

Some people have had success getting PLUS HD DVR put back, others haven't .. Some that have had success ended up having MRV turned off about the same time the Beta stopped (is it related? :shrug:) .. Hopefully it will stick, I actually wonder if this will even be possible long term. Hopefully. I know if I were in this situation (I'm not, due to having Lifetime DVR Service), I would probably just give in and change to the unbundled package. $12/yr isn't worth the trouble to fight in my mind .. But that's me, everyone has different values and I can respect that folks that want to see this through.

hmm...lets multiply $12 per year by everyone that has to upgrade....probably a lot of EXTRA money DIRECTV isn't entitled to...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...