Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1194 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Finally, after several emails, I have the unsupported MRV enabled.:) I did change my package to get rid of the grandfathered HD and DVR services, just so that I wouldn't have to call to keep it. Worth the extra $1 for me. Plus the $3 for MRV is okay too!
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

hey guys, quicl question: I have not read all 12 pages yet, but is there a requirement as far as speed goes, to efficiently run MRV? I am using powerline ethernet networking, but I think the speeds are maybe 1mbps tops for downstream, is that enough? thanks for the feedback in advance!

1 megabit per sec is definitely not fast enough. Most of us have to have N speed, or about 135 to 150 megabits per sec actual throughput. Some have gotten borderline performance with wireless G at 27 megabits per sec, but if your quote is right a 1 megabit per sec, then there isn't a chance.

Now's a good time to go SWM/DECA....very good prices with install and any required equipment, supported by D*. If you do your own networking, you may have trouble getting authorized, as it is unsupported, and you will get no help from D*.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go SWM/DECA as soon as I could.

I'm running a home network with both wired and wireless N, and getting super results, but I am going to order the SWM/DECA upgrade very, very soon. (I need one more tuner than I have, and the SWM installation has better fade performance than a conventional LNB.)
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#303 OFFLINE   woody

woody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

I will try to disconnect the cat5 going into the dvr, and plug it to a laptop and perform a speedtest and let you know what I have on the speed. curse you timewarner and your crappy speed!

#304 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 759 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

I will try to disconnect the cat5 going into the dvr, and plug it to a laptop and perform a speedtest and let you know what I have on the speed. curse you timewarner and your crappy speed!

Hmmm...I've had great speeds with TW. My latest via speetest.net:

Posted Image

I'd be interested in seeing what you're seeing.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#305 OFFLINE   woody

woody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image

not me here in columbus ohio. I have the RR turbo, and just did a wireless speedtest, and got 3.73Mbps. and on hardwired, it's not that much better. this is RR turbo mind you.

also, I just noticed on a chart, that if you have just the R22, you would need DECA to make MRV work, is that true? or can regular home networking work in this instance?

#306 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

For MRV purposes, your ISP has nothing to do with it. The DVRs connected are communicating with each other directly. Your ISP does come into the act for On Demand.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#307 OFFLINE   newlinux

newlinux

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Posted Image

what does your WAN speed have to do with MRV? MRV performance depends on your LAN performance - it doesn't have to go the Internet to do anything.

#308 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

not me here in columbus ohio. I have the RR turbo, and just did a wireless speedtest, and got 3.73Mbps. and on hardwired, it's not that much better. this is RR turbo mind you.

also, I just noticed on a chart, that if you have just the R22, you would need DECA to make MRV work, is that true? or can regular home networking work in this instance?

Woody, we aren't talking about your internet speed...that means nothing for MRV. We are only concerned with the speed between two MRV capable units and that is INSIDE your network, not involving your internet connection at all.

Basically, if you are running wireless between a couple of DVRs, you need peak speeds of at least 25 megabit per sec across the wireless. That is why wireless G is a problem (much of the time), at only 27 megabit per sec at best, and why N can work well, yielding 135 to 150 megabit per sec...these are actual throughput measurements, not advertised 54 mbps and 300 mbps respectively. Actual throughput is typically about one half the rated/advertised speed, hence 300 mbps = 150 (N) and 54 mbps = 27 (G).

This all assumes your wireless system is working at top performance. If it isn't, then you won't even see the half-speed numbers listed above and that can cause severe problems for MRV, especially on an HD signal.

Hope this helps.
...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#309 OFFLINE   Doctor_K

Doctor_K

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

I just got a confirmation e-mail that they turned it on. I just verified that it works. For what it's worth I have the "old" Total Choice Plus with locals - so it CAN be done without "upgrading" your package.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#310 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Woody, we aren't talking about your internet speed...that means nothing for MRV. We are only concerned with the speed between two MRV capable units and that is INSIDE your network, not involving your internet connection at all.

Basically, if you are running wireless between a couple of DVRs, you need peak speeds of at least 25 megabit per sec across the wireless. That is why wireless G is a problem (much of the time), at only 27 megabit per sec at best, and why N can work well, yielding 135 to 150 megabit per sec...these are actual throughput measurements, not advertised 54 mbps and 300 mbps respectively. Actual throughput is typically about one half the rated/advertised speed, hence 300 mbps = 150 (N) and 54 mbps = 27 (G).

This all assumes your wireless system is working at top performance. If it isn't, then you won't even see the half-speed numbers listed above and that can cause severe problems for MRV, especially on an HD signal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for expanding on what I said. :D

#311 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for expanding on what I said. :D

Anytime:)

Now let's hope it helps!
...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#312 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I just got a confirmation e-mail that they turned it on. I just verified that it works. For what it's worth I have the "old" Total Choice Plus with locals - so it CAN be done without "upgrading" your package.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Of course it can, I did it yesterday morning at 9:30 a.m. with exactly the package you have. The CSRs, and D* emailers are causing a lot of difficulty for us home networkers. As always, patience and perseverance pay off.

The only question I had was did they "change the rules" after the BETA expired yesterday afternoon. Your info indicates they have not (unless you sent the email before yesterday around 2 p.m.)
...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#313 OFFLINE   Doctor_K

Doctor_K

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

No I sent my email on today (Friday 5/21) at about 2PM Eastern

#314 OFFLINE   smileyw

smileyw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

I didn't have very good luck with the e-mail route, so, I called customer service, told them what I wanted, the guy first said "I need the 99+49 deal", but when I told him I was willing to go unsupported, he gave me no trouble and did the whole thing in about 2-3 minutes. I suspect others have similar results, but people here are posting more complaints than successes...

W

#315 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 759 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

what does your WAN speed have to do with MRV? MRV performance depends on your LAN performance - it doesn't have to go the Internet to do anything.

I know. I was just curious as to what his Time Warner speeds were as I've had no issue with mine.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#316 OFFLINE   CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hey, Doug!

Thanks for the advise. Sent a message to DirecTV last night (did a lot of copying & pasting from your original post) and MRV is back in business today.

Got to love it!

#317 OFFLINE   msm96wolf

msm96wolf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

Apparently they did not make me change packages. I am getting the MRV installed next friday and they turned on unsupported until they come. In addition, the are upgrading my r15 to an hr22 at no cost. Only reason went the full MRV package, I have three areas with one tuner only, my understanding this will enable the two tuners on those tvs. So by the end I will have 5 HD DVR hooked up to MRV viewing. With a 1tb and 750 gig hd on two, I should have a good storage library now :)

#318 OFFLINE   RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Did not work for me after 24 hours so on the phone...

#319 OFFLINE   woody

woody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hope this helps.

hi hasan, thank you for your reply. I thought to achieve good performace, internet speeds matter. I'm sorry I got this thing all mixed up, what can I say, I'm a stupid n00b...lol

ok, here is my set up, I have a Belkin wireless G router, (54mbps), and then to get to the HR21, it is on 2 Netgear XE102 (11mbps), and to get to R22, it is off another XE102. based on what you said, the XE102 powerline adapter certainly is not going to cut it, is it? to increase performance, would you say that I need to get a faster N router? that would be the first step, I am guessing.

after the N router is acquired, would I need to get faster powerline adapter as well? that 11mbps seemed super paltry now, am I right?

also does anyone have information on whether or not for R22 to get MRV, a DECA is required? according to some silly chart I saw, we would need it. so I am curious to know if this is the actual truth. any feedback again would be greatly appreciated.

#320 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

hi hasan, thank you for your reply. I thought to achieve good performace, internet speeds matter. I'm sorry I got this thing all mixed up, what can I say, I'm a stupid n00b...lol

ok, here is my set up, I have a Belkin wireless G router, (54mbps), and then to get to the HR21, it is on 2 Netgear XE102 (11mbps), and to get to R22, it is off another XE102. based on what you said, the XE102 powerline adapter certainly is not going to cut it, is it? to increase performance, would you say that I need to get a faster N router? that would be the first step, I am guessing.

after the N router is acquired, would I need to get faster powerline adapter as well? that 11mbps seemed super paltry now, am I right?

also does anyone have information on whether or not for R22 to get MRV, a DECA is required? according to some silly chart I saw, we would need it. so I am curious to know if this is the actual truth. any feedback again would be greatly appreciated.

With everything you would need to get your own network up to snuff (what you have is NOT going to work), you would be far, far better off taking advantage of the current upgrade to SWM/DECA. It's a no brainer in your circumstance. They are swapping out equipment at no additional cost (within some limits, call and see what they say you need, and what the total cost would be...bargain with them, ask for consideration, etc. etc.)

You are in the right spot at the right time to take advantage of the current offer. My advice: don't pass it up.

I, on the other hand have a fully functioning high speed network and could do without SWM/DECA, but I do need another tuner line, so I'm going to order the upgrade, perhaps tomorrow and end up running a hybrid system. I have two dishes. One will be converted to SWM/DECA and have two HD DVRs and an HD Receiver on it. The other dish at the other end of the house will stay as it is on an HR20-100 DVR with a WET610N N wireless adapter which will connect to the SWM/DECA setup wirelessly via my D-Link eXtreme 825 dual band router/gigabit switch (hence the "hybrid" description).

Call D* and see what kind of deal you can cut. I think you will see in short order that it's a far better approach than reworking your existing network.
...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#321 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

WOW!

After getting the run around for a day via email and finally being completely ignored I had no choice but to call. Told the nice CSR I was using the beta and just needed to get activated now that it's out of beta. Also told her I understood it cost $3/mo. That was it! No further discussion necessary - nothing about ordering the kit, nothing about upgrading base package. Nice.

I've got Total Choice with lifetime DVR service and now I've got whole home DVR service.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#322 OFFLINE   jrmichael

jrmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

No luck for me after emailing. Got the dreaded expired package response:

Thanks for writing. I can see you’ve been with us for several years and we recognize you as a valued and loyal customer. We want you to know we appreciate it.

I completely understand your concern about adding the Whole-Home DVR Service without upgrading your equipment. First, I would like to inform you that in order to add the Whole-Home DVR Service on to your account, you must have a current programming package. However, our records show that your programming package, TOTAL CHOICE, is already expired so it would be best to call us at 1-800-531-5000 to switch to a current package and add the Whole-Home DVR Service. Please be advised that once you switch to one of our current packages, you would not be able to return to your expired base package, TOTAL CHOICE
AU9 Dish SL3-S LNB - DECA - (1) HR24-500 (1) HR20-700 (1) HR21-200 Samsung HPT-5034 50" Plasma (HDMI - HR24) Sony 42" LCD (HDMI - HR21) Samsung 42" Plasma (HDMI - HR20)

#323 OFFLINE   woody

woody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

With everything you would need to get your own network up to snuff (what you have is NOT going to work), you would be far, far better off taking advantage of the current upgrade to SWM/DECA. It's a no brainer in your circumstance. They are swapping out equipment at no additional cost (within some limits, call and see what they say you need, and what the total cost would be...bargain with them, ask for consideration, etc. etc.)

You are in the right spot at the right time to take advantage of the current offer. My advice: don't pass it up.

I, on the other hand have a fully functioning high speed network and could do without SWM/DECA, but I do need another tuner line, so I'm going to order the upgrade, perhaps tomorrow and end up running a hybrid system. I have two dishes. One will be converted to SWM/DECA and have two HD DVRs and an HD Receiver on it. The other dish at the other end of the house will stay as it is on an HR20-100 DVR with a WET610N N wireless adapter which will connect to the SWM/DECA setup wirelessly via my D-Link eXtreme 825 dual band router/gigabit switch (hence the "hybrid" description).

Call D* and see what kind of deal you can cut. I think you will see in short order that it's a far better approach than reworking your existing network.

Thanks again for the reply. the biggest thing that I have would be upgrading the equipment that would extend my contract. I really do not want to do that. is there a way that would get the DECA installed without extending the contract? I would think that there is.

MRV aside, I think it's time to upgrade my network, let alone the benefit of getting throughput speed. if I get a N router, what would be the best method to get good network speed to HR21 and R22? and do you know whether or not I really would need a DECA in order to have MRV work with R22? thanks.

#324 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

So, I get a confirmation email from DirecTV concerning my change in service. The subject line is "DIRECTV Programming & Service Update (Confirmation of Phone Transaction)". The problem is I didn't do it by phone. Hopefully, I won't see a phone charge on my account.

#325 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Only having read the last page or two of this massive thread, let me tell you my experience.

I too missed my MRV, had it for about a year and got very used to it. I called and was told it would be $99 to upgrade. I asked why, in a pretty upset tone, indicating I'd been using it for a year and it worked fine, why would I need an upgrade? The CSR said "Oh, you must have been on the beta program, we can set you up." He then went on to say it was not compatible with my package, I had the $79 HD/DVR package. He said I'd have to change. It was a dollar more, plus the $3.00 fee. I was a little ticked at this point and asked if it would involve any commitment, He told me I had one, and I said I didn't. Took about a half hour to resolve, had to transfer me to retention.

Turns out my account was mislabeled after I got the TiVo swap last year and retention cleared it up. I have no commitment, and I now have MRV for $4.00 more and they tossed in a 6 month waiver on the HD fee. If I pressed I might have gotten more, but I'll save that for a future date...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...