Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1121 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I've looked at this thread and can't figure out my best options at this time and could use some advice please.

For equipment I have an HR22, HR23, H22 and a SWM switch installed. Nothing is hooked up to the internet yet. I have an ATT wi-fi DSL network in the house with a 3MB connection (max availabe in my area).

I recently received a letter from DirecTv offfering a free Cinema connection Kit.

I would like to have the whole house DVR setup, internet connection and 5 tuner DVR.

Should I establish the undocumented connection with DirecTv or is there a better option now? If I go the undocumented route what will I need to do? What is my best option for establishing the network connection with DirecTv? Are ther cost considerations that affect which route I go?

Thank you!

Do you have ethernet (CAT5E or CAT6) cable running to your rooms? Or are planning on it? If yes to either question, go unsupported. If not, I'd suggest going the supported route and getting the free CCK - you might need to have DTV come out for setup.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1122 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Do you have ethernet (CAT5E or CAT6) cable running to your rooms? Or are planning on it? If yes to either question, go unsupported. If not, I'd suggest going the supported route and getting the free CCK - you might need to have DTV come out for setup.

I have a Cat 5e cable available between my H23 and modem/router is this one connection adequate?

#1123 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I have a Cat 5e cable available between my H23 and modem/router is this one connection adequate?

No - ideally you'd have a switch that is connected to your router. So it would look roughly like this:

Modem > Router > Switch. Then you'd have cable running from each switch to either rooms or devices. The switch allows for more than the 4 open RJ45 jacks on your router. Usually you find switches in 8, 16, 24 and on up configurations.

I'm guessing you don't have this setup, and it looks like your best option would be to call DTV and tell them you want WHDVR and see if you can work out a deal.

#1124 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

REVISED POST: I want to establsh MRV service and internet access. For equipment I have an HR22, 2: HR23's, a H22 and a SWM switch installed. None of it is connected to my 3Mbps connection, AT&T/Netgear "N" ADSL2+ modem/router yet.

I have a Cat 5e cable connection available between my H22 location and modem/router, I'm thinking about replacing this H22 with a HR34.

I recently received a letter from DirecTv offfering a free Cinema connection Kit.

What else will I need to get MRV service and DirecTv internet access established, are they easily installed or will I need an installer visit?

Thank you

Edited by tenn_, 26 August 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#1125 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

REVISED POST: I want to establsh MRV service and internet access. For equipment I have an HR22, 2ea HR23's, a H22 and a SWM switch installed. None of it is connected to my 3Mbps connection, AT&T/Netgear "N" ADSL2+ modem/router yet.

I have a Cat 5e cable connection available between my H22 location and modem/router, I'm thinking about replacing this H22 with a HR34.

What else will I need to get MRV service and DirecTv internet access established, are they easily installed or will I need an installer visit?

Thank you

Can anyone help me with the above questions?

Thank you!

#1126 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Can anyone help me with the above questions?

Thank you!

It's probably easiest to have them set things up for you, that way you can replace one or more of the older receivers. Might have better luck creating your own thread - this one doesn't get a lot of traffic anymore.

#1127 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

It's probably easiest to have them set things up for you, that way you can replace one or more of the older receivers. Might have better luck creating your own thread - this one doesn't get a lot of traffic anymore.

Thanks for the advice Doug, I did that.

#1128 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

Update: the installer came yesterday and was skeptical about my setup working with an HR24 so he tried to find something older in his truck. When he couldn't find anything but HR24s, he just hooked it up and it worked fine. So no DECA, still running WHDVR with ethernet (connected wirelessly router to router) and everything is working great. Love the HR24, the guide and menu scrolling is so much faster. Would have liked an HR34 but I couldn't get them under $200 for it, maybe in another year or two I can upgrade and get some of those new C31 boxes too. Looks really cool.

#1129 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Update: the installer came yesterday and was skeptical about my setup working with an HR24 so he tried to find something older in his truck. When he couldn't find anything but HR24s, he just hooked it up and it worked fine. So no DECA, still running WHDVR with ethernet (connected wirelessly router to router) and everything is working great. Love the HR24, the guide and menu scrolling is so much faster. Would have liked an HR34 but I couldn't get them under $200 for it, maybe in another year or two I can upgrade and get some of those new C31 boxes too. Looks really cool.

Awesome! by the way, just a heads up, you will have no choice but to go deca when you get c31s. Zero choice, it's the only way they work...

#1130 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Just Activated Yesterday - Unsupported Cat 5/6 100 mps Switch VIA EMAIL

HR20/HR21 and HR23 - Want to Upgrade a SD DVR

I can playback anything recorded on the existing 3 DVRs but cannot seem to be able to tell the bedroom DVR (HR20) to record something if I already have two programs recording on the family room (HR21 or HR 23)

I am looking at buying a used H21/22/23 Receiver but want to be sure that it will be able to select programs to record from the Receiver without having to go to one of the other rooms to schedule it

I am going to do a reboot later today when no one is watching

REBOOTED TWO HR20&HR23- HR20 ABILITY TO SEE THE OTHER TWO, DISCONECTED FROM SWITCH AND RECONNECTED I AM TRYING A SOFT RESET on both the DVR and SWITCH

IT's Back

Edited by Rent_Share, 14 December 2012 - 11:24 AM.
Update

#1131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Just Activated Yesterday - Unsupported Cat 5/6 100 mps Switch VIA EMAIL

HR20/HR21 and HR23 - Want to Upgrade a SD DVR

I can playback anything recorded on the existing 3 DVRs but cannot seem to be able to tell the bedroom DVR (HR20) to record something if I already have two programs recording on the family room (HR21 or HR 23)

I am looking at buying a used H21/22/23 Receiver but want to be sure that it will be able to select programs to record from the Receiver without having to go to one of the other rooms to schedule it

I am going to do a reboot later today when no one is watching

REBOOTED TWO HR20&HR23- HR20 ABILITY TO SEE THE OTHER TWO, DISCONECTED FROM SWITCH AND RECONNECTED I AM TRYING A SOFT RESET on both the DVR and SWITCH

IT's Back

You can not set something to record on one DVR from another DVR. You can set up a remote recording from a non DVR Hi Definition recover, or an iPad app, DIRECTV.com, etc.

#1132 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

It sounds like you want to end up with four HR2x and one H2x.

Adding a ninth tuner may be more trouble than going into the other room and setting the recording the old fashioned way. Remember that this "feature" would cost you an $6/month Addtional TV Fee (still arguably cheaper than a iDevice).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1133 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

It sounds like you want to end up with four HR2x and one H2x.

Now that I have found that a an H2X can select programs to record on a HR2X . . . . (Still Not clear, One Designated or any HR2X)

Three HR2x - In Possession MRV Enabled Unsupported Cat 5
One H2X (Not 20 or 25) to Replace SD Tivo 708

7 Tuners

Leaves me room to consider either reactivating the SD Tuner or another H2X box in the guest room / office.

Edited by Rent_Share, 17 December 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#1134 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Now that I have found that a an H2X can select programs to record on a HR2X . . . . (Still Not clear, One Designated or any HR2X)

Three HR2x - In Possession MRV Enabled Unsupported Cat 5
One H2X (Not 20 or 25) to Replace SD Tivo 708

7 Tuners

Leaves me room to consider either reactivating the SD Tuner or another H2X box in the guest room / office.

What do you mean still not clear? You mean which can it set a recording to? Any in the system, it gives you a pop up and you can ask which unit to set the recording on.

And sense you are unspotted for some reason, just know there are ways to get the h25 to work un supported Ethernet. The h20 however is not Whole Home Service compatible at all.

#1135 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Just wanted to add a quick note that this definitely still works. Followed post #1 exactly and service was activated in less than 2 hours!

In that post, it says pick "services" under topic. When I go there, I see nothing that has that as a selection. What should I choose?

#1136 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

DirecTV has just revamped their website, so the options are a bit different. I'd suggest selecting "Account Management" and then "Change My Services"

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#1137 OFFLINE   Deolman

Deolman

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

WOW! This forum and all of the people on it rock! I followed the instructions for sending an email for Whole Home at 4:00 PM this afternoon. At 10:00 PM this evening I noticed it had been enabled. No reboot, nothing, it just started working. It will get interesting because the HR20 receiver I have is dieing a slow death. I talked to tech support last night and they are sending me another receiver. It will be my luck the new receiver will require a SWM for Whole Home.

At any rate, kudos to all the members here that help others along with a hearty thank you.

Edited by Deolman, 05 March 2013 - 12:18 AM.
Stupid typo - LOL

#1138 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,406 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

WOW! This forum and all of the people on it rock! I followed the instructions for sending an email for Whole Home at 4:00 PM this afternoon. At 10:00 PM this evening I noticed it had been enabled. No reboot, nothing, it just started working. It will get interesting because the HR20 receiver I have is dieing a slow death. I talked to tech support last night and they are sending me another receiver. It will be my luck the new receiver will require a SWM for Whole Home.

At any rate, kudos to all the members here that help others along with a hearty thank you.

your welcome, if you have any questions we're here to help.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#1139 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

DirecTV has just revamped their website, so the options are a bit different. I'd suggest selecting "Account Management" and then "Change My Services"

Hi Diana C,

I just need to connect my Decas to HR21,HR22 and connect Deca adapter to router and 8-way switch to complete my hardware setup for Whole House. Using DirecTVs login, I chose My Account>My Equipment>Scroll to bottom of page>MyServices>Whole-Home DVR>Click to Activate Now. I get a Not Eligible on mine-When I click call to active Whole Home, this message pops up..." Please call 1-800-531-5000. Your DIRECTV system requires professional installation for Whole-Home DVR service. An equipment upgrade may also be required. Installation charges apply. Our customer service representatives are ready to discuss your TV entertainment needs."

I did the 4-wire to Single Wire through SWM-8 which I purchased, then connected
my HR21, HR22, and 2-HR24s through approved 8-way splitter. All receivers are working fine through Single wire and show 2-tuners each. Network ready but no hookups done at this time. Of course, DirecTV isn't aware that I did the 4 to Single Wire equipment upgrade myself. (With lots of help from VOS and others here)

I really don't need addtional hardware or a DirecTV truck roll.
Any suggestions how to proceed from here?

Thanks to all who helped me get this far!,
sgibson

#1140 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi Diana C,

I just need to connect my Decas to HR21,HR22 and connect Deca adapter to router and 8-way switch to complete my hardware setup for Whole House. Using DirecTVs login, I chose My Account>My Equipment>Scroll to bottom of page>MyServices>Whole-Home DVR>Click to Activate Now. I get a Not Eligible on mine-When I click call to active Whole Home, this message pops up..." Please call 1-800-531-5000. Your DIRECTV system requires professional installation for Whole-Home DVR service. An equipment upgrade may also be required. Installation charges apply. Our customer service representatives are ready to discuss your TV entertainment needs."

I did the 4-wire to Single Wire through SWM-8 which I purchased, then connected
my HR21, HR22, and 2-HR24s through approved 8-way splitter. All receivers are working fine through Single wire and show 2-tuners each. Network ready but no hookups done at this time. Of course, DirecTV isn't aware that I did the 4 to Single Wire equipment upgrade myself. (With lots of help from VOS and others here)

I really don't need addtional hardware or a DirecTV truck roll.
Any suggestions how to proceed from here?

Thanks to all who helped me get this far!,
sgibson

Seems like you either need to read the first post in this thread and go unsupported or call DirecTV and get them to update your system hardware listing.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall