Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   swaff

swaff

Hail to the Redskins

• DBSTalk Club
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Doug. Email sent. We shall see...

Same here - It did say that I should know something within 24 hours

Slimline 3
Living Room - HR22-100 - DECA Connected
Master Bedroom - HR21-200 - DECA Connected

LR HR23-700 - RIP 5-13-11
LR/MB HR23-700 - RIP 8-13-11
MB HR21-200 - RIP 12-10-12

My Complete Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jasonc213

jasonc213

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

I posted a thread last week in which I detailed a method for getting MRV enabled in an 'unsupported' mode when talking to a CSR.

Cool Doug, looks like your investigation/assistance got recognized. Did DTV contact you asking you to make the changes? Just curious. Thanks again by the way for helping everyone get this taken care of smoothly.
DirecTV employee since 5/2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, they are not on behalf or represent DirecTV in any way.

#43 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Now I see that. "Currently activated" looked almost grayed out. I saw this as a p;romotion to sign up for it and missed that it was activated until you pointed that out. Thanks again.

It is very easy to miss, and that's why both of us missed it! I don't use the site enough to become familiar with the non-intuitive "cubbie holes" where they stuff info. But in their defense, at least it is there.:)

Glad it worked out for both of us, and my pleasure to help.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#44 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

The top quote seemingly contradicts the bottom quote. Who is right?

I just checked the site...the new package is $16 a month less then what I pay now...adding the HD,DVR,&MRV will add 20 so my total cost is $4 more....sorry for the confusion.
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection
HDMI to Toshiba Regza 47in LCD

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection
Component cables to Westinghouse 27in LCD

#45 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

I think Doug may have gotten it backwards. The reason so many of us stayed with TC+, without going with TC+/HD-DVR bundled is that we saved a dollar a month, without losing anything.

At least that's why I stayed, and I'm going to feel like an idiot if I stayed so I could pay an additional buck a month for nothing.

Unbundled TC+ is a buck cheaper than bundled with HD-DVR, or I've been screwing myself for a couple of years. :)

hasan .. 'Total Choice' is not the same thing as 'Choice Xtra' As far as I know there are not 'Total Choice' packages that have had issues. It is ONLY the package labeled:

Choice Xtra plus HD-DVR

All other packages have not been a problem.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   rgbyhkr

rgbyhkr

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Doug for the help. I submitted the email and then checked on my package and made the change you mentioned after seeing that I did indeed have that specific legacy one. So, hopefully, they'll add my MRV back soon. What a cluster you know what. It amazes me how stupid some companies can be. It will absolutely get D some negative commentary and anger that so could have been avoided. Reminds me of that old Bill Cosby joke: "...we can't go to sleep unless we've had a good beating!"

Jeff

#47 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

hasan .. 'Total Choice' is not the same thing as 'Choice Xtra' As far as I know there are not 'Total Choice' packages that have had issues. It is ONLY the package labeled:

Choice Xtra plus HD-DVR

All other packages have not been a problem.

see post#23
http://www.dbstalk.c...569#post2465569
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#48 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Cool Doug, looks like your investigation/assistance got recognized. Did DTV contact you asking you to make the changes? Just curious. Thanks again by the way for helping everyone get this taken care of smoothly.

Yes, but in all honesty, they said at the time (about 3 hours back) that it might take them a few hours to have it fully set up internally.

I do hope this to smooth out .. Sounds like they are trying to get this handled in a very consistent way (rather than the YMMV that we have seen).

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

see post#23
http://www.dbstalk.c...569#post2465569

I understand .. and I understand your frustration ..

If you see both 'HD Service' and 'DVR Service' active on your account, then the package you have is NOT your problem. In your case it is most likely that the 'u' flag is not set for MRV-Compatibility.

If that DO NOT show 'currently active' as seen in the images below, then that needs to be corrected. Both MUST say 'currently active' before 'whole home dvr service' can be activated.

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot120.png
  • ScreenShot121.png

#50 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

I honestly don't think DirecTV has handled this well. I've been a beta tester since it started in CE.. and I have received NO communications from DirecTV that this service would start being pay on May 20th. The only reason I found out is I check this forum. I sent them an email with no response. Had to go the Twitter route and they activated it.

Would have been pissed if it would have just been turned off.
Samsung 46" LCD - 4696D
HR22-100
HR20-700

#51 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

The top quote seemingly contradicts the bottom quote. Who is right?

The $20 is referring to the cost of all three add-ons.

DVR=$7
MRV=$3
HD=$10
TL=$20

The $1.00 is the difference between the legacy HD/DVR+ and the cost of Total Choice + with HD and DVR added. Both are right, just talking about completely different items.

#52 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Doug for the help. I submitted the email and then checked on my package and made the change you mentioned after seeing that I did indeed have that specific legacy one. So, hopefully, they'll add my MRV back soon. What a cluster you know what. It amazes me how stupid some companies can be. It will absolutely get D some negative commentary and anger that so could have been avoided. Reminds me of that old Bill Cosby joke: "...we can't go to sleep unless we've had a good beating!"

Jeff

Well, maybe a small blip .. In the long run things will get fixed because folks will get turned on eventually and ultimately all will be forgotten. The only thing people will remember is that it costs more to use it now. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it is what it is.

#53 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

The $20 is referring to the cost of all three add-ons.

DVR=$7
MRV=$3
HD=$10
TL=$20

The $1.00 is the difference between the legacy HD/DVR+ and the cost of Total Choice + with HD and DVR added. Both are right, just talking about completely different items.

Well it's still $17/month without MRV in that case. :scratchin

#54 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

The phrasing "unsupported" concerns me. Does that mean they don't support any part of our system or just don't call with network issues because the network is my problem? I am paying for the service plan thing so I'd hate to think this is me saying I am ok with them not fixing any problems.

If you have MRV issues, they will not support them unless you are on DECA. For obvious reasons, they cannot provide support for network issues unless the flow of data is coming from hardware that they can control.

#55 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I tried the email version twice with no luck - one just replied that they passed it onto someone who will get back with me within 48 hours (from about 1pm today...) and the other said I can't do it with my Total Choice Plus package (which may end up being the case but it seems others have had it work).

Sooo.....I thought I would try to call to talk to someone since my MRV is now turned off and I would like to get this activated by tonight and here is the fun part....

The CSR first told me that I needed to remove my access card......I asked why, lol...after explaining again what I wanted, she told me none of my receivers would work with it and I politely explained that the two HR20's would so she put me on hold to talk to a supervisor and came back and said that he confirmed that I needed all new HR24's to replace my 4 receivers....

So frustrating....

#56 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

I understand .. and I understand your frustration ..

If you see both 'HD Service' and 'DVR Service' active on your account, then the package you have is NOT your problem. In your case it is most likely that the 'u' flag is not set for MRV-Compatibility.

If that DO NOT show 'currently active' as seen in the images below, then that needs to be corrected. Both MUST say 'currently active' before 'whole home dvr service' can be activated.

HD service and DVR service are both currently active. I sent another email exactly as you instructed in the first post here so hopefully it gets taken care of on this 4th try.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.png
  • 1.png
  • 2.png
  • 3.png

I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#57 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Well it's still $17/month without MRV in that case. :scratchin

True. I wonder if the OP realizes it is not an additional $20. It would either be $3 or $4 "more" depending on if he keeps the legacy package.

All in all, it does seem like a good move for the CSRs to have this moved to e-mail vs. call-in. Based on what I'm reading here, there is seems to be too much time spent by the CSRs trying to get unsupported systems activated.

#58 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

If you have MRV issues, they will not support them unless you are on DECA that they installed. For obvious reasons, they cannot provide support for network issues unless the flow of data is coming from hardware that they can control.

I believe this is now correct.

#59 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

HD service and DVR service are both currently active. I sent another email exactly as you instructed in the first post here so hopefully it gets taken care of on this 4th try.

yup .. looks like the MRV-Compatibility flag isn't set to 'u' .. Once that gets done, then you should be all set to add WHDS. It doesn't seem like anything else would be a problem in your case.

#60 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

yup .. looks like the MRV-Compatibility flag isn't set to 'u' .. Once that gets done, then you should be all set to add WHDS. It doesn't seem like anything else would be a problem in your case.

Sending the email you describe in post 1 should accomplish this, correct? Or is there something else I need to do?

spam firewall