Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enabling MRV using your home networking

• Please log in to reply
1190 replies to this topic

#1161 OFFLINE   ColinWD

ColinWD

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice.

I do not have wired in every room thus the power line adapters and more than likely the source of the problems.

Looks like DECA is the way to proceed.

Thanks again.
Regards,

Colin
-------------------------------------------------------------------
HR21-700
HR20-700
Hughes HDVR2
AT9 5 LNB Dish
Pioneer Elite Pro FHD-1 (HDMI)
Linksys PLE200 PowerLine Ethernet

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1162 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I currently have an HR21 and HR22 connected in the unsupported mode going through my router.  I have problems browsing the internet when streaming HD from the other box.  Do these devices need to see the internet to work?  I have an additional router and was thinking of putting them on another network to eliminate the bandwith hog that streaming HD is, but would like to eliminate them from my cable modem altoghether.   

#1163 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

I currently have an HR21 and HR22 connected in the unsupported mode going through my router.  I have problems browsing the internet when streaming HD from the other box.  Do these devices need to see the internet to work?  I have an additional router and was thinking of putting them on another network to eliminate the bandwith hog that streaming HD is, but would like to eliminate them from my cable modem altoghether.   

I'd recommend ordering 2 DECA units and a CCK (or WCCK, or 3rd DECA with power supply) and remove the Ethernet connection from your HRs.

This will get all the MRV traffic off your router and still give the HRs internet access.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#1164 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I'd recommend ordering 2 DECA units and a CCK (or WCCK, or 3rd DECA with power supply) and remove the Ethernet connection from your HRs.

This will get all the MRV traffic off your router and still give the HRs internet access.

Do the DECA's require SWiM?  I am still running two rg6 cables with BBC to each receiver.  I think my switch is SWiM capable, but I know my LNB is not.  So, I take it they do need to see the internet.  Perhaps just giving them their own router will be enough with a connection through my internet router. 

Edited by VABlitz, 13 June 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#1165 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

They do require SWiM. 

Instead of adding a router for them, just put them on their own switch with one jumper back to the router.

#1166 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

They do require SWiM. 

Instead of adding a router for them, just put them on their own switch with one jumper back to the router.

That's basically what I was going to do.  I do not have a switch, but I will configure the old extra router I have as a switch (I think you can configure it as a switch).  

Edited by VABlitz, 13 June 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#1167 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Just be sure DHCP is off on the one used as a switch.  (and probably wifi unless you set it up properly.)

#1168 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

That's basically what I was going to do.  I do not have a switch, but I will configure the old extra router I have as a switch (I think you can configure it as a switch).

You can easily get a small Gigabit switch for under $20 so trying to convert a beater router is probably not your best investment.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1169 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Your inquiry has received a number of good answers and really you have several options. Have DirectTV "drive the bus" and go DECA between the servers. From what you say you  have, you will need a SWM switch (or dish), 2 DECA units for the DVRs and a CCK if you wish on demand access.

But I had run 4 coumputers, up to 8 DVRs and several HD receivers on a 10/100 switched network with no issues. (there is something not right with what you have) I have since gone to a full gig switched fabric, added wireless "N", and also have 3 DVRs and 2 HR receivers on DECA bridged via a CCK. (way more complex than you need but to illustrate with good components your unsupportted Whole Home should work without doing what you are seeing it do now.

Future proofing and gaining full support make the DECA option probablly the best but I don't know what kind of pricetag that conversion may net you (149-199?) You should call and ask. Try to negociate. . . You can upgrade your router and toss in a switch for 100 to 150 dollars that would fix things in your current installation. (possibly less but too cheap and you are back where you are) All things being equal the DECA conversion is the path of least resistance long term and offers support.

But on reasonable quality 10/100 equipment you shouldn't see what you are seeing. Just adding a switch and connecting the DVRs up on that might "fix" what you are seeing but it shouldn't be doing that at all. Perhaps your router has a hub instead of a switch?

Don "remember to wax the string and pull taut" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#1170 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:01 PM

Your inquiry has received a number of good answers and really you have several options. Have DirectTV "drive the bus" and go DECA between the servers. From what you say you  have, you will need a SWM switch (or dish), 2 DECA units for the DVRs and a CCK if you wish on demand access.

But I had run 4 coumputers, up to 8 DVRs and several HD receivers on a 10/100 switched network with no issues. (there is something not right with what you have) I have since gone to a full gig switched fabric, added wireless "N", and also have 3 DVRs and 2 HR receivers on DECA bridged via a CCK. (way more complex than you need but to illustrate with good components your unsupportted Whole Home should work without doing what you are seeing it do now.

Future proofing and gaining full support make the DECA option probablly the best but I don't know what kind of pricetag that conversion may net you (149-199?) You should call and ask. Try to negociate. . . You can upgrade your router and toss in a switch for 100 to 150 dollars that would fix things in your current installation. (possibly less but too cheap and you are back where you are) All things being equal the DECA conversion is the path of least resistance long term and offers support.

But on reasonable quality 10/100 equipment you shouldn't see what you are seeing. Just adding a switch and connecting the DVRs up on that might "fix" what you are seeing but it shouldn't be doing that at all. Perhaps your router has a hub instead of a switch?

Don "remember to wax the string and pull taut" Bolton

Yeah, part of the problem is one of the receivers is running wireless N.  I really need to run a CAT6 cable to it, but the heat in my attic is torture.  I rarely use the network stream, but always have to remember when I do it destroys my internet connection.  I also found a gigabit switch I had laying around, but without the CAT6 cable it is no use. 

#1171 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Future proofing and gaining full support make the DECA option probablly the best but I don't know what kind of pricetag that conversion may net you (149-199?)

I'm not convinced the DECA is synonymous with future proofing. There's been a lot of grumbling about having to go from ODU to SWM-xx as well as the apparent lack of a certain upgrade path should they come out with something that handles more, perhaps narrower, channels.

Right up to the point that SWiM became available, HomePlug was the "future".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1172 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I also found a gigabit switch I had laying around, but without the CAT6 cable it is no use.

CAT6 is NOT required for Gigabit. A reasonable quality CAT5e (or even a 250MHz+ CAT5) should work just fine.

#1173 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

CAT6 is NOT required for Gigabit. A reasonable quality CAT5e (or even a 250MHz+ CAT5) should work just fine.

I am aware of that, but the difference in price from CAT5E to CAT6 is insignificant.  I also have CAT6 cables already bought for the job, just too lazy to run them. 

#1174 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'm not convinced the DECA is synonymous with future proofing. There's been a lot of grumbling about having to go from ODU to SWM-xx as well as the apparent lack of a certain upgrade path should they come out with something that handles more, perhaps narrower, channels.

Well, considering that DirecTV is heavily invested in SWM and DECA at this point, I think we can safely say that DirecTV is committed to that technology for the near future. Enhancements can be made to SWM that are easily backward compatible with what people have now. It eases installation for installers and creates an easier avenue for providing technical support. And yes, while a SWM-LNB needs to be replaced if a user wants more than 8 tuners, the setup inside the house is not much different than it was before the upgrade.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#1175 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

Not sure how you would consider the HomePlug as the future. There were, are very unreliable
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#1176 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

Not sure how you would consider the HomePlug as the future. There were, are very unreliable

It was what DIRECTV offered at the time (remembering that MRV was available looooong before DECA came on the scene and they renamed it Whole Home DVR Service).

As for compatibility with advancements in the technology, I'm not seeing where DIRECTV has a plan to handle MoCA 2 (DECA is ostensibly MoCA 1.1 with a "mid-RF" extension).

I would also point out that the DECA hardware appears not to be MoCA approved (in much the same way that the Genies aren't RVU approved).

#1177 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,323 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Home plug was never installed for Whole Home Service. Only for internet connectivity for vod. In fact Whole Home Service has only ever been truly supported over deca as I recall. It's year plus on Ethernet was mostly testing not actual launch. That didn't happen t ill they started charging for it which coincided with deca launch.

#1178 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Home plug was never installed for Whole Home Service. Only for internet connectivity for vod. In fact Whole Home Service has only ever been truly supported over deca as I recall. It's year plus on Ethernet was mostly testing not actual launch. That didn't happen t ill they started charging for it which coincided with deca launch.

Yup. Home Plug was for Internet access for DVRs for VOD. Whole Home has always been via DECA except for the beta using Ethernet. Of course, we know that since we've used DirecTV during those times.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#1179 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Is there any benefit to getting the newer version of the DECA's?  Noticed someone on Amazon selling the white early-DECA for $10, while Solid Signal charges $50 for either one. 

#1180 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Is there any benefit to getting the newer version of the DECA's?  Noticed someone on Amazon selling the white early-DECA for $10, while Solid Signal charges $50 for either one. 

AFAKI, no. As long as the white DECA's have the green lable on them they work the same as the newer model DECA's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...