Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

jdspencer, et al

Hi,

Have you had any luck re-activating MRV with DirecTV?
I am like you and just want MRV re-activated without anything being installed since it was working fine during the beta stage. I called D but the Rep couldn't just re-activate it without scheduling the $99 install, etc.
We made need to wait for awhile when it becomes more mainstream OR call retention.

Any HELP is really appreciated.

Thanks,

I just got back about an hour ago and discovered that MRV was deactivated. I came here and found this thread about sending an email to DirecTV. I followed the directions and am now waiting to see how long it will take. Stay tuned.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   alant40

alant40

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

Well! I just got off the phone with a rep from tech support. Phew!! What a unmitigated disaster. But it turned out good. It's on and I'm out 3.00 a month. First I had a woman in retention who was absolutely oblivious as to what to do. Then I called a regular CSR. No good. Then I opted for tech support and they didn't know how to do it. Until I started reading them some of the posts from this forum. Got a supervisor and what she did was turn my package off, add MVR, and then turn it back on. I have the Choice Xtra +HD DVR package, an expired package. This took over an hour between the 3 people I spoke to. But it beats e-mail so give it a whirl folks.

#83 OFFLINE   heels98

heels98

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

Well the email via the D* website worked. Interesting thing is that I had three different CSRs tell me my equipment was not eligible (HR23 and R22 w/ HD). I emailed via the website today around 2 and about 5:00 I received an email saying that they had activated Whole Home DVR. It shows up on my account online and beta is removed from the setup screen. I can see they still had to work something out though because they added it twice and it kicked it back out, same as had happened via phone on Tuesday. The third time they tried it today they must have found the problem because it is now active.

#84 OFFLINE   directvsocks

directvsocks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

I changed my package to a non-legacy for an extra buck and it took almost immediately

Doug Brott is a god.

#85 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

I followed the email instructions and we'll see what happens. I plan to keep trying until I get someone on the other end that actually reads the email provides something other than a canned response that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. That seems to happen a lot. Fortunately this board can provide answers to about anything.

#86 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Well! I just got off the phone with a rep from tech support. Phew!! What a unmitigated disaster. But it turned out good. It's on and I'm out 3.00 a month. First I had a woman in retention who was absolutely oblivious as to what to do. Then I called a regular CSR. No good. Then I opted for tech support and they didn't know how to do it. Until I started reading them some of the posts from this forum. Got a supervisor and what she did was turn my package off, add MVR, and then turn it back on. I have the Choice Xtra +HD DVR package, an expired package. This took over an hour between the 3 people I spoke to. But it beats e-mail so give it a whirl folks.

ill pay the extra buck i dont care...itll save the hassle of calling back and trying to get them to "turn back on" choice xtra plus hddvr...as long as the channels are the same, 3 or 4 bucks doesnt matter, especailly when i am expecting a really good deal on sunday ticket...

#87 OFFLINE   mdriskell

mdriskell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Sent the email hours ago but no reply...so I decided to try and call...got lucky first guy enabled it no problem (I had already changed my package off of the Choice XTRA +HDDVR) and I was off the phone in less than 5.
Had to reboot to enable.
My Setup
Main DVR HR21-100
Wired Connection
HDMI to Toshiba Regza 47in LCD

Bedroom DVR HR22-700
Wired Connection
Component cables to Westinghouse 27in LCD

#88 OFFLINE   dparisoe

dparisoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

I'm glad to here it is working for some of you, I have called twice and both times they said it was added but it did not work and then they looked and it was removed for some reason, My account shows that it was added and removed 4 times. They said it was escalated and that I would receive a call when it is fixed. So far nothing and it has been almost 2 hours since the last call.

I also tried adding it myself through the website a little while ago and that was a no go also. It said it was added but doesn't work and doesn't show as active on the account.

I also have TC+ with HD Access and DVR service.
David
------------------
HR21-700 - Sony KDL-52XBR9
R22-100(With HD) - Olevia 37"

#89 ONLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

so, Doug, what's the deal? Do we call or use email?

#90 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Just sent my e-mail (just turned my dvr on and the beta is now off)
Will see what happens - I hate DirecTV customer service.

#91 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Just called and turned mine back on. Very nice lady but took 15 minutes on hold. Note : I did end up doing a receiver re-boot and for some reason lost my Ethernet connection so booted the router also. Everything is back up. I love this HR24 it is much faster than my HR20.

#92 OFFLINE   new_2_hd

new_2_hd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

Just to clarify, I have two HR21s. I had the MRV-beta working fine with these via my home network. I don't NEED any different equipment now, right? I see a lot of folks talking about HR23s (H23s) and HR24s (H24s).

#93 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,864 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

Just to clarify, I have two HR21s. I had the MRV-beta working fine with these via my home network. I don't NEED any different equipment now, right? I see a lot of folks talking about HR23s (H23s) and HR24s (H24s).

No, you don't, but getting MRV turned on for your home network setup (instead of upgrading to DECA), can be ....well....challenging. Follow Doug's advice and submit via email, and hope for the best.

I got mine turned on via phone this morning, but since then, they have asked to do the email thing per Doug's instructions in the first post.

My setup:

Home Network, Not DECA

HR20-700
HR21-200
HR20-100
H21-200 (stand alone HD receiver, not a DVR)

All work fine with Whole House DVR Service (or what we call MRV)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#94 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Man, I going though the same nightmare now..... First CSR said they would activate it since I was in MVR beta testing. Hour later no MRV..... Call back CSR said they can't do it unless I upgrade. :mad: Asked to speak to supervisor. Sitting on hold now..... :mad::mad:
H20, HR20, HR21

#95 OFFLINE   Kevin872

Kevin872

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well... I ended up doing the package switcharoo that Doug mentioned, then I sent the email as suggested. I will see what happens. With a $140+/mo bill, I'm not sweating an extra buck, but yeah.... would have been nice to keep the older package (or not charge for MRV at all :D)

I just hope they are able to get it activated okay for me. It's funny.... we've been beta testing it since the very beginnings of MRV and although I tried it several times throughout to see it improve, my wife never used it. I mentioned a month or two ago (when the news came out here) that they planned to eventually charge money for it and my wife replied that it wasn't worth it... we don't use it. Well, I get home from work today and she says that she turned on the DVR in the kitchen and got set to watch a recording from the living room and got a message that the beta was over. "But I've been using that to watch all of my Ghost Hunter shows while eating lunch lately". Suddenly it was worth the $3. I'll just not mention that extra buck. :)
Happy DirecTV customer since 7-14-2003!

AU9 5LNB dish > SWM-16 > 8-way splitter

HR24-500 > HDMI to Panasonic 60" plasma & optical to Sony 5.1 DD/DTS Surround with 'Harmony One' in LR
HR21-700 > HDMI to Toshiba 37" LCD in MBR
HR20-700 > HDMI to Phillips 22" LCD in playroom
H21-200 > Component to Vulkano placeshifter in basement

MRV & Networking: DECA, connected to Internet

Gigabit LAN, Comcast Cable Internet, Lots o' computers

#96 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

MalibuRacing, turn that :mad: into a :), will ya?

I appreciate it's frustrating. I went through my own version this afternoon. Nobody has had training for this. The best they have are the instructions from Doug. It's a totally inadequate system but it's the one we have.

It will all work out. Maybe this is why Doug has asked us from now on to email DirecTV to activate MRV with Ethernet wiring. My guess is the email gets shuffled to someone who knows what's going on and can do the setup correctly.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#97 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Doug Brott is a god.

If this were true, I'd just wave my hand and everyone would have MRV just the way they want it .. but thanks for the sentiment. :)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#98 OFFLINE   bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Man, I going though the same nightmare now..... First CSR said they would activate it since I was in MVR beta testing. Hour later no MRV..... Call back CSR said they can't do it unless I upgrade. :mad: Asked to speak to supervisor. Sitting on hold now..... :mad::mad:

Deja Vu...

They even changed my legacy package to something else. Added MRV. And apparently when they change it back to the legacy package, it automatically removes MRV. The supervisor I spoke with said they were experiencing a lot of bugs in the system. His words, not mine. Very poorly executed rollout of this new service if you ask me.

Just wish my wife didn't have so many shows sitting on the dvrs. I might be looking at other options.

#99 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

so, Doug, what's the deal? Do we call or use email?

If it were me and I'd been waiting all day .. I'd call .. I'll leave it at that.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#100 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Deja Vu...

They even changed my legacy package to something else. Added MRV. And apparently when they change it back to the legacy package, it automatically removes MRV. The supervisor I spoke with said they were experiencing a lot of bugs in the system. His words, not mine. Very poorly executed rollout of this new service if you ask me.

Just wish my wife didn't have so many shows sitting on the dvrs. I might be looking at other options.

once they change package back it will dissapear but they can then turn it back on (basicaly they have to enable it a second time) and it will work..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...