Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:15 AM

just called and got a CSR that knew nothing about any of this
Doris dbase
the procedure from post 1
beta MRV users,
so...
I politely said I would call back later, and sent an e-mail like Doug requested.
I'm a little bummed about my R22 though.
Think I can get it swapped out for free?

Edited by SteveHas, 22 May 2010 - 06:21 AM.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

So, I get a confirmation email from DirecTV concerning my change in service. The subject line is "DIRECTV Programming & Service Update (Confirmation of Phone Transaction)". The problem is I didn't do it by phone. Hopefully, I won't see a phone charge on my account.

I've called them at least a dozen times in the past week trying to get DECA installed and failing that trying to get MRV turned on. Never heard of a phone charge.

#343 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

I think i will wait another couple weeks and let all you guy's work out the bugs.

#344 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

I think i will wait another couple weeks and let all you guy's work out the bugs.

You must not have a significant other who will have a fit if she/he loses her/his MRV :lol:

#345 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:02 AM

My only fear with that is D* makes a decision that all this unsupported stuff is causing them too much trouble, and they discontinue allowing any "new" home network authorizations, while allowing those already enabled to keep it.

I have heard nothing that indicates this may happen, but ....

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#346 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

Total choice package. E-mail route reply said I had to change package. Called and a csr had me set up in less than 5 minutes.

I did the email method. Had to go online and change my package. Emailed back that I had done that and 60 minutes later it was activated. Easy.
Go Hoos!

#347 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

My only fear with that is D* makes a decision that all this unsupported stuff is causing them too much trouble, and they discontinue allowing any "new" home network authorizations, while allowing those already enabled to keep it.

That could significantly PO DIYers who buy DECAs to self-install, just because they believe they can do a better job than a truck roll (even if it costs more).

It is a little frustrating to have to educate the installers, and pay for the privilege... ;)

#348 OFFLINE   FmrFrtDog

FmrFrtDog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

I'm still waiting for the email reply. I wonder if sending a second one would help?
I'll wait until tonight (24 hrs since first email).

I wound up sending two e-mails, about 15 hours apart. The second one worked and MRV was activated on all my receivers withing a few hours. I got an e-mail reply to the second request and another e-mail noting the change to my account adding the MRV charge.
Equipment:

HR20-700 via Component to Hitachi Plasma controlled by Slingbox classic
HR20-100 via HDMI to Sylvania LCD HDTV controlled by HAVA Titanium
HR21-100 via HDMI/DVI to Sharp LCD controlled by Slingbox Pro
HR22-100 via S-video to SDTV controlled by Slingbox A/V
H21-100 via HDMI to Samsung LCD HDTV

Zinwell WB68
Slimline 5 LNB
Winegard SS2000 for OTA

#349 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

That could significantly PO DIYers who buy DECAs to self-install, just because they believe they can do a better job than a truck roll (even if it costs more).

It is a little frustrating to have to educate the installers, and pay for the privilege... ;)

I was referring only to home ethernet based systems, nothing to do with DECA, when I used the word "unsupported". Again, I only replied because the OP said he was going to wait "a couple of months", which to me, has some risk to it. Corporations can be quite arbitrary when they feel like it.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#350 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:39 AM

I rarely visit this site, since my DirecTV has been exceeding my expectations lately. Speaking to a CSR after losing my (beta) networked MRV changed that, though. :mad: I remembered how this forum helped me in the past and decided to see how others were handling this issue. I found the answer here in minutes. Emailed them last night and this morning all is well. :)
Thanks for maintaining this awesome resource!

#351 OFFLINE   dparisoe

dparisoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

I was told via email that I could not add the option because I did not have 2 HD receivers. I have 1 HR21 and 1 R22. I have been using the beta for almost a year.

Has anyone tried to active a setup like this?
David
------------------
HR21-700 - Sony KDL-52XBR9
R22-100(With HD) - Olevia 37"

#352 OFFLINE   TDockUSC

TDockUSC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Just my experience...

Emailed on Thursday evening and heard nothing.

Called this morning and followed Doug's instructions and it took less than 5 mins. Would encourage anyone still waiting on email response to just call.

#353 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

I tried to get DECA installed and they're having even more trouble doing it that way. Two installs set up and SIX hours on the phone and they never got it right. Calling to get MRV turned on for the Ethernet set up was just one call. A nasty argumentative call but just one.

#354 OFFLINE   favila

favila

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

I also participated in the MRV beta and do want to continue this service using my home network. I called twice and was told on one occasion that nothing was required, I would just be rolled over to new service once beta ended (yea nice try), then I call after beta ended and they told me that I needed to upgrade one of my HRs to a HR24? I did not want to do that, and have seen that this is really not needed. They never mentioned the requirement to upgrade my old package, which would really concern me, due to that I have the following package:

Select Choice
Local Channels
HD Access
HD Extra Package
DNS Networks from both LA/NY in SD only
DVR Service

I would hate to lose my DNS network feeds in the process of getting MRV turned on. I have been told that I should not have DNS anymore since I have locals in HD?

Any feedback on this and does anyone else have this type of configuration and been succesful on activating MRV.

Thanks

#355 OFFLINE   Rockermann

Rockermann

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the great instructions, Doug. I emailed last night after viewing this thread (about 6 PM) and by 7 am this morning, I got an email confirming they'd reactivated the MRV feature. Couldn't have been easier.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AR100U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
2 - HR24/500 HD PVRs
My Theater
My Theater Construction

#356 OFFLINE   TDDV

TDDV

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Success!!!

Sent the email like Doug posted. Got a reply the next morning to call D. Told them what I wanted, and after a few minutes the person on the phone told me I needed to pay $98 for a professional installation. I told them that I was not going to pay and wanted to talk to the supervisor. Well, that took care of it. They activated MRV, and I rebooted both receivers. I'm now operational. Like most of you, I'm considered a value customer (member since 98) so I think it gave me some leverage. I hope you guys have the same luck.

#357 OFFLINE   waltb

waltb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

I posted a thread last week in which I detailed a method for getting MRV enabled in an 'unsupported' mode when talking to a CSR.

DIRECTV has asked that we make a change in our process for requesting 'unsupported' setup.

At this point, the recommended (and requested by DIRECTV) method for getting your account set to 'unsupported' is to use E-mail.

Simply click here to get started.

• Enter your contact information
  • For Topic, select "Services"
  • For Topic, select "Whole Home DVR Service"
  • For Subject, Enter "Please enable Whole Home DVR Service in for public beta customer"
  • For Question, Enter "I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill."
  • Enter the security information
  • Press Continue

At this point, please do not use Twitter nor call CSRs to make this request. Sending an E-mail will provide you with the most effective method to success.

Doug, many thanks! Sent the email, then called a CSR, who authorized the service. Did not have to change packages, still using TC+. Interestingly, CSR asked me right up front if I was part of the beta (I was), which seemed to speed things along. Appeared to take less than five minutes to authorize once the CSR completed the steps. Great job Doug!

#358 OFFLINE   drew64

drew64

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

The first e mail I sent I was told that I needed to upgrade my package. I replied to that e mail stating I was told that this was not the case and also sent another e mail to direct tv. Got a response that MRV was activated but would not be supported. So try sending a second e mail. It appears I got a different rep responding.

#359 OFFLINE   mjbvideo

mjbvideo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Question about the DirecTV CSR 'system'. Is their script on paper or an on-screen database. If it's an on-screen database then I don't understand whay a simple update to the database would give all the CSR's the exact same info regard MRV (ditto for every other aspect of their service). I just don't get it.

#360 OFFLINE   cekowalski

cekowalski

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

Ok, I am really ticked off now. This might be the end of my relationship with D*. Nickel and dime me, for another $3, and now this...

First agent I spoke with said no problem, but wouldn't follow the instructions I read off. He said "I've done this before." Said it was all set... and then transferred me to another department (so I could drop my premiums, as I promised I would do). He said it should be active by the end of that call. Nope.

I called back. Second agent would not listen, wouldn't even read the DORIS article. He went to a supervisor, who said nope, the only way you get it is if you pay $99 to install DECA. Period. I pushed back, said why can't you follow the instructions given to me by D*, I'm a beta tester, and he said he doesn't "take instructions from customers."

I'm going to try the email option, and if that doesn't work, I'm giving up and going to Comcast, after 14 years. Them stopping the beta without getting the CSR process set up was a clear sign they don't have any respect for those of us who test D* software. It's the most "one way" kind of relationship I've ever been in. I feel like I'm getting gouged, and treated like nothing, on top of that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...