Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Well, there is hope! I was on another phone attempt and had just explained to the CSR yet again that I did not need new equipment when I got an email back from an early attempt saying they activated it, which I can confirm on my TV!

Please note that I did NOT have to change my legacy Total Choice Plus Locals package and I have one of those accounts that still show "Get Direct TV HD Service" (as if it is not already active). So there is a way to do it using your legacy package apparently.

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions! Where would we be without this site? :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

I just got off the phone and accomplished it after a few tries. The first couple of CSR's were completely befuddled, which I don't blame them for. The last call, I opened with "yes, I need to activate Whole Home DVR service. I do not have the HR24 or DECA equipment that you will see it says is necessary, but I do have my equipment networked already, it can be done with and you will likely have to transfer me to Network support to get this done."

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#63 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Sending the email you describe in post 1 should accomplish this, correct? Or is there something else I need to do?

I sure hope so .. This is what I've been told is the case.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#64 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

I sure hope so .. This is what I've been told is the case.

Ok, fingers crossed.
thank you
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#65 OFFLINE   jfulcher

jfulcher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

This is exactly the reason .. It's a bug in the process, but one I don't think will be changing. The lack of 'HD Access' showing up for that package has been true for years, it's only now that it matters. You can keep the legacy package or go with MRV, but I don't think you'll have success keeping the legacy package and getting MRV.

So I'm on the Premier Package with the grandfathered free DVR service. I tried this method, but they are telling me they can't enable it unless i change to the current DVR package and pay $7/mo for DVR?

SERIOUSLY? I'm beyond pissed off at DTV right now and as far as I'm concerned unless they change this policy in the next few weeks I'll be done with directv when my contract is up in September and I've been a customer since 1999 or 2000.

I'm sick of them nickle and diming me on everything.

#66 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

So I'm on the Premier Package with the grandfathered free DVR service. I tried this method, but they are telling me they can't enable it unless i change to the current DVR package and pay $7/mo for DVR?

Not true. I am on Choice Ulimate with lifetime DVR, and they turned it on just fine. Thats bogus info they are giving you. Call again and get someone else.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#67 OFFLINE   jfulcher

jfulcher

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Not true. I am on Choice Ulimate with lifetime DVR, and they turned it on just fine. Thats bogus info they are giving you. Call again and get someone else.

Thank you for writing. It is a pleasure to hear from one of our loyal customers. We appreciate your business and continued support.

We will be happy to assist you with adding the Whole-Home DVR service to your account. Please know that to enjoy the very best of our Whole-Home DVR service, we request that customers upgrade to our SWiM Network for optimal usage of the Whole-Home DVR service.

While we understand that you have made a substantial investment in a non-SWiM home network, we can activate the Whole-Home DVR service at its normal price at $3.00 per residence.

However, we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service. In addition, by adding the service without upgrading doesn't include DECAs and Band-Stop Filters nor receiver swaps.

In order to activate services for Whole-Home DVR, you will need to upgrade your package to a current package of CHOICE or above as your current package is no longer available.

Currently, your package is the PREMIER with DVR Service included. If you want to keep the PREMIER package, you will be charge separately for the DVR Service which is $7 a month.

#68 OFFLINE   lshank

lshank

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

jdspencer, et al

Hi,

Have you had any luck re-activating MRV with DirecTV?
I am like you and just want MRV re-activated without anything being installed since it was working fine during the beta stage. I called D but the Rep couldn't just re-activate it without scheduling the $99 install, etc.
We made need to wait for awhile when it becomes more mainstream OR call retention.

Any HELP is really appreciated.

Thanks,

#69 OFFLINE   rob5819

rob5819

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

SERIOUSLY? I'm beyond pissed off at DTV right now and as far as I'm concerned unless they change this policy in the next few weeks I'll be done with directv when my contract is up in September and I've been a customer since 1999 or 2000.

I also have Premier and Lifetime DVR service. I sent the e-mail in a while ago to re-activate MRV, no response yet, but I'll post when I see something.

#70 OFFLINE   rob316

rob316

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

D really dropped the ball on this one, especially for the Beta Testers. I mean really all they had to do was notify us beta testers earlier to activate before it went national. Thats the least they could of did for testing it for them GEESH.:nono2:

#71 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

Lost my MRV today as most of you. I assumed last week that this would happen so I scheduled my DECA installation for tommorrow morning. Got a call today and they confirmed the time slot.

Wanting to use MRV tonight and before they come tommorrow, I called DTV to ask to get it turned on now. The 1st line CSR didn't even know what MRV was but transferred me to a "Protection Plan" CSR. Since she couldn't do anything, she investigated and found out who to transfer me too. My 3rd CSR was a very pleasant lady who said she could do it but would take a few minutes and possibly a restart of the receiver. She activated it then stayed on the line while I restarted the receiver and like magic it began working again. I've checked all my other STB's and all show MRV is active.

I am also on the Total Choice Legacy package and this did not cause any issues.

I believe I was successful because I am scheduled for an install tommorrow.

This was a well trained CSR. She has handled many calls today as the beta program switch was turned off. :hurah:

#72 OFFLINE   BobSanders21

BobSanders21

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I was also a Beta tester. I called this evening and was able to add the MRV without the DECA upgrade. It took a few minutes of running some steps on their end, but it is now back up and working. The CSR said that she had to upgrade me to a current package and then was able to downgrade back to the original (XTRA plus HDDVR). I even received the HD extra pack free for 3 months.

#73 OFFLINE   rob316

rob316

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I agree 100% enough of this nickle and diming BS, I have the no longer offered Choice Xtra + HD DVR package to which I understand you cannot have for MRV to activate. I need to have the equilavent package which is an extra dollar a month, I know it's a dollar but when I have to pay an extra 3 dollars for MRV that 4 bucks now fo me. :nono:

#74 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

i just called for the 3rd time and got a CSR that knew what he was doing. he removed my choice xtra hddvr and added choice xtra, hd, and dvr, then added whole house dvr...and so far everything is fine. didnt need to go the email route.

#75 OFFLINE   bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Seems some of them have no idea what is going on...
And they don't actually appear to read the emails.
Pretty sure I followed the email instructions properly.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Please enable Whole Home DVR Service in unsupported mode

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Marion G. - xxxxxxxxx) - 05/20/2010 03:34 PM
Dear Mr.xxxxxxxx,

Thanks for writing. I understand that you are interested in our Whole-Home DVR service.

DIRECTV Whole Home DVR Service gives you the power to share all of your recorded programs with any TV in your house. You can also:

- Record, delete, pause and rewind your favorite shows no matter where you are
- Manage your DVR playlist from any room
- Record two shows while watching two others
- Set separate parental controls for each TV
- Watch your recorded shows in HD in any room

To start recording and watching your favorite programs in any room one of your networked TV's needs to be connected to a whole home capable HD DVR and your other TV's will need to be connected to whole home capable HD receivers. HD Access, DVR Service and Whole Home DVR Service are also required.

Call us at 1-800-531-5000 to schedule your Whole-Home DVR service installation. For more information on DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR service, visit directv.com/wholehome

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Marion G. - xxxxxxxxxx
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

Customer (xxxxxxxxxxx) - 05/20/2010 12:50 PM
I would like to add whole home DVR Service to my account using my existing equipment. I am already networked and was part of the Multiroom Viewing Public Beta that has been going on the past few months. I realize this will add $3/month to my bill.

Edited by bobsyouruncle, 20 May 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

There is a big difference between lifetime DVR and the legacy package that included DVR service in the Premium package. I fought the battle to keep free DVR service on my package with every equipment swap or other change to my service. Eventually, I gave up the fight and just pay the fee. As much as I hate to see my bills go up, my only other options are Dish and Cable. If either one were more appealing I would have switched long ago.

#77 OFFLINE   rob316

rob316

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Seems some of them have no idea what is going on...
And they don't sactually appear to read the emails.
Pretty sure I followed the email instructions properly.

Priceless ^^^^

#78 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

i just called for the 3rd time and got a CSR that knew what he was doing. he removed my choice xtra hddvr and added choice xtra, hd, and dvr, then added whole house dvr...and so far everything is fine. didnt need to go the email route.

well the CSR i got was STEVE and he was in retention...and knew exactly what he was doing. of course now ill be paying FOUR dollars more a month..but who cares, i WANT mrv.

#79 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

3 hours since I sent the email and NOTHING....this PROCESS has to be speedier

#80 OFFLINE   JMII

JMII

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'm trying the email route since I HATE calling DirecTV as I always get clueless people when I call :rolleyes: However I'm worried that down the road some software updated will "break" MRV over Ethernet and I'll be forced to buy the $99 "upgrade" :nono2: I'm already pissed about the $3 charge but like everyone else my wife is HOOKED on this feature. I've been a DTV customer since '97 and this nickle and dime stuff is getting pretty old. I've got Total Choice Plus (HD + DVR) grandfathered package so I'm just going to cross my fingers someone at DTV pushes the right buttons to make it all happen.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...