Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1101 OFFLINE   seannorek

seannorek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I called last night to try to get them to send me a replacement deca because one of mine was broke. Then I asked to be put on whole home but I was told they had to send someone out. Just sent off the email per the OP so now I'll wait to see.

I've got one DVR hardwired and the other 2 using DECAs. D* says i'm not even set up with decas lol.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1102 OFFLINE   Camborita

Camborita

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

Just a quick note to let all know that I followed the instructions exactly as in post 1. Sent it off Friday night and WHDVR had been activated for me Saturday AM.

Nice when something works as it should!

#1103 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Fascinating thread. Strange that methods so old would still work.

#1104 OFFLINE   biscuitgod

biscuitgod

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Just wanted to add a quick note that this definitely still works. Followed post #1 exactly and service was activated in less than 2 hours!

#1105 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

I was able to get my whole home DVR service activated in unsupported mode a year ago and it has worked great since then. I just accepted a new two year agreement with an HD DVR upgrade (one of my boxes has just HD) in order to get Sunday Ticket Max for free. I want to make sure that when they come and swap out the boxes, my unsupported setup will still work. Are there any HD DVRs I should avoid (model numbers would be helpful) that won't work in unsupported mode? I think the HR24 disables the ethernet port as soon as the coax is connected, right? I don't want a deca or any extra dongles/devices as I don't want or need them as I'm setup now. Believe me, I thought about that before accepting the terms, but I'm running out of space on my first DVR and free Sunday Ticket Max is what I was really gunning for.

#1106 OFFLINE   joe221

joe221

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I was able to get my whole home DVR service activated in unsupported mode a year ago and it has worked great since then. I just accepted a new two year agreement with an HD DVR upgrade (one of my boxes has just HD) in order to get Sunday Ticket Max for free. I want to make sure that when they come and swap out the boxes, my unsupported setup will still work. Are there any HD DVRs I should avoid (model numbers would be helpful) that won't work in unsupported mode? I think the HR24 disables the ethernet port as soon as the coax is connected, right? I don't want a deca or any extra dongles/devices as I don't want or need them as I'm setup now. Believe me, I thought about that before accepting the terms, but I'm running out of space on my first DVR and free Sunday Ticket Max is what I was really gunning for.

When I did my 2 year re-up for the HR34 upgrade, they also did the SWiM & DECA upgrade for free. So now I only have one line coming in from my dish. Everything is neater too. See if they'll do that for free before they start doing anything.
Undo the order and start again if they don't . :nono:
Joe in West Los Angeles

#1107 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

When I did my 2 year re-up for the HR34 upgrade, they also did the SWiM & DECA upgrade for free. So now I only have one line coming in from my dish. Everything is neater too. See if they'll do that for free before they start doing anything.
Undo the order and start again if they don't . :nono:

HR 34 requires SWM where as a HD DVR does not. The tech didn't do anything special he did what was needed.

Edited by veryoldschool, 23 August 2012 - 05:56 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1108 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

HR 34 requires SWM where as a HD DVR does not. The tech didn't do anything special he did what was needed.

What?
You can't feed five tuners with only one coax without SWiM????
A.K.A VOS

#1109 OFFLINE   joe221

joe221

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Heitman said Whole Home DVR, not Multi Room Viewing. I assumed the 34.
Joe in West Los Angeles

#1110 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Are you getting a hr34 or something else? If your getting an hr34, take advantage, they should upgrade you to swim and deca, and its just easier that way and better. Anything else, its easy to stay with using your own network. And you have it backwards, if you plug anything into the Ethernet port on a hr24, it auto disables the coax networking that's built in.

The only device that can not do anything with Ethernet is the h25.

Everything else will work with either, but honestly, I don't see any point in sticking with your own networking if they will upgrade you for free, unless you have something really weird going on.

#1111 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

They didn't offer any deals on the HR34 so no deal there. I don't have a need or want for DECA, it's just extra cables and dongles. I actually have a couple wifi routers connected to each other wirelessly, one connected to my modem, the other connected wirelessly that feeds ethernet to my H21 for WHDVR. This setup works flawlessly and I have no desire for extra equipment. I've seen the home setup thread photos and it looks like a lot of extra stuff. If I had nothing but HR24s maybe it would be different, but you still have to integrate the DECA into your home networking.

#1112 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

They didn't offer any deals on the HR34 so no deal there. I don't have a need or want for DECA, it's just extra cables and dongles. I actually have a couple wifi routers connected to each other wirelessly, one connected to my modem, the other connected wirelessly that feeds ethernet to my H21 for WHDVR. This setup works flawlessly and I have no desire for extra equipment. I've seen the home setup thread photos and it looks like a lot of extra stuff. If I had nothing but HR24s maybe it would be different, but you still have to integrate the DECA into your home networking.

I understand what you're saying, and yes once you have receivers with the DECA internally, EVERYTHING becomes simpler, with less cables.
I don't have anything extra "except" a wireless CCK.
A.K.A VOS

#1113 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

I understand what you're saying, and yes once you have receivers with the DECA internally, EVERYTHING becomes simpler, with less cables.
I don't have anything extra "except" a wireless CCK.

Looking at my recent activity, I believe I'm getting the broadband DECA, not the wireless ($49 line item that is being reimbursed). I'm going over all the scenarios I could use to connect it, and then realize it's just easier the way I have it. Also, I don't use the WHDVR a ton, it will become more useful in the future though.

#1114 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

If I get the HR24 (no guarantee) I can just plug in my coax and ethernet and will be able to use WHDVR and OnDemand/internet features, correct? I thought the only issue occurs if you connect an HR24 as part of a DECA setup, it disables the LAN port. Since I have no DECA, I should be able to use the LAN port to connect for WHDVR and OnDemand/internet.

#1115 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Looking at my recent activity, I believe I'm getting the broadband DECA, not the wireless ($49 line item that is being reimbursed). I'm going over all the scenarios I could use to connect it, and then realize it's just easier the way I have it. Also, I don't use the WHDVR a ton, it will become more useful in the future though.

Everyone's uses/needs vary.
WHDVR was a major change for me, moving from "receivers" into a system where I can watch anything from anywhere, and setup my series links between DVRs so conflicts were gone, yet don't need to change which TV/receiver I was using to watch any of the recordings. "One integrated system".
Another plus I found is with the receivers that have an internal DECA, the whole network can be tested for its status. No longer is there any guessing as to what is causing a problem.
A.K.A VOS

#1116 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

If I get the HR24 (no guarantee) I can just plug in my coax and ethernet and will be able to use WHDVR and OnDemand/internet features, correct? I thought the only issue occurs if you connect an HR24 as part of a DECA setup, it disables the LAN port. Since I have no DECA, I should be able to use the LAN port to connect for WHDVR and OnDemand/internet.

The HR24 works fine without any of the new features. Needs BBCs if you're not using a SWiM.
The ethernet doesn't get disabled, as it's the other way around. Plugging ethernet in disables the internal DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#1117 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

The HR24 works fine without any of the new features. Needs BBCs if you're not using a SWiM.
The ethernet doesn't get disabled, as it's the other way around. Plugging ethernet in disables the internal DECA.

Okay, great. I have a SWM LNB so no need there. So much better than my first system with the 4 lines from the dish and plugging 2 into my HD DVR with a BBand converter for each.

#1118 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

All I will say to this is that you have way more work and extra stuff if you are running a bunch of wireless devices to connect things. But also as I said if you are not going to an hr34 it doesn't matter much IMHO until you start having issues. The day you do go deca.

#1119 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

I've looked at this thread and can't figure out my best options at this time and could use some advice please.

For equipment I have an HR22, HR23, H22 and a SWM switch installed. Nothing is hooked up to the internet yet. I have an ATT wi-fi DSL network in the house with a 3MB connection (max availabe in my area). EDIT: I have a Cat 5e cable connection between ny H23 and modem/router.

I recently received a letter from DirecTv offfering a free Cinema connection Kit.

I would like to have the whole house DVR setup, internet connection and 5 tuner DVR at the least cost.

Should I establish the undocumented connection with DirecTv or is there a better option now? If I go the undocumented route what will I need to do? What is my best option for establishing the network connection with DirecTv?

Are there cost considerations that affect which route I go?

Thank you!

Edited by tenn_, 24 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#1120 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Unless you have 802.11N or above wireless routers hooked up acting as bridges, you're going to run into issues not only running "unsupported" but in terms of being able to transmit so much data. I have no doubt if "unsupported" mode is activated on your account that you will run into issues at some point - either with choppy playback, inability to rewind/fast forward, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...