Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1141 OFFLINE   notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

this is a record of my emails to get my WH up and going...of course your email may need different particulars, and pricing, but............

Initial email:

Customer By Web Form (Richard ) - 05/27/2011 12:44 PM
Please activate the Whole Home feature on my account as "unsupported" so that I may use my Multi Room Viewing again as I did during the beta trials. I understand that my account will be billed another $3 for Whole Home DVR, even though I DO NOT wish to use the internet network setup at this time, and only want to utilize the MRV.
I DO NOT require any more installation with my present setup to achieve MRV as I have ALL my HD SWM compatible receivers on their own HD dish with a SL3S4NR2-03 SWM LNB, with one
line into the house to a msplit8r1-03 8 way splitter, with the pass thru line going to a DVR with the PI21R1-03 connected. The other receivers with one line in each from the splitter.
All receivers also have the Deca unit attached. The parts are ALL "green" labeled and all the receivers ARE presently working as expected. The SD receivers are all on their own separate dish at the other end of the house, and are not a factor for this setup.

Thank you for your great service.
Richard

First Response, which apparently is normal.

--- On Fri, 5/27/11, DIRECTV Customer Service <directvcustomercare@directv.com> wrote:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Whole Home DVR Service

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Cristina R. - redacted) - 05/27/2011 04:49 PM
Dear Richard,

Thanks for taking time out of your day to share your concerns with us. I see that you're one of our long time customers. We want to let you know that we value your commitment and loyalty to DIRECTV. I understand that you're interested in the Whole Home DVR Service. As you already know, DIRECTV Whole Home DVR Service gives you the power to share all of your recorded programs with any TV in your house. You can also:

* Record, delete, pause and rewind your favorite shows no matter where you are
* Manage your DVR playlist from any room
* Record two shows while watching two others
* Set separate parental controls for each TV
* Watch your recorded shows in HD in any room

For more information on Whole Home DVR please visit directv.com/wholehome.

To start recording and watching your favorite programs in any room, one of your networked TVs needs to be connected to a Whole-Home capable HD DVR and your other TVs will need to be connected to Whole-Home capable HD receivers. HD Access, DVR Service and Whole-Home DVR service ($3.00/month) are also required.

To find out if your DIRECTV equipment is indeed compatible with Whole-Home DVR service, to add the Whole-Home DVR service or to learn about special upgrade offers please call us at 1-800-531-5000.

We respect your time Richard and I appreciate that you've given me the opportunity to personally address your concerns about the Whole Home DVR Service.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Cristina R. - redacted
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

My second email:

I fully understand how the Whole Home DVR System works. Please activate it ! ! ! The cost to me will be an additional $3.00 per month. I understand that.

I have all the green label equipment and deca in place and ready to go. I do not need a service call. I am requesting the unsupported mode.

Please advise me when it will be activated.

RICHARD

After I sent that email, my whole home was activated that evening without a call or email :)....I learned this reading this whole thread, but at 46 pages now, perhaps this will save some reading time!!!!

BTW, with 4 dual pvrs, you're now at your limit for a SWM lnb of 8 tuners, so if you do plan to add anymore ;), you'll need to convert back to a non SWM lnb with 4 lines, and use a SWM 16 multiswitch, and also, with that said, you only needed to use a 4 way splitter for your present system, not an 8 since they're all single wired.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by veryoldschool, 25 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1142 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I did the 4-wire to Single Wire through SWM-8 which I purchased, then connected my HR21, HR22, and 2-HR24s through approved 8-way splitter. All receivers are working fine through Single wire and show 2-tuners each. Network ready but no hookups done at this time. Of course, DirecTV isn't aware that I did the 4 to Single Wire equipment upgrade myself. (With lots of help from VOS and others here)

I really don't need addtional hardware or a DirecTV truck roll.
Any suggestions how to proceed from here?

Call DirecTV and tell the CSR that you installed SWM equipment and that you'd like them to update your account to reflect that fact. When I did this a couple of weeks ago, they transferred me to another Customer Service group (equipment department?). At first, the guy from the second department didn't understand why I was calling. I explained to him that I was previously using unsupported Whole-Home but that I had added a SWM multi-switch and wanted DirecTV to know, so that my Whole-Home service would now be supported.

Once I explained everything from start to finish. He said "OK. That makes sense" and updated my account to reflect the equipment that was actually installed.

#1143 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have all the green label equipment and deca in place and ready to go. I do not need a service call. I am requesting the unsupported mode.

You don't need to be in unsupported mode. Call DirecTV, have them update your account to reflect that you have SWM & DECA equipment installed and your Whole-Home DVR service will be supported.

#1144 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Call DirecTV and tell the CSR that you installed SWM equipment and that you'd like them to update your account to reflect that fact. When I did this a couple of weeks ago, they transferred me to another Customer Service group (equipment department?). At first, the guy from the second department didn't understand why I was calling. I explained to him that I was previously using unsupported Whole-Home but that I had added a SWM multi-switch and wanted DirecTV to know, so that my Whole-Home service would now be supported.

Once I explained everything from start to finish. He said "OK. That makes sense" and updated my account to reflect the equipment that was actually installed.

Bill,

Thanks for sharing that!

sgibson

#1145 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

this is a record of my emails to get my WH up and going...of course your email may need different particulars, and pricing, but............

Initial email:

Customer By Web Form (Richard ) - 05/27/2011 12:44 PM
Please activate the Whole Home feature on my account as "unsupported" so that I may use my Multi Room Viewing again as I did during the beta trials. I understand that my account will be billed another $3 for Whole Home DVR, even though I DO NOT wish to use the internet network setup at this time, and only want to utilize the MRV.
I DO NOT require any more installation with my present setup to achieve MRV as I have ALL my HD SWM compatible receivers on their own HD dish with a SL3S4NR2-03 SWM LNB, with one
line into the house to a msplit8r1-03 8 way splitter, with the pass thru line going to a DVR with the PI21R1-03 connected. The other receivers with one line in each from the splitter.
All receivers also have the Deca unit attached. The parts are ALL "green" labeled and all the receivers ARE presently working as expected. The SD receivers are all on their own separate dish at the other end of the house, and are not a factor for this setup.

Thank you for your great service.
Richard

First Response, which apparently is normal.

--- On Fri, 5/27/11, DIRECTV Customer Service <directvcustomercare@directv.com> wrote:

Subject
Whole Home DVR Service

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Cristina R. - redacted) - 05/27/2011 04:49 PM
Dear Richard,

Thanks for taking time out of your day to share your concerns with us. I see that you're one of our long time customers. We want to let you know that we value your commitment and loyalty to DIRECTV. I understand that you're interested in the Whole Home DVR Service. As you already know, DIRECTV Whole Home DVR Service gives you the power to share all of your recorded programs with any TV in your house. You can also:

* Record, delete, pause and rewind your favorite shows no matter where you are
* Manage your DVR playlist from any room
* Record two shows while watching two others
* Set separate parental controls for each TV
* Watch your recorded shows in HD in any room

For more information on Whole Home DVR please visit directv.com/wholehome.

To start recording and watching your favorite programs in any room, one of your networked TVs needs to be connected to a Whole-Home capable HD DVR and your other TVs will need to be connected to Whole-Home capable HD receivers. HD Access, DVR Service and Whole-Home DVR service ($3.00/month) are also required.

To find out if your DIRECTV equipment is indeed compatible with Whole-Home DVR service, to add the Whole-Home DVR service or to learn about special upgrade offers please call us at 1-800-531-5000.

We respect your time Richard and I appreciate that you've given me the opportunity to personally address your concerns about the Whole Home DVR Service.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Cristina R. - redacted
DIRECTV Customer Service

P.S. Have a question? Anytime, any topic, instant answers - support.directv.com The Answer Center provides you helpful information, 24/7, all at your fingertips.

My second email:

I fully understand how the Whole Home DVR System works. Please activate it ! ! ! The cost to me will be an additional $3.00 per month. I understand that.

Please advise me when it will be activated.

RICHARD

After I sent that email, my whole home was activated that evening without a call or email :)....I learned this reading this whole thread, but at 46 pages now, perhaps this will save some reading time!!!!

BTW, with 4 dual pvrs, you're now at your limit for a SWM lnb of 8 tuners, so if you do plan to add anymore ;), you'll need to convert back to a non SWM lnb with 4 lines, and use a SWM 16 multiswitch, and also, with that said, you only needed to use a 4 way splitter for your present system, not an 8 since they're all single wired.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard,

Thanks for providing your in-depth response. Saved me a bunch of reading.
Good advice. I finished all my connections. BroadBand Adapter and Decas for HR21, 22 came today. My receivers passed all DirecTV Tests, except for one HR24. A Red button reset fixed that. The 8-way splitter came with SWM-8 and PI29 from eBay (all NIB). I don't plan on any additional HDRs or Devices, so I'm good.

Thanks again,
sgibson

#1146 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Seems like you either need to read the first post in this thread and go unsupported or call DirecTV and get them to update your system hardware listing.

VOS,
As always, thanks for your expertise and guidance.
I'm finally hooked up and ready to call DTV for Whole-Home
sgibson

#1147 OFFLINE   sgibson

sgibson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

VOS,
As always, thanks for your expertise and guidance.
I'm finally hooked up and ready to call DTV for Whole-Home
sgibson

Today, I phoned DirecTV and spoke with CSR. I explained I have all the
equipment needed to add "Whole-Home DVR Service". Explained I had the necessary SWM-8, green splitter and Decas. She confirmed, then had me do a red-button reset on my Primary Receiver and walked me through the setup. CSR then Authorized Whole-Home and that's all Folks! Took about 12 minutes total. Now enjoying the convenience of Watching/Recording/Deleting from anywhere in my Home.

Thanks to all here for your help,
sgibson

#1148 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I would just call technical support to activate whole-home service although it would be unsupported MRV, as long as your receivers are networked either Direct Ethernet or Wifi via WIreless Cinema Connection Kit (wcck) (preferably Ethernet for stable connection) Then it should be no problem from there, but of course that means you would not get any help in troubleshooting MRV connection from Directv (hence the unsupported mode) As long as you know how to give IP address to each DVR via your router either static or dhcp and as long as you know your IP Address,MAC address,Subnet Mask,Default Gateway and DNS which is should show on your computer and router.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#1149 OFFLINE   notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

I would just call technical support to activate whole-home service although it would be unsupported MRV, as long as your receivers are networked either Direct Ethernet or Wifi via WIreless Cinema Connection Kit (wcck) (preferably Ethernet for stable connection) Then it should be no problem from there, but of course that means you would not get any help in troubleshooting MRV connection from Directv (hence the unsupported mode) As long as you know how to give IP address to each DVR via your router either static or dhcp and as long as you know your IP Address,MAC address,Subnet Mask,Default Gateway and DNS which is should show on your computer and router.

Just to keep things clear, whole home and networking (which is what your are describing here) are two completely different things that can work together OR separately. For whole home, once authorized, all you need is a deca for each machine (H23 and below, H24 and above are built in), and that's it!!!! I purchased the powered deca for my router, and it's still in a box.
For networking, after using my WH for a year, I then added the networking via Veryoldschool's method posted here with Direct Ethernet and a network 5 way splitter, and still didn't need my powered deca for the router. And for those who might wonder ;), you do NEED a USA ip for the networking to work 100% (such as VOD)...you can get some utilities to work without one, but for downloads and Pandora, only a USA ip will work :)

#1150 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

This can't be done anymore unless you actually have all the hardware: SWM/DECAs/BSFs. (this is something new)
If you have a legacy setup with Ethernet you can no longer just call and get MRV added, unless its been on your account before.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#1151 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

This can't be done anymore unless you actually have all the hardware: SWM/DECAs/BSFs. (this is something new)
If you have a legacy setup with Ethernet you can no longer just call and get MRV added, unless its been on your account before.

How new is this policy? Is is less than 3 week old? If you take a look a few posts back (post 1137), Deolman had unsupported MRV turned on just 3 weeks ago by following the instructions at the beginning of this thread.

If the policy is more than 3 weeks old, maybe the policy is that CSR's can't add unsupported MRV. But it appears that somebody can.

#1152 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Unless this is a new policy, I don't see why it can't be done because I did this a month ago on legacy system (Non SWM) Which all it needs to be is Ethernet connected to each receiver going to be used for MRV, Of course tech support would want you to be on regular supported mode on (SWM,DECA) and they will always persuade you to go that route which is fine, But if you want to have whole home unsupported and have the setup/experience on networking each receiver with unique IP Address then they will have no problem activating, Of course they will tell you there is always going to be issues and they will not help you with that and as long as you're comfortable with that and know the risk involved. And no I didn't have whole home before on my account. This is my first MRV activation unsupported.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#1153 OFFLINE   notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Remember, as I said in an earlier post, they usually always turn down the first request, so you have to try and second time and get a little more aggressive about it ;) worked for me and others here!!!

#1154 OFFLINE   ColinWD

ColinWD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hopefully NOT to hijack the thread but I am in a dilemma and need some advice.

I have had the MRV using my home network for some time now and it working consistently has been spotty at best. I have tried a number of different ways of troubleshooting and making changes and it still has not worked every time.

As I see it my options are:

1. Shut it off and give up.

2. Have them come out and actually install all the hardware to make it work.

3. Wait for the latest Genie to become available and go that route.

Currently I have two TV's but may add one in the near future.

Any guidance or sage advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Regards,

Colin
-------------------------------------------------------------------
HR21-700
HR20-700
Hughes HDVR2
AT9 5 LNB Dish
Pioneer Elite Pro FHD-1 (HDMI)
Linksys PLE200 PowerLine Ethernet

#1155 OFFLINE   notdeadyet

notdeadyet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

my WH never disconnects, so I would be looking at a faulty connection somewhere, or a bad Deca...your decas should always have green lights, if yellow the connection isn't there...we would need your exact set up and equipment used to help you out more than this.

#1156 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have had the MRV using my home network for some time now and it working consistently has been spotty at best. I have tried a number of different ways of troubleshooting and making changes and it still has not worked every time.

My guess is that that the source of your problem is in your signature. IMO, Powerline Ethernet is spotty at best.

#1157 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,925 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

my WH never disconnects, so I would be looking at a faulty connection somewhere, or a bad Deca...your decas should always have green lights, if yellow the connection isn't there...we would need your exact set up and equipment used to help you out more than this.

The poster doesn't have DECA, and is using MRV over the home network in unsupported fashion which is now experiencing problems is the issue.

#1158 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks

Upgrade to genie.

#1159 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I don't think a Genie upgrade in and of itself will be of any value with regard to the issues ColinWD has. Ethernet MRV, in a solid ethernet environment, can be quite successful. However (as Bill Broderick noted), his use of power line adapters (anyplace in the system) can absolutely cause significant detrimental impacts on his LAN. His best solution is to go all DECA and get off ethernet unless he has hard wired LAN to every location.

I'm pretty sure a Genie upgrade would require supported whole-home, which would put him on DECA, but Genie in and of itself isn't the solution.

#1160 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks

Reboot Router and Reset Network Setup is the first thing you can try, Second would be menu reset receivers that have issues and refresh ip address from router to assign new ip's.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

spam firewall